CX-300's Vs CX-500's

eirejam

Established Member
Reaction score
I just got my hands on the new sennheiser CX-500's and I'm really impressed with them so far. I got the titanium version of the set and they look very nice. They look similar to the CX-300's except the build quality is slightly better. They come with six sets of the ear adaptors, a nice holding pouch, a cable winder(very handy) and a cable clip. They also have a volume control on the cable like the 300's.
The most important thing is obviously sound quality and the CX-500's don't disappoint. The extra bass over the 300's is evident straight away. The sound is a lot punchier. There also seems to be an improvement on the top end, the clarity of the mp3's I played was excellent.

Anyone who is considering on getting the cx-300's I would recommend the CX-500's instead.
This is just my personal opinion. Other manufactures make very good in ear headphones but I'm just saying that the CX-500's are better than the CX-300's.

interesting!
thinking of upgrading my cx300's and looking at the new Sennheiser range the cx400's have to be considered as a cheaper option than the cx500, £30 ish on ebay v £50 play.com. i'll have to think this one over!

I think it's worth saying that the CX500s are significantly more expensive that the CX300s, and for anyone Googling for the best price, there are a lot of stories of counterfeit Sennheisers. I don't know how true they are.

beware buying earphone on ebay as there are a quite a lot of fake products.... (fake products suppliers: http://www.diytrade.com/directory/global/china-manufacturers/513755/products-list.html) :clap::clap::clap:

Yes you do have to beware.

The pictures of the CX 400s and CX 500s on that website are of genuine units. I've just done a direct comparision.

So if they are fake then the packaging is a perfect copy or they could dispatch units different to those in the pictures.

Other than that the 400s and 500s look real. Also those model of units are manufactured in china so it's not impossible that they are genuine.

Hi

I've just posted on another thread but then noticed your comments.

I have Sony MDR EX082 headphones that came with my NWZA 818. sound quality fab - incredibly short cable length to left earpiece dire when exercising.

I've done bit of research and CX500 have excellent reviews for sound quality and have a symmetrical cable. Will I be able to walk without feeling like my left earpiece is being pulled out each step or if I want to move my head!!!!

Thanks

Can the CX500 ou CX95 be better than the Etymotics ER6i? :confused:

I like my CX300 a lot and they were cheap on Ebay (and not fake:D)! ;)

Just bought a pair of Black CX400 over Ebay. :)

Hope they are also better then the CX300... I love these!:D

My white CX300 get very dirty inside my helmet...:mad:
Will keep them to hear around...:)

Whats wrong with CX300's, The Bass on mine is awesome, newer does not necessarily mean better. I think especially now the cx300 is a bargain :thumbsup:

My CX300 are very good too and ..:thumbsup:

I just a need a black pair to use inside the motorbike pair and going to try the CX400... and have a carrying pouch :) and symmetrical cable... ;) Too things the CX300 needed. :(

Wow, the CX500 must have truly ferocious bass if they have even more of it than the CX300. My CX300 are incredibly punchy and bassy for such a cheap pair of earbuds.

I bought CX-300's on ebay, and the wiring under the jack has come away and the sound in the left ear cant be heard!? Anyone reckon these are fakes and could I do anything about it? I bought them several months ago and they have the logos on them. the box was identical to the ones in shops too, i checked them. They were £8.99 but I thought I had them at a steal, not got ripped off!! :lease:

I bought CX-300's on ebay, and the wiring under the jack has come away and the sound in the left ear cant be heard!? Anyone reckon these are fakes and could I do anything about it? I bought them several months ago and they have the logos on them. the box was identical to the ones in shops too, i checked them. They were £8.99 but I thought I had them at a steal, not got ripped off!! :lease:
Hey dude,
I bought these headphones from ebay and had the same problem as you... but they were sooo awsome I dont really care. Il be buying some more... im thinking about the cx500 now.

To be honest Sennheiser in-ear monitor earphones are sounding a little dated these days. They all seem to over-emphasise the bass and you miss a lot of detail in your music.

We generally recommend Goldring GX200 in-ear earphones at the £30-£50 price point. The bass response is well defined and the mids/highs are very clear and accurate.

With their 'round the corner' design the fit with the GX200 is much better than Sennheiser CX300 or CX500. The GX200's also come with some Comply Foam ear tips, which really enhances the bass response and sound isolation.

Last edited:
Would anyone recommend the CX500's over the CX300's? I'm tempted by a new pair of in-earphones as my current Shure SE210's are a pain as they just won't stay in my ears, even when changing the adaptor thing. My bro has a pair of CX300's and they are awesome, just wondered whether its worth getting CX500's over them? Thanks!

I bought some CX-500 on ebay for £20.
I don't honestly know whether they are real or fake! How do you tell?
They sound pretty good to me though!

I've had a pair of CX300s for a while now and they're great, so I suppose it depends how much you want to spend. Personally, I can't tell the difference between CX300s and some £300+ headphones.

sorry to revive a really old thread but seemed pointless to create a new one:

i have just worn out my CX300s - the left earphone has conked out after only 4 months but i really liked them

i also had a pair of Goldring GX200s previous to that but found them uncomfortable - really didn't like them at all.

looking on play.com the Cx500s are £17.99 (although they were only £15.99 yesterday:rolleyes:)

the only reason i am weary about buying them is that i see they have a symmetrical cable and in-line volume - i am not keen on either but if the sound quality is considerably better i would buy them.

so should i buy another pair of 300s or shell out the £3 and get the 500s?

CX500's are, IMHO, worth the extra over the CX300's (I had 300's & now use 500's which sound better)
In line volume control is useful to quickly drop volume.
If you are going to use them with an iPhone, I think there is a version of them with a Mic & simple remote on cable...

thanks,

i normally use them with a nano so i wouldnt need the extra controls.

what do people think of the symmetrical cable, I've always found asymmetrical to be much better

I know I keep banging on about them, but the SoundMAGIC PL30 and PL11 are great alternatives to the Sennheiser CX300 and CX500. I've been so impressed by the SoundMAGIC earphones since we got them in that I've written dedicated reviews for each of them on our HiFi Headphones blog.

JimiAces: I'm very surprised you found the Goldring GX200's uncomfortable as they come with Comply Foam ear tips. I agree the standard ear tips are not great, but the Comply tips are about as comfortable as it gets in my experience.

thanks hifi - i will check those out.

i do like the comply tips that come with the goldrings but they were unpractical for my use. i normally listen to my ipod at work so while sometimes i get undisturbed for hours at a time, other days i have to keep removing them to answer phone calls or speak to others:thumbsdow

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom