Pace launch HD PVR

Hi

Not noticed these bugs but then haven't tried this aspect. I had noticed you needed to press Pause before you can rewind live TV.

Has anyone else noticed problems fast forwarding/rewinding?

As for a misty picture, I think we've all found the Pace to be equal to or better than other SD Freeview sources. Do you still get the misty look on HD? How are you connecting up? Your box may be faulty, mine had sound issues, where sound via the HDMI fizzled in after 10 minutes of warm-up time!

I'll add your issues to the issue list, if someone can confirm the same problems rewinding/fast-forwarding to rule out a fault on your partical one that would be great.

Regards

Phil

Yes it is also misty on HD and it is connected via HDMI.I was using aTopfield 5810 before and that was fine via HDMI.

Yes it is also misty on HD and it is connected via HDMI.I was using aTopfield 5810 before and that was fine via HDMI.

Can you take two example photos - one of the Philips and one of the Toppy?

Not sure if this is a bug, or something I have done wrong.
But when watching TV through the PACE box, my TV makes some odd electronic whistling noises that go up and down in tone.

It's the same kind of sound that used to happen to old TVs that were on the way out, and a bright white shot would appear and they would whistle.

My TV is a Panasonic G10 42"

well just receieved mine. all set up and looking good. BBC HD looks amazing, ITV less so and far too vibrant with the colours.

as others have already said, can't believe the EPG doesn't have channel numbers, and cuts the audio off. If they fix those and make it so you can select a channel to watch form the guide, I'll be happy.

Early days but looks ok so far :)

I think i may have found another bug i'm not sure, Last night i set a scheduled recording for the untouchables on 4hd, the record light came on and I was watching it at the same time and everything seemed fine, yet when i went to playback the recording this morning the first 45 mins was missing I have no idea why.

Tried again this morning with a SD program on channel 5, ie a scheduled recording as well as watching it and it worked fine nothing missing.

so i tried with a program on 4HD only this time with out watching it at the same time as i had to go out for a bit and that recorded fine as well.

Have yet to do another watch while recording a scheduled program on a HD channel but will do so later on today with the england mexico match, anyone else had a issue like this. ?

Last edited:
Tempted to buy this but all the faults are putting me off.
I went into Curry's today and they had five boxes on the shelf but I'm not sure if I could put up with all the problems.
I have a old AV amp and would need to use the optical out but if I did I would only get sound in stereo !
I need HD for the World Cup but I don't want loads of problems, I had enough problems with my Toppy 5810 :(
Is the firmware update due before the World Cup ?

Dave.

Last edited:
Other thing is when you can't seen to just press the rewind button on live tv,you have to pause it first and then rewind but then trying to stop it doesnt always works as some times pressing the play button makes it play from where you want but other times it won't work and all it does it make the time bar go and pop back up every time you prees it so then you have to press pause then play.Also pressing pause can make it jump bak by about 1 minute for some strange reason.Instant replay just doesn't work at all.And finally the image looks misty which no matter how much i change the setting on my tv it will not go.

to rewind live TV you need to do the instant repaly function by pressing the left arrow key this stops the live TV stream and brings up the time buffer display it will rewind back 15 seconds as default if you want this changed go in the settings and change the instant replay duration time, you can then use the rewind, fast forward, pause, play etc within the time buffer to where in the time buffer you want to watch from, pressing the ok button goes back to live TV.

you need more than 30 seconds of the channel in the time buffer for you to be able to rewind other wise it will just start from the begining of the time buffer rather than the 15 seconds or any other point.

Tempted to buy this but all the faults are putting me off.
I went into Curry's today and they had five boxes on the shelf but I'm not sure if I could put up with all the problems.
I have a old AV amp and would need to use the optical out but if I did I would only get sound in stereo !
I need HD for the World Cup but I don't want loads of problems, I had enough problems with my Toppy 5810 :(
Is the firmware update due before the World Cup ?

Dave.

I'm not sure if the world cup is even being broadcasted in 5.1 audio, and even if it is currently the Pace/ Philips down mixes it to dolby digital be it only two channels, if your amp has pro logic II then run it in that you still get a surround sound effect it's what i do.

as for the firmware the tech supports guy from Philips that i have had contact with say they are aiming for the updates to be released at the end of this month although they wouldn't say what the updates fix, so if 5.1 audio is one of them then yes it would be before the world cup if Pace / phillips keep to the end of the month release.

I'm not sure if the world cup is even being broadcasted in 5.1 audio
I think the BBC normally does 5.1 of football, not sure about ITV. However everything could be different for the World Cup as it might depend on what type of feeds are supplied from the host country.

I am happy with the 'core' performance of the Philips.
The thing that is really bugging me is that,even with the unit's volume control set to maximum,the volume level via the HDMI output is very low.
I cannot get a response from Philips as to whether this is as designed,or my unit is faulty.
All my other sources do not produce a low volume level via their HDMI outputs.

The thing that is really bugging me is that,even with the unit's volume control set to maximum,the volume level via the HDMI output is very low.
I cannot get a response from Philips as to whether this is as designed,or my unit is faulty.

Are you referring to low volume on all channels including SD Freeview channels? The BBC HD is low but the others seem fine over HDMI to my TV.

I'm connected via coaxial to my amp and the volume varies, all the SD channels that just output PCM stereo are quite low I have to turn the volume on the amp up a bit.

on HD channels where it's broadcasting in Dolby digital, BBC HD is low and on par with the level of the SD channels, ITV HD however is loud to point some times where i have to turn the amp vol down, and Channel 4 HD is not as loud as ITV but not as low as BBC depending on the program i either turn the vol up or down.

so it's not just over HDMI.

I have it connected to my amp via coaxial for sound and the volume is low having to turn up the amp's gain by about 10.

When watching via HDMI with the TV speakers it's very low indeed - normal volume level is around 35/40 but need to go up to almost 70 -this applies for all channels.

I have it connected to my amp via coaxial for sound and the volume is low having to turn up the amp's gain by about 10.

When watching via HDMI with the TV speakers it's very low indeed - normal volume level is around 35/40 but need to go up to almost 70 -this applies for all channels.

And you've changed the output sound level on the Philips box to 100% from the default? If not this is in one of the settings menu.

Hi

Low volume is a general complaint with HDMI and via optical/digital, it is usually because you have more dynamic range. Things can be much louder, and things can be much quieter, i.e. there is a much bigger range between quiet and loud. It isn't a fault. Maybe the Philips/Pace requires a DRC mode, this artificially lowers loud bits and makes louder quieter bits, DVD players/AV Amps usually have this option.

Also have you turned up the volume level to maximum from the Philips/Pace?

Regards

Phil

My pace is being replaced as mine as been freezing up on recodings.I will give the next box a go but if that is no better with some of these problems i think i will just get my money back and will get sky+ HD as i know a mate who works for sky and i can get the box and fiiting free and all channels and the HD pack for half price for 12 months.Also the bloke i spoke to today from where i got the pace from said that Philips had told them that the reason there are so many problems is due to the fact that the box should not have been released yet?make of that what you will

My pace is being replaced as mine as been freezing up on recodings.I will give the next box a go but if that is no better with some of these problems i think i will just get my money back and will get sky+ HD as i know a mate who works for sky and i can get the box and fiiting free and all channels and the HD pack for half price for 12 months.Also the bloke i spoke to today from where i got the pace from said that Philips had told them that the reason there are so many problems is due to the fact that the box should not have been released yet?make of that what you will

hmm i wouldn't have thought Philips would have said it shouldn't have been released at all as their aim was to be one of the first freeview HD DTRs on the market in time for the world cup which they have done.

what philips have said to someone on digital spy is that it shouldn't have shipped with the firmware that it has installed a present, whether that is true i dont know, maybe that is was philips were reffering to.

Ok, so today I did what I promissed myself I wouldn't..... I picked up the Pace unit from JL (after years of being an early adopter/beta tester, I swore I'd stop doing it.... but heh).

Been running a few initial tests and apart from the much reported "unable to change channel from EPG", I've noticed a couple of other things.

1. I haven't connected it up to the flat screen yet, but have tested via scart on a standard widescreen CRT (Sony).
I'm unable to change the volume or use "mute" at all.... on any channels.
Is anybody else in a position were they could verify this via a scart connection?
2. BBC HD echos.... like others have noted (over scart and optical to my AV amp.
3. After setting a "favourite list".... erm, how do you activate it (I'm still getting the full list in the EPG)
4. USB ports seem to do nothing at all at present ~ shame.
5. Ethernet, again, seems redundant at this point, even after setting static IP etc.

Regards

Ok, so today I did what I promissed myself I wouldn't..... I picked up the Pace unit from JL (after years of being an early adopter/beta tester, I swore I'd stop doing it.... but heh).

Been running a few initial tests and apart from the much reported "unable to change channel from EPG", I've noticed a couple of other things.

1. I haven't connected it up to the flat screen yet, but have tested via scart on a standard widescreen CRT (Sony).
Is anybody else in a position were they could verify this via a scart connection?
2. BBC HD echos.... like others have noted (over scart and optical to my AV amp.
3. After setting a "favourite list".... erm, how do you activate it (I'm still getting the full list in the EPG)
5. Ethernet, again, seems redundant at this point, even after setting static IP etc.

Regards

1. I dont have a scart cable to test with all my TV's are HD and everything i have connected to them is via either HDMI / DVI or Component, and coaxial / optical to my AV Amp i can say though that connecting via HDMI to the TV and using the TV for output rather than my amp the Phillips volume and mute controls do nothing so it could be the case that they do nothing at all no matter how your connected, one for the bug list that PhilipL has done if it's not already on it.

2. BBC HD echo is down to the channel not the Phillips as other PVRs have the same problems, BBC seem to tweek stuff quite regularly on the HD channel which messes stuff up like the sound, i Haven't been on BBC HD yet today but it could be thet they tweaked something again to cause the sound to f up.. it only happens during 5.1 broadcasts so far.

3. press ok to bring up the current channel list then Press the left arrow button to bring up the channel lists menu, the top one is all TV ie all the channels any favourite lists you have created are listed below use the down arrow to highlight the list you want to use and press the OK button that then becomes the the default list to use.

4. USB is for firmware updates only at present.

5. ethernet port is for when they plan to add BBC iplayer etc at a later date they said they want to get the PVR side of things working properly first before moving on to other stuff like internet streaming etc.

Last edited:
Hi

Welcome to the club.

Regards

As already mentioned the echo on BBC HD appears to be caused by the transmission that the BBC keeps tweaking.

Regarding the SCART volume/mute issue. This is the volume control on the Pace remote I assume? When you use the volume up/down do you see the volume graphic on the TV screen, does the graphic show the adjustment? I take it the actual volume then doesn't change at all?

Most of us will have used so far the HDMI connection, so you may be the first to try via SCART. You do realise you will not get the benefit of HD via SCART as it will be downsampled to standard definition (it may still look better to lower compression but will not be in high definition).

Let us know how you get on, you can't be blamed for wanting to give up on the Pace if it is locking up along with the very basic PVR functions this has shipped with.

My volume button on the remote no longer works either.
Did for the first few days...:confused:

Sort of the same really, do you see the graphic for the volume changing and it just doesn't change the actual volume?

Regards

Phil

BBC HD echo is down to the channel not the Phillips as other PVRs have the same problems, BBC seem to tweek stuff quite regularly on the HD channel which messes stuff up like the sound

Dragon's Den on right now is echoing.
This better not happen during the world cup or I will kill people.

Hi

Welcome to the club.

As already mentioned the echo on BBC HD appears to be caused by the transmission that the BBC keeps tweaking.

Regarding the SCART volume/mute issue. This is the volume control on the Pace remote I assume? When you use the volume up/down do you see the volume graphic on the TV screen, does the graphic show the adjustment? I take it the actual volume then doesn't change at all?

Most of us will have used so far the HDMI connection, so you may be the first to try via SCART. You do realise you will not get the benefit of HD via SCART as it will be downsampled to standard definition (it may still look better to lower compression but will not be in high definition).

Let us know how you get on, you can't be blamed for wanting to give up on the Pace if it is locking up along with the very basic PVR functions this has shipped with.

Sort of the same really, do you see the graphic for the volume changing and it just doesn't change the actual volume?

Regards

Phil

Yup.... I'm pretty familar with HD technologies ;)

There is no volume graphic dislpayed when changing volume or mute buttons (from the Pace).... and never has been since connecting. However, I can see that the box is receiving commands from the remote as the LED flashes!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom