TVONICS DTR-HV250 setup wifi with WIFI dongle

ace0001uk

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'd like to know if there is anyone out there that has been able to setup the TVONICS DTR-HV250 on wifi network using an unofficial usb wifi dongle i.e. not the one supplied by TVONICS? If so is can you provide me with the steps you took to get this working.

Many thanks

Sorry you've had no replies, but you might fare better in the correct section, as this has nothing to do with Freeview. :)

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
This is just the information I was looking for having just bought a HV250 and wanting to use the iplayer service.

Just one question that someone may answer. The recommended dongle is 54Mbps which seems quite low? There are very similar dongles with 150Mbps and I was wondering if that would give me a better picture quality? I'm not an expert on this sort of thing but someone out there may be.

USB Wireless 150Mbps WiFi 802.11n/g/b LAN Adapter Card | eBay

Thanks
Dave

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Thanks for that, it's definitely helpful.

What picture quality do you get on iPlayer?

I notice the one on Amazon (link lower down the page) has a directional antenna which may help with getting a better signal?

I'm still curious as to whether a higher data transmission rate (150Mbps) would be beneficial.

Standard iplayer quality is not great but it improves when you select higher quality option. That gives quite close to a standard freeview picture quality IMHO.

I assume, that as Tvonics only sell a 54Mbps USB dongle this must be able to conform to freeview standards?

Just to say my router is within 1.5m of the dongle and my connection is 10meg Virgin.

Last edited:
I think the adapter rayowl has is identical to the Tvonics dongle.
The dongle I quoted is the same but with an additional external antenna.
A faster dongle probably won't work unless it uses the Ralink RT2070 chipset as I believe the Tvonics is setup to use that chipset.

I thought I'd just give an update.

I bought a USB dongle from the Amazon link lower down the page and it arrived fairly quickly. My first attempt at setting it up with the Tvonic box though was not so successful as it didn't connect with my WIFI. I've had another go this evening and after changing the antenna orientations on both the router and dongle I got a connection. It was then very easy to navigate through to iPlayer and I tried watching a few programmes. The default picture quality was not very good however when I opted for the better quality I was very impressed.

So, I'm very impressed with my TVonics boxe and the icing on the cake is iPlayer.

I have just bought My TVonics on Ebuyer for £84.95 bought the correct dongle from ebay £17.99 but I put it in the front USB and it does not do anything. I want the iplayer Am I supposed to select something with the remote. can any-one guide me with simple steps on what to do?

Hi all just thinking about getting one of these to replace sky plus, my question is can i use the sky cables to link this up ?

thanks for any help offered

Hans

I have just bought My TVonics on Ebuyer for £84.95 bought the correct dongle from ebay £17.99 but I put it in the front USB and it does not do anything. I want the iplayer Am I supposed to select something with the remote. can any-one guide me with simple steps on what to do?

Hi, using the remote select menu then goto network, select wireless enter your wifi password and it should work.

Hi all just thinking about getting one of these to replace sky plus, my question is can i use the sky cables to link this up ?

thanks for any help offered

Hans

Hi, this is a nice freeview recorder for terrestrial signals not satellite signals, so has no connections for sky cables.

So with that in mind how does this work if i only have the one normal (non sat) connection ?

Hi

Can an additional cable be ran to the aerial as at present I only have theone cable coming down ? or would a splitter work ?

Last edited:
Hi

Can an additional cable be ran to the aerial as at present I only have theone cable coming down ? or would a splitter work ?

You will only need one cable as the box operates differently to the sky box.

Sky has two cables from the dish and terrestrial tv has one from the aerial.

Hi

That makes things much clearer thanks for the information, will also mean that I have less cables behind the TV always a good thing. With it only having the one cable though does this still allow for the dual record feature

Hi

That makes things much clearer thanks for the information, will also mean that I have less cables behind the TV always a good thing. With it only having the one cable though does this still allow for the dual record feature

Yes you will have dual record and use the HDMI to connect to your tv if it has that to get the best picture quality.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom