DVI to HDMI adapter or DVI to HDMI cable?

I've also read that the ATi drivers can behave differently depending on the northbridge you have on the MoBo. Most of the reports are related to HW acceleration but I wonder if it could also explain the audio issues?

Would make sense. It's a pity we can't get Dave and someone with a Gecube AGP to swap cards for a night :)

Just a thought.

Wo0zy

You could be on to something there. My MoBo is quite old and so are the drivers for it.
Maybe the new ATI drivers that are supposed to fix the HW acceleration will also address the audio.

My AGP card is just sitting around on my old MoBo at the moment so its possible although i would rather not have to pay to post it to anyone.
Any Gecube owners in Central London?

No. I tried this as well. you will get DPL/II but not DD5.1
You would need the HDMI signal to go through an amp first.

Thanks for that. I thought I would try it anyway and sure enough my amp says "pro logic". So good to know I am not doing anything wrong.

I have tried connecting the optical cable direct from the sound card to the amp and that is saying "pro logic" as well which I am sure is not right, so will try and resolve that. Latest audtio drivers downloading right now.

Thanks for that. I thought I would try it anyway and sure enough my amp says "pro logic". So good to know I am not doing anything wrong.

I have tried connecting the optical cable direct from the sound card to the amp and that is saying "pro logic" as well which I am sure is not right, so will try and resolve that. Latest audtio drivers downloading right now.

Actually, I just connected another HD source via. HDMI to the tv, with the optical cable connected between the tv and the amp and I got 5.1 !! So I think something is missing here - could be a long night:D

Actually, I just connected another HD source via. HDMI to the tv, with the optical cable connected between the tv and the amp and I got 5.1 !! So I think something is missing here - could be a long night:D

By 5.1 do you mean DD5.1 or some form of enhanced DPL?
Ive not heard of the TV's outputing DD before. Just tried it with my DVd player and still only get DPL.

I just realised that the card I ordered DOESN'T include the adapter so I may need your help in the next couple of days as at the moment I only have a DataWrite HDMI-DVI Cable to experiment with :)

To be honest i dont believe the people who have got it working with just an ordinary DVI-HDMI. As you have proven to yourself, it doesn't work. But, also like you maybe they have a re wired cable and dont know it.
If you or anyone can make up some more you could make some money by selling them. I would have one for a start. I hate using adaptors.

I have two HD2600Xt's. one a AGP DVI/TV/VGA that wont let me install the Audio driver and didnt come with the adaptor and one Asus HD2600XT PCI-E that works fine but didnt come with the adaptor either. I got mine through Amazon for about ÂŁ4. In all the reviews i have read about the HD2xxx cards it states that ATI have used a different pin configuration and thats why you use the adaptor so i cant see how a standard HDMI cable will work.
It states on the ATI website the using the adaptor wont enable audio for cards that didnt come with the adaptor but thats not correct as mine works ok.
I agree with you, having standards is no good if nobody sticks to them. I cant understand why ATI advertise Audio over HDMI but dont include the means to get it by including the adaptor with all the cards. If it wasnt for places like this some might not even realise their card can do it.

I have been having a go with this, I suspect Ati of producing an adapter that uses 2 pins on the DVI end shorted to tell the graphics card to turn audio "on". Just so they can force you to pay a premium for a card with the adapter. Any PCIe graphics card with "HD" before the number has the chip inside, audio packets travel along the same wire as video packets. So the adapter can't be using extra pins for anything else.

I have been having a go with this, I suspect Ati of producing an adapter that uses 2 pins on the DVI end shorted to tell the graphics card to turn audio "on". Just so they can force you to pay a premium for a card with the adapter. Any PCIe graphics card with "HD" before the number has the chip inside, audio packets travel along the same wire as video packets. So the adapter can't be using extra pins for anything else.

If you do figure out whats going on and you fancy knocking a few DVI-HDMI leads up i would buy one off you:smashin:

Good evening gentlemen.

I didn't read the whole thread - which I opened hehe - but the card arrived and there's no adapter :mad:

Does this mean I will get no sound from my TV?

Good evening gentlemen.

I didn't read the whole thread - which I opened hehe - but the card arrived and there's no adapter :mad:

Hardly any of them do have the adaptor.
Your right, you wont get HDMI audio. there are other ways to get audio though.

the card arrived and there's no adapter :mad:

Pretty much, only the HD2600XT seem to have the adapter.

Mine is an HD2600XT by HIS, the blue one, only adapter is VGA to DVI.

Its bloody annoying that ATI give us a feature that we cant use.
If it wasnt for this forum i would never had known about the HDMI audio in the first place.

Seriously guys, sorry if I sound stupid but I will now use a DVI to HDMI adapter. Will I get sound from my TV, will I get sound from the mobo on-board sound, will I get no sound at all?

What will happen when I switch on the PC? :) :) :)

The only adapter that will give sound on the HDMI lead is the ATi dongle that comes with the card or can be purchased from the ati online shop in Canada or the USA. If you don't get one with your card or you don't live in the USA it's tough luck I'm afraid.

I only got the DVI to VGA adapter with my Powercolor HD2600Pro so I'm stuffed too!
(I need one to cut open so I can see what pins are connected, it might have a resistor, I doubt it has a chip)

Seriously guys, sorry if I sound stupid but I will now use a DVI to HDMI adapter. Will I get sound from my TV, will I get sound from the mobo on-board sound, will I get no sound at all?

What will happen when I switch on the PC? :) :) :)

What you do is to set the default windows sound device to HDMI Audio (once you get the dongle), then you will get all the sound out of your TV and not from your MoBo. I have had sound coming out of my SPDIF and PC speakers but thats was because my sound card has multiple outs, i dont think you can do this if using HDMI out as XP has to route the sound through the default device.

I think:)

The only adapter that will give sound on the HDMI lead is the ATi dongle that comes with the card or can be purchased from the ati online shop in Canada or the USA. If you don't get one with your card or you don't live in the USA it's tough luck I'm afraid.

I only got the DVI to VGA adapter with my Powercolor HD2600Pro so I'm stuffed too!
(I need one to cut open so I can see what pins are connected, it might have a resistor, I doubt it has a chip)

you can get them over here but they can be difficult to find.
Ebay is the best bet. I got mine from www.dragon-online.eu but they dont seem to be selling them now.
I have a feeling some people are taking them out of the boxes and selling them separately.

Not if you want sound.
It doesn't have the extra pins, or the internal connection that the ATi dongle has.

Does that carry audio then?

Doubtful as its not an ATI one.
As far as i can see its just a standard HDMI-DVI adaptor and as its been said many times you need a ATI one as its wired differently.

I think I found an ATI adapter for sale in the UK. See my post in this other thread:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6118524&postcount=20

I can't actually test it as I don't own an HD television yet, so if anyone buys one could they report how they fare please?

Also, am I right in thinking that output via the graphics card will only be stereo?

Depends what you end up connecting to. Most TV's will require 2-channel PCM to work i.e. hear any sound. However, if you're connecting to an AV receiver then you can also get AC3 (DD) with the ATi solution.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom