Scifi hd/Dollhouse

BName

Ex Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen much on scifi hd before cause most i have seen has looked poo but Dollhouse looked good last night.

Recorded this, but haven't watched it yet.

How does their HD channel compare to the SD one, which I refuse to watch, due to the size of the DOGs, animimated "coming next", programme squashed into about an 1/8 of the screen to show trailers etc...?

How does their HD channel compare to the SD one, which I refuse to watch, due to the size of the DOGs, animimated "coming next", programme squashed into about an 1/8 of the screen to show trailers etc...?

I think it looked good i can't remember seeing any coming ups etc. I put the sd one on to compare and it was way better to watch in hd.

When scifi has a HD master the PQ is pretty good, a lot of their stuff is obviously made to budget with the exception of the major US network shows so tends to be more "basic" and that sometimes means a simple clean image.

Picture quality for programmes such as 'Knight Rider' and 'Dollhouse' on Sci-Fi HD is superb.

Yes very good except I had my first lip sync problem since I upgraded the box firmware when I got it a couple of months ago.

You're in for a treat, there was NO DOG on this programme.

I like to think that they are following the BBCs lead in removing the DOG from the most attractive HD material ... but I think we all know deep down in our hearts that it was a mistake in transmission and that "normal service will be resumed" for episode 2 :(

Regards

Yes very good except I had my first lip sync problem since I upgraded the box firmware when I got it a couple of months ago.

noticed the same with dollhouse, however i can adjust the lipsinc with my amp and after a bit of adjusting i got the lipsinc spot on.

You're in for a treat, there was NO DOG on this programme.

I like to think that they are following the BBCs lead in removing the DOG from the most attractive HD material ... but I think we all know deep down in our hearts that it was a mistake in transmission and that "normal service will be resumed" for episode 2 :(
Regards
i hope not, there was no dog on knight rider either, so i hope it remains dog free.

The series link on Sky linked to an episode tonight?

I thought that was a repeat screening of the first one?

The series link on Sky linked to an episode tonight?

I thought that was a repeat screening of the first one?

It is, the overall efficiency of series link programming seems to be tailing off and not just on SKY's EPG but also on the Freeview system.

Series link is terrible it has came up about 5 times now telling me that Dollhouse is starting and they are all repeats. I just want it to tell me once for each new episode does series link do this for all programs in it ?

I just want it to tell me once for each new episode does series link do this for all programs in it ?

If that is how it is programmed, it's not intelligent in itself it only does what it is told to do by the individual broadcaster.

If that is how it is programmed, it's not intelligent in itself it only does what it is told to do by the individual broadcaster.

Do you think this is deliberate to hype the figures for the first week? If they factor in what Sky boxes are set to record instead of what is actually watched the viewing figures for Dollhouse would be triple the norm.

Sci Fi HD can and do series link properly just to new episodes. Eli Stone did this even though it is widely repeated. Angel goes day to day not to repeats each day.

So the handling of Dollhouse is either a mistake or a way to increase viewing figures.

I found Dollhouse a bit confusing at first but it looks worth sticking with it especilly now we know it has unexpectedly been renewed. The HD PQ was up there with the best on Sky as well. Better than many of their series such as Law and Order (that has dropped) and the newby Lie to Me. Be interesting to see how House looks in HD this weekend.

By the way was that Fred from Angel (Amy Acker) in a small role as a doctor in Dollhouse? Looked like her.

She had a meatier role in Law and Order on Sky last week.

Do you think this is deliberate to hype the figures for the first week? If they factor in what Sky boxes are set to record instead of what is actually watched the viewing figures for Dollhouse would be triple the norm.

Sci Fi HD can and do series link properly just to new episodes. Eli Stone did this even though it is widely repeated. Angel goes day to day not to repeats each day.

So the handling of Dollhouse is either a mistake or a way to increase viewing figures.

I found Dollhouse a bit confusing at first but it looks worth sticking with it especilly now we know it has unexpectedly been renewed. The HD PQ was up there with the best on Sky as well. Better than many of their series such as Law and Order (that has dropped) and the newby Lie to Me. Be interesting to see how House looks in HD this weekend.

By the way was that Fred from Angel (Amy Acker) in a small role as a doctor in Dollhouse? Looked like her.

She had a meatier role in Law and Order on Sky last week.

Yes it was - it's a Joss Whedon production so I expect to see lots of old faces.

So this kind of repeated series link is done on purpose ? usually it tells you only for each new episode ?

Now that is an interesting notion especially as in the US the PVR figures are now accepted as major factor in a shows appeal and I'm pretty sure SKY themselves take that viewer demographic into consideration.

Well my thoughts were quite clear in the US thread (spoilers so stay away unless you are brave:) ) and the pilot was perhaps the worse episode of the season and I was quite honest in my opinion:)
That said I was a lot more complimentary over many of the episodes of the rest of the season, yes there are still flaws and in many ways it's taking longer to establish itself but that may also be the fault of a lead character with no character so to speak:)

Given the same encoders and similar transponder load PQ comes down to the production master, some shows are very clean and tend to pop and other not so much and Lie To Me is one of the latter.

I would like to know why they are censoring words like 'bitch' in a programme that airs at 9pm. It really bugs me for some reason!

I would like to know why they are censoring words like 'bitch' in a programme that airs at 9pm. It really bugs me for some reason!

Ya kidding:eek:
Delighted now I've watched by other means, we have a watershed for a reason and that is to not treat adults like children and well seriously hands up who thinks that is a waste of time in this day and age of media access freedom.

I missed it last night cause the series link didn't remind me lol it told me for all the damn repeats though.

Ya kidding:eek:
Delighted now I've watched by other means, we have a watershed for a reason and that is to not treat adults like children and well seriously hands up who thinks that is a waste of time in this day and age of media access freedom.

Yup, i would have been better off downloading it months ago from the US. I guess that teaches me for being old fashioned and actually waiting for it to air in the UK. :(

These broadcasters don't do themselves any favours do they? Treat viewers like that, then they wonder why people download and they lose ratings.

Love them or hate them, at least Sky know how to look after their viewers as regards US imports.

Yea, that was really strange, wasn't it.

I mean, she screamed "SON OF A" and then her mouth moved but all we heard was silence !!! If you actually wanted to meaningfully censor it, then cut out that shot completely. They do this a lot during the fight scenes in Smallville when it airs during the day. Sometimes so much that you can't tell what just happened ... suddenly there are bodies on the ground :eek:

I find it even more bizarre because :

a) this is a really lame "swear word" (in the UK it hardly counts at all)
b) it was after 9pm (and not just 9:01 either)
c) that episode containe A LOT of really nasty violent stuf (some at 9:01 !)

RE: Violence. Without going into spoilers, to see a person shoot someone in the leg, in cold blood, whilst talking to them ... and more than once ... made me feel quite queasy (and, as a rule, I am not prudish about anything). That could easily have been filmed differently. I would have had every sympathy with the censors if they had asked for that sequence to be re-edited (or cut out). We just don't need to see that ... it's not entertaining.

Regards

Picture quality for programmes such as 'Knight Rider' and 'Dollhouse' on Sci-Fi HD is superb.

I second this.....stumbled across Knight Rider this afternoon and I would go as far as saying it is the best quality I have seen on Sky HD so far:thumbsup: (no movie channels).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom