Media & File Server Bundle for the Foxsat HDR - Release 4,0 - PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

raydon

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Continuation of http://www.avforums.com/forums/free...r-bundle-foxsat-hdr-release-4-0-part-1-a.html
First post from original thread repeated here for your convenience.

O.K guys, here's what you Foxsat HDR owners have been waiting for.
To further enhance your Freesat experience, I am very pleased to announce the release of v4.0 of the Media & File Server Bundle.
v3.0c dowloads are now standing at 3,941 so I'm hoping this release will prove as popular, if not even more so.

Firstly, I would like to thank af123 (or af12345 as he is known here on AV Forums) for kindly allowing me to use his original ideas and sources from the HDR Fox T2 web interface development, as the basis for the web interface and support applications you find released here in v4.0.
And also for agreeing to host the web based repository for the application packages. Without his help none of this would have been possible.
Thank You !

New features in v4.0.x

A fully functioning web interface for the Foxsat HDR.

A package management system with web based repository for the downloading and updating of applications.
This can be accessed both from the web interface and from the command line.

A service management system to display status of custom applications, start or stop them, and disable/enable boot-time autostart.
Again, this is accessible from the web interface and the command line.

Latest release v4.0.8 is available for download from HERE

v4.0.7 is based on Humax's latest v1.00.20 firmware and is a complete standalone replacement for it.
What this means is that a reflash with the standard Humax v1.00.20 firmware before flashing with v4.0.7 is not necessary.
It will upgrade any earlier version of installed firmware, either standard or modified, to v1.00.20 with custom mods.

IMPORTANT All users upgrading from v4.0.6 firmware should use the web interface to update your package list from the internet then install the upgrades you find listed. These upgrades are required due to changes inplemented by Humax in v1.00.20 firmware release.

Full instructions on how to install everything are provided in the included ReadMe.txt and I suggest you read this carefully before you start, as there are many changes compared to the earlier v3.0 releases.

For those who are already comfortable with installing and using the earlier packages here follows a quick start guide.

Flash the firmware in the usual way, then open your favourite browser and enter the IP address of the HDR into the browsers address bar. Remember to use the IP address, not the hostname, as the netbios nameserver service is not available until you have installed samba.

You will then be presented with this basic web interface.

basicv.jpg

From here you can browse your media files, and more importantly, download and install the full web interface. Click on the Download & Install button and after a short delay (depending on your internet connection speed) you will be presented with an installation status report.

statusuk.jpg

After that it is simply a matter of rebooting the HDR to initialise the full web interface. (Remember to refresh your browser, with the IP address only, in the address bar). You will then be presented with the full web interface index page.

fully.jpg

Clicking on Package Management will then display this page

packagesr.jpg

From here you can install the applications you wish to use on your HDR.
Click on the pages top bar to return you to the index page.
From there you can then select the Service Management option.

servicesk.jpg

From here you can stop and start your applications, and select which ones are auto-started at boot time.

Any additional information you might need can be found in the ReadMe.txt so please do me a favour and read it before posting any queries you might have. You may just find the answer there.

That's it then, I hope you all enjoy using this v4.0.x release

my regards to all here at AV Forums

raydon

P.S. Please don't quote this post in any of your responses.
One set of pictures in the thread is enough thanks !

Last edited:
I did it myself using Gparted.
These were the sizes of each partition:
1st Partition: 12.5GB = (12800MiB)
2nd Partition: 638MB = (478MiB)
3rd Partition: 1694GB = (1734656MiB)
4th Partition: 157GB = (160768MiB)

I did it myself using Gparted.
These were the sizes of each partition:
1st Partition: 12.5GB = (12800MiB)
2nd Partition: 638MB = (478MiB)
3rd Partition: 1694GB = (1734656MiB)
4th Partition: 157GB = (160768MiB)
O.K. Check and see if you can copy MP3's or photos from USB to the HDR as it's the Music/Photo partition where the custom applications are stored. Also check your internet connection from the HDR is working by accessing BBC iPlayer.

I upgraded from 4.0.4 to 4.0.6 last night & then updated the package list. It showed that 2 updates were available (I think one was the webserver but I can’t remember what the other was). They both appeared to update ok (no errors shown in the dialogue box) but when things had finished refreshing, the ‘Installed’ list is now empty as is the ‘Available’ list.

If I click on the ‘Update package list’ button, the progress box appears but nothing seems to happen even if I leave it for 10 mins.

I have tried recycling the power on the Humax, & have accessed the web gui from 2 different machines using several flavours of browser.

Any ideas as to what is going on & how to fix it?

O.K. Check and see if you can copy MP3's or photos from USB to the HDR as it's the Music/Photo partition where the custom applications are stored. Also check your internet connection from the HDR is working by accessing BBC iPlayer.

Thanks for helping me out with this, I really appreciate it.

iPlayer is working fine and I have copied an MP3 to the music partition with no problems.

Any idea where to go from here?

Thanks for helping me out with this, I really appreciate it.

iPlayer is working fine and I have copied an MP3 to the music partition with no problems.

Any idea where to go from here?
See if you can install telnet from USB.

Telnet installed OK. The opk file now has done at the end (as per the readme instructions).
I have never used telnet before so I'm not sure what you want me to do with it.

Telnet installed OK. The opk file now has done at the end (as per the readme instructions).
I have never used telnet before so I'm not sure what you want me to do with it.
It gives you command line access to the HDR's operating system. If you are using Windows XP then the telnet client is already enabled.
If you're using Windows 7 you need to enable it by following these steps.

1. Start
  2. Control Panel
  3. Programs And Features
  4. Turn Windows features on or off
  5. Check Telnet Client
  6. Hit OK
After that open up a command window
1. Start
2. Run
3. Enter cmd in the run box then hit Return

In the command window enter telnet 192.168.0.5 (substituting your own HDR's IP address for the one quoted)
You should then be presented with a command prompt from the HDR like this:
Foxsat-HDR~#
Type in opkg install webif
That should download and install the full web interface.
Finally, type quit to exit from telnet.

Working perfectly again!!

Thanks very much for your time. This functionality that you have given to the us is absolutely brilliant.

OK, im hoping someone can help me with setting up the samba server on the humax, apologies but ive never set one up before so I dont really know what im doing!

Essentially what I want to do is add my USB HDD to the Humax and use it to share my movies with an appleTV playing xbmc. Also is there a way I can easily set up the Humax so I can move films from my computer to the HDD without unplugging the HDD and moving it to my PC? (would make it easier when ripping DVD's!)

Thanks in advance

OK, im hoping someone can help me with setting up the samba server on the humax, apologies but ive never set one up before so I dont really know what im doing!

Essentially what I want to do is add my USB HDD to the Humax and use it to share my movies with an appleTV playing xbmc. Also is there a way I can easily set up the Humax so I can move films from my computer to the HDD without unplugging the HDD and moving it to my PC? (would make it easier when ripping DVD's!)
Stelph, you're in the right place with this thread, and the cusotm firmware will enable to achieve both things you mention above.

Best thing is to start with installing the custom firmware using the instructions from raydon at the top of this thread. The readme in the custom firmware download is detailed and includes how to set up the samba server. Then as and when you get stuck just post back with the details and we can take it from there.

Stelph, you're in the right place with this thread, and the cusotm firmware will enable to achieve both things you mention above.

Best thing is to start with installing the custom firmware using the instructions from raydon at the top of this thread. The readme in the custom firmware download is detailed and includes how to set up the samba server. Then as and when you get stuck just post back with the details and we can take it from there.

Ah great thanks, I hadnt thought of checking the read me! Had a browse and I have to admit, understanding and setting up samba seems well beyond my ability if I am honest!

A slightly easier option looks like Twonky as being a DLNA server I assume it can still work with the ATV? will that also be able to share the USB drive?

Ah great thanks, I hadnt thought of checking the read me! Had a browse and I have to admit, understanding and setting up samba seems well beyond my ability if I am honest!

A slightly easier option looks like Twonky as being a DLNA server I assume it can still work with the ATV? will that also be able to share the USB drive?
Yes I believe Twonky server on the Foxsat HDR works well with XBMC on a jailbroken ATV, but I haven't done this myself so let me leave others to confirm who have done so ;).

Hope someone can help me with twonky. I've installed everything on my hummy OK. Tiny works with FileZilla but can't get twonky to stream to my laptop using windows media player. Media player can see the files but won't play them. OS is windows 7.

Media player can see the files but won't play them. OS is windows 7.

Are you sure Media Player can play .ts files [I'm not a windows user] You could try with VLC which can play .TS for sure.

Hi there. Yes Windows media player now does play the Humax files directly. If I transfer the same file I have been trying to stream using Tiny it plays perfectly.

Hi there. Yes Windows media player now does play the Humax files directly. If I transfer the same file I have been trying to stream using Tiny it plays perfectly.

It does play with the samba share, but not with streaming vai twonky with Windows WMP, on my PC at least.

Just a small niggle for what is otherwise a brilliant project.
If I try to use AV2HDR on my netbook I can't see the "GO" button because of the smaller screen size.
I have to use my laptop or desktop.

Just a small niggle for what is otherwise a brilliant project.
If I try to use AV2HDR on my netbook I can't see the "GO" button because of the smaller screen size.
I have to use my laptop or desktop.
This is not the AV2HDR thread, and yes it is a very small niggle.

Well I've read the README, I've not yet done the
install. One thing 'd like to know before I try
is how to get back to the state I'm in before I start.

(reset to factory image etc)

Easy - download the Humax firmware and using ftp or telnet delete the /opt folder. Then flash the humax firmware at the first boot.

I've just upgraded to the new Webif, EPG & Channel Edior packages, and now get this error in the 7 Day EPG

Code:
Runtime Error: /opt/var/mongoose/lib/epg.class:594: no 
such table: epg in procedure 'epg' called at file "epg7day.jim", line 
45 at file "/opt/var/mongoose/lib/epg.class", line 594

and just get a blank page in the Now & Next EPG. Loving the new Channel Editor though, so much more user friendly not having to mess around with copying the channel file to computer then editing and re-uploading.

Roland

I've just upgraded to the new Webif, EPG & Channel Edior packages, and now get this error in the 7 Day EPG

Code:
Runtime Error: /opt/var/mongoose/lib/epg.class:594: no 
such table: epg in procedure 'epg' called at file "epg7day.jim", line 
45 at file "/opt/var/mongoose/lib/epg.class", line 594

and just get a blank page in the Now & Next EPG. Loving the new Channel Editor though, so much more user friendly not having to mess around with copying the channel file to computer then editing and re-uploading.

Roland

Please see http://www.avforums.com/forums/freesat/1601205-web-interface-channel-editor-plug-foxsat-hdr.html

works like a dream(box) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom