Media & File Server Bundle for the Foxsat HDR - Release 4,0 - PART 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

raydon

Prominent Member
Reaction score
O.K guys, here's what you Foxsat HDR owners have been waiting for.
To further enhance your Freesat experience, I am very pleased to announce the release of v4.0 of the Media & File Server Bundle.
v3.0c dowloads are now standing at 3,941 so I'm hoping this release will prove as popular, if not even more so.

Firstly, I would like to thank af123 (or af12345 as he is known here on AV Forums) for kindly allowing me to use his original ideas and sources from the HDR Fox T2 web interface development, as the basis for the web interface and support applications you find released here in v4.0.
And also for agreeing to host the web based repository for the application packages. Without his help none of this would have been possible.
Thank You !

New features in v4.0.x

A fully functioning web interface for the Foxsat HDR.

A package management system with web based repository for the downloading and updating of applications.
This can be accessed both from the web interface and from the command line.

A service management system to display status of custom applications, start or stop them, and disable/enable boot-time autostart.
Again, this is accessible from the web interface and the command line.

Latest release v4.0.6 is available for download from HERE

v4.0.x is based on Humax's latest v1.00.17 firmware and is a complete standalone replacement for it.
What this means is that a reflash with the standard Humax v1.00.17 firmware before flashing with v4.0.x is not necessary.
It will upgrade any earlier version of installed firmware, either standard or modified, to v1.00.17 with custom mods.

Full instructions on how to install everything are provided in the included ReadMe.txt and I suggest you read this carefully before you start, as there are many changes compared to the earlier v3.0 releases.

For those who are already comfortable with installing and using the earlier packages here follows a quick start guide.

Flash the firmware in the usual way, then open your favourite browser and enter the IP address of the HDR into the browsers address bar. Remember to use the IP address, not the hostname, as the netbios nameserver service is not available until you have installed samba.

You will then be presented with this basic web interface.

basicv.jpg

From here you can browse your media files, and more importantly, download and install the full web interface. Click on the Download & Install button and after a short delay (depending on your internet connection speed) you will be presented with an installation status report.

statusuk.jpg

After that it is simply a matter of rebooting the HDR to initialise the full web interface. (Remember to refresh your browser, with the IP address only, in the address bar). You will then be presented with the full web interface index page.

fully.jpg

Clicking on Package Management will then display this page

packagesr.jpg

From here you can install the applications you wish to use on your HDR.
Click on the pages top bar to return you to the index page.
From there you can then select the Service Management option.

servicesk.jpg

From here you can stop and start your applications, and select which ones are auto-started at boot time.

Any additional information you might need can be found in the ReadMe.txt so please do me a favour and read it before posting any queries you might have. You may just find the answer there.

That's it then, I hope you all enjoy using this v4.0 release

my regards to all here at AV Forums

raydon

P.S. Please don't quote this first post in any of your responses.
One set of pictures in the thread is enough thanks !

Last edited:
Looks fantastic!

I take it there is still no way of streaming video from another Twonky Media Server I have on the network to my HDR box though?

Looking good.

Now get to work on CCCam or OSCAM support! :D

Well done - looking good.
One suggestion - What about asking posting a note on the release 3 thread and asking logical to close it to new posts?

Hi Raydon,

Having trouble accessing the HDR from Windows 7.:mad:

Setup is fine, all working from my browser.
I installed samba, but I cannot get Windows to map the drive.

I can ping the HDR, so it is there, what am I doing wrong please?

Great work Raydon.

Installation of the firmware seems to have gone OK. I've installed Samba via the web interface and it appears in Service Management as ON and 'FOXSAT-HDR' appears in my network but when I click to open it I receive this message 'Windows cannot access \\FOXSAT-HDR'. Running a diagnostic give rise to a further message
'FOXSAT-HDR is not set up to establish a connection on port "File and Printer Sharing (SMB)"'
I've tried mapping a drive to the foxsat but receive the same messages as above.

All other access to the Foxsat is perfect.
I've installed Twonky and it shows up as '[Foxsat-HDR] TwonkyMedia : PVConnect: Windows Media Connect' and I can play media using it and XBMC,Filezilla can access the TinyFTP server that I installed via the Web Interface and PuTTY can access the Telnet server, also installed via the Web Interface.

My OS is Windows Vista Home Premium and I haven't any problems with accessing the Foxsat via Samba previously. I've tried searching online but have found nothing that has helped and I have waited a considerable amount of time for Windows to see the HDRs Netbios broadcasts.

Any help would be much appreciated

Great work Raydon.

Installation of the firmware seems to have gone OK. I've installed Samba via the web interface and it appears in Service Management as ON and 'FOXSAT-HDR' appears in my network but when I click to open it I receive this message 'Windows cannot access \\FOXSAT-HDR'. Running a diagnostic give rise to a further message
'FOXSAT-HDR is not set up to establish a connection on port "File and Printer Sharing (SMB)"'
I've tried mapping a drive to the foxsat but receive the same messages as above.

All other access to the Foxsat is perfect.
I've installed Twonky and it shows up as '[Foxsat-HDR] TwonkyMedia : PVConnect: Windows Media Connect' and I can play media using it and XBMC,Filezilla can access the TinyFTP server that I installed via the Web Interface and PuTTY can access the Telnet server, also installed via the Web Interface.

My OS is Windows Vista Home Premium and I haven't any problems with accessing the Foxsat via Samba previously. I've tried searching online but have found nothing that has helped and I have waited a considerable amount of time for Windows to see the HDRs Netbios broadcasts.

Any help would be much appreciated

Update on my problem, did everything twosheds has done.
Have exactly the same results, and the same error message in Windows 7.

Hi Raydon,

Having trouble accessing the HDR from Windows 7.:mad:

Setup is fine, all working from my browser.
I installed samba, but I cannot get Windows to map the drive.

I can ping the HDR, so it is there, what am I doing wrong please?

I would suggest that the problem relates to your workgroup settings. Read the readme and change the smb.conf (from memory) using an appropraite tool.

Only things that have changed in Samba are the default workgroup, this is now WORKGROUP not HOME, and the three separate shares Video, Music, and Photo have been replaced by a single share named Media. Map your drives to \\Foxsat-HDR\Media. This is all explained in the readme, which I did ask everyone to read carefully before posting any queries.

Only things that have changed in Samba are the default workgroup, this is now WORKGROUP not HOME, and the three separate shares Video, Music, and Photo have been replaced by a single share named Media. Map your drives to \\Foxsat-HDR\Media. This is all explained in the readme, which I did ask everyone to read carefully before posting any queries.

Hi Raydon,

I did read the read me before posting.

My network is WORKGROUP, and I did try to map the drive to \\Foxsat-HDR\Media, but it came up with the error 'Windows cannot access \\FOXSAT-HDR'. Running a diagnostic give rise to a further message
'FOXSAT-HDR is not set up to establish a connection on port "File and Printer Sharing (SMB)"'. In addition the HDR does not appear in my network.
I can access it using Filezilla and TinyFTP.

I must add that you have done a great job with this.

Hi Raydon,

Just a thought my workgroup has a name, would that make a difference?

O.K. guys, for the early adopters. I've updated the FOXSAT-HDR_upgrade.hdf in the download rar with the correct freesat logo for the basic web browser. That's the only difference, so re-download via the same link, and reflash if you wish. It's no big deal as you only ever see it when you first install the firmware. (unless, of course, you remove the full web interface, but why would you ?). The full web interface with the corrected logos is available from the repository as an upgrade if you've already installed it.
Sorry about that little boo boo. One if those last minute things I overlooked, in my haste to get this posted.:facepalm:
Never mind, nobody's perfect.:rolleyes:

Hi Raydon,

Just a thought my workgroup has a name, would that make a difference?
And what is that name ? I thought you said it already was WORKGROUP :confused:
Everything works fine for me. Can someone else please confirm samba is working OK for them, as installed from the repository, without any changes to smb.conf.

Well from a MAC running Lion you can't connect via SMB but that was the case with the previous version. I believe that is due to Lion having implemented their own version of the SMB client.

However, I can't see my external USB drive now whether connected to the front or back port. The foxsat-hdr detects that it is connected but it doesn't appear on the on screen menu so I can't select it. When browsing through Telnet I cannot see that it is mounted either.

Everything else went fine though.

Update:
Amended the smb.conf file (changed WORKGROUP to my workgroup name) using the programme you suggested in the read me.
The HDR now shows up in my network page on Windows 7, but I cannot access it (same error message as before).

Last edited:
Raydon,

I've read through the README again but still can't see where I'm going wrong.

My workgroup is and has always been named WORKGROUP. With previous versions I've changed the smb.conf file to reflect this but haven't changed anything this time.

I have already tried various drive mappings including the one you mentioned but all give the same result as before

Update:
Amended the smb.conf file (changed WORKGROUP to my workgroup name) using the programme you suggested in the read me.
The HDR now shows up in my network page on Windows 7, but I cannot access it (same error message as before).
You started & restarted Samba after this?

Yes, and just to be sure I restarted it again!
Paul, can you try reverting to the smb.conf from the v3.0 release. You should be able to extract it from the old tar.gz installer for samba. Just back up the v4.0 smb.conf first. This file is the only thing that has changed in the samba installation so let me know how you get on.
REPASSAC: Have you installed v4.0 yet ? If yes, what results do you get with samba ?

Last edited:
Paul, can you try reverting to the smb.conf from the v3.0 release. You should be able to extract it from the old tar.gz installer for samba. Just back up the v4.0 smb.conf first. This file is the only thing that has changed in the samba installation so let me know how you get on.
REPASSAC: Have you installed v4.0 yet ? If yes, what results do you get with samba ?

Did that, it works straight away!

Strange as the network on v3 is HOME, and yet my network is workgroup (and named La Fargeotte)!!!!

Last edited:
Reverting to version 3c of the smb.conf file works for me as well

Raydon,

I changed the 'hosts allowed entry' from 192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0 to 192.168. and it's working

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom