Can I power a DAB radio from a shaver socket?

Reaction score
I have a Sony DAB portable in the bathroom. It can be powered from the mains via a 6v plug in transformer or via AA batteries. The problem is it eats batteries.

I do not have a socket in the bathroom of course, but do have a shaver adapter that takes 2 pin plugs. There are two sockets on it, for 110v and 240v.

I was wondering if there is any way, perhaps via an adapter, that I could plug my radio's transformer into the shaver socket?

The shaver socket contains an isolating transformer which is probably rated at 20VA. Provided the load from your radio is less than this (quite likely, since it will also run on batteries), it will work. I'm not sure I should be recommending this approach, however...

Thanks. Is there any kind of adapter available, or would I have to cobble something together?

(I do appreciate this no doubt contravenes some regulation. Good.)

If it's just a standard plug, you would be better off cutting it off and replacing it with a two pin plug, which you could then use in a 3-pin socket if you needed to with the aid of a standard shaver adaptor (I'm assuming there is no earth connection).

If the transformer is a "wall wart" (where the whole thing plugs into the socket), it's more tricky. My guess is that the only adaptors that would do the trick would be the ones designed for foreign travel, so you would have to plug the whole rickety edifice into your shaver socket. Or, if you were feeling adventurous, you could transfer the PSU into a different enclosure, fed from a two pin plug. Lots of options, none of which I recommend. :D

Having hooked it up temporarily (yes, it is a wall wart btw) I can confirm it does work.

Curiously though, my shaver point has 2 sockets: 110v and 240v. The 2 pin plugs I have only fit in the 240v socket (it seems the 110v variant may have closer pins?) and I can't for the life of me find where I might get a 2 pin plug to fit the 110v socket. Any ideas where I might source one?

(It wouldn't be a problem other than the elec toothbrush is permanently plugged into the 240v socket.)

Are you sure the wall wart will cope with a 110V input? If it can't, you won't need to worry about finding a suitable plug!

In any case, presumably the other appliance is just a charging cradle, which does not need to be permanently connected? I wouldn't want to have two things plugged in at once, and the shaver point design may even disallow it (that's a pure guess, by the way).

I have a Sony DAB portable in the bathroom. It can be powered from the mains via a 6v plug in transformer or via AA batteries. The problem is it eats batteries.

I do not have a socket in the bathroom of course, but do have a shaver adapter that takes 2 pin plugs. There are two sockets on it, for 110v and 240v.

I was wondering if there is any way, perhaps via an adapter, that I could plug my radio's transformer into the shaver socket?

Seriously mate, not wanting to teach anyone to suck eggs but electricity and water do not mix. Only devices with a suitable IP rating should be used in bathrooms. Check here http://www.diydata.com/electrics/bathroom_electrics/bathroom_electrics.php
of what your IP rating should be depending on where you are thinking on placing the radio.

Ian.

Electric shavers do not (in general) have suitable IP ratings...

I have reservations about what he is doing, but powering his radio from an isolation transformer does confer a certain amount of protection, should it plunge into the bath, for example.

Edit: In fact, his radio is only working on 6V, so is pretty much unconditionally safe, and his wall wart can't fall into the bath without first disconnecting itself from the mains.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom