Sony RDR-HXD870 16:9 screen format problem with Freeview broadcasts

Psylon

Standard Member
Reaction score
System: Sony RDR-HXD870 connected via HDMI to a Sony KDL32V4000U. Problem: When viewing and recording certain freeview channels (e.g. Virgin 1, Sky Three and Film 4) on immediately switching to a 16:9 broadcast, it momentarily shows the full format but then cuts the picture down to 4:3 ;the same broadcast when viewed on the TV tuner is shown OK. There's no problems with other freeview channels e.g. BBC 1, 2, 3 4, ITV 1, 2, Channel 4 and 5, etc.

HXD 870 settings are: screen size set to 16:9; HDMI settings are to 1280x720p and 4:3 video output normal. Hardware v435, software v125; Firmware v1.65, SYSCON: Release_248, TOFLCON:1.202*; Drive: 1.10+; DEVICE: EZR-FEx1.1; Region: 2.

I called Sony UK and they advised to reset to factory settings which I did but this did not resolve the problem nor did connecting the HXD870 via a scart. I then visited a Sony Centre and checked out the problem with a HXD1070, it did the same (to the bemusement of the salesman). I called Sony UK to report my findings and suggest that there is a problem across the HXD range. They said I should contact my nearest service centre to have it repaired under warranty (which runs out at the end of this month).

As this problem has just occurred in the last few weeks, I reckon there must have be a change in the signal broadcast by the affected channels and/or an automatic update change that affects the processing of the signal by the HXD870. The Sony helpdesk did not admit to a change nor did they say they would be releasing a firmware update but I got the distinct impression they were aware there was a problem. On calling the service centre, they appear to be able to receive firmware updates released to them but not directly by customers.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so do you have a fix?

Last edited:
all explained in here http://www.avforums.com/forums/freeview/922431-aspect-ratio-problems-mux-c-d-channels.html in the freeview section and affects all of the sony users as well as some other makes

sony should be aware of the problem seeing as many users in there contacted them , and they say its arqiva at fault

so if arqiva fix the problem with a software update at the transmitters , your fault will resolve itself

I dont think it can be fixed under warranty but if they or pioneer issued a firmware fix we could apply it from a cdrw disk

so its all down to arqiva at this moment in time

ps:- the problem would have occurred from the latter part of january 2009 when the 2 muxes were upgraded

Last edited:
Thanks ramjet, I understand the problem now and I won't be taking it to the service centre. I'm concerned that Sony suggested I do, but I suspect it a was their standard response. Not very reassuring though as they must be aware of the problem by now and should be issuing guidance on their web site.

Do you have any info on whether the LG RHT387H has the same issue?

I don't know if anyone has thought of this but I have found a temporary workaround for the problem if you have one of the effected Sony recorders and a Sony Bravia tv.
If you connect them with a scart lead and then use the "pause live tv" feature or the timer record from the tv's epg(Smartlink), it will record using the tv's tuner which, in my case, is not afflicted. You ahve to set the recorder to use the tv's tuner in the set-up menu.
It does mean that you have to watch what's being recorded but it will record the correct 16:9 picture.

Funnily enough I was thinking along the same lines so over the weekend, I dug out an old Philips DTR1500 freeview box and connected it via a scart to the Line 1/Decoder and guess what, it displays and records Virgin 1, Sky Three and Film 4 in full 16:9. I also tried connecting the KDL32V4000 via a scart to the HXD 870 with the same result but the former solution means I can watch another channel whilst recording.

So my message to Sony is that if an old Philips DTR1500 has no problem decoding Mux C and D channels, it’s about time you pulled your finger out and released a firmware update.

By the way, I came across another glitch that I don’t know if it has been reported elsewhere. The HXD 870 will not run DivX files when it recording; if you load a disc with DivX files and then select Title List or Play, a message says ‘There’s no disc’. Also if you try to do this when the timer is set, it does not switch the recorder off after the programme has been recorded.

By the way, I came across another glitch that I don’t know if it has been reported elsewhere. The HXD 870 will not run DivX files when it recording; if you load a disc with DivX files and then select Title List or Play, a message says ‘There’s no disc’. Also if you try to do this when the timer is set, it does not switch the recorder off after the programme has been recorded.

This may only apply if the DivX file happens to be NTSC.
It may be OK if it is a PAL file... otherwise you are asking the machine to be in two video modes at the same time - which is impossible.

some freeview boxes and recorders ignore this flag and so set the correct ratio as can be seen on the sony when you first flick to the channel before the afd kicks in and loses the plot , it was also ok before the mux upgrades a month ago , as can be seen on my december recordings on virgin 1

my workaround at the moment is to use a sky box but any box not affected by the AFD flag will do the job

its also worth pointing out that this is a pioneer model rebadged as sony , and so you would expect sony to ask pioneer for any updates ( albeit we see sony as responsible )

I can also confirm that if you play a divx file that is pal and conforms to the recorder spec it WILL play even if the unit is busy recording , but if its an ntsc divx file it will NOT play when the unit is recording

the same applies if you try to play an ntsc dvd as opposed to a pal uk dvd

as gavtech says , you cannot expect the unit to be in 2 opposing modes at the same time

so as for the ntsc vs pal debate , its true to say you cannot expect a machine to perform no matter what its mode or state is in , its up to the user to ensure the files comply , or the disks comply , or the mp3 or music or picture files comply

blind faith is not an option

I have even known some divx files not to play on this recorder at all , but if converted using convertx2dvd they will then play as you have converted them to a compatible file mode or to dvd

Gavtech/ramjet many thanks for the feedback – you are right. I’ve checked the DivX files with GSpot and they appear to be NTSC as they running at a frame rate of 23.976. As you can probably tell, I'm a bit new to the technical issues but learning all the time.

As for the HXD 870 in general, I have been very happy with its features and performance – just a pity that the product is let down by the inadequate Sony Support Centre who gave me the distinct impression of fobbing me off to one of their contracted service centres. If a service centre has a firmware fix, why isn’t it being released by Sony? If they haven’t, then I and other customers are being given the run-around.

... just a pity that the product is let down by the inadequate Sony Support Centre who gave me the distinct impression of fobbing me off to one of their contracted service centres. If a service centre has a firmware fix, why isn’t it being released by Sony? If they haven’t, then I and other customers are being given the run-around.

It is a very fair point... but I tend to forgive the support centres to an extent [ albeit they could undoubtedly be better by having improved inter-departmental communication and local management ] ... because I see them as being as much victims of 'the large corporation' as we the consumers are.

They tend to be as kept in the dark as we are and fed the occasional 'benevolent' crumb of information or policy from the Gods above.

Basically what I am saying is that it is corporate interest and behaviour that is the evil... not the poor dogs who have to do their dirty work.

I do not think there is a firmware fix...yet

in the meantime they could argue that the system was fine until the mux changes made in january of this year , and they would be correct in saying that

if ofcom and arqiva fix this problem ( or tandberg or whoever is to blame ) then a firmware fix would not be needed , as there would not be a problem , which there hasnt been for 16 months I have been using my sony 970b bought in september 2007

and it is likely that it would be pioneer that issued any updates to sony , seeing as its a pioneer machine and they have updates for their own models

yes they may have given you the runaround but its also likely that they are unaware of the problem , which is why we have forums like this and the freeview forum where it is being discussed

in my opinion its a problem started by arqiva updating the network last month , and its them who need to fix the problem at the transmitters , not thousands of users updating their machines from a sony or pioneer firmware fix , assuming a firmware fix could solve it that is

lets wait and see if ofcom and arqiva fix it in a few weeks time before pointing any blame at sony or pioneer. its also clear that if the AFD flag was set correctly then we probably would not have this problem

and dont forget that if you had not asked on this forum you would have wasted your time and theirs for what could be no reason at all , and I doubt that a fix exists at the sony service centres for this problem anyway , otherwise they would tell us or it would be on their website for download

As far as i can see from the Sony Service Support website, there has been no further updates to firmware since they released version 1.69 Dated 15/10/08 reference 07HV017R2

SYMPTOM
· No sound. When using picture scan modes and restarting playback, the connected amplifier may incorrectly
identify the soundtrack as LPCM instead of Dolby Digital or DTS.
· For DTT models, DTT Timer Programmings using DTT EPG guide are erased after the set has performed a
DTT update during stand-by.
· No playback of certain discs, such as "Lissi und der wilde Kaiser" and "Bal de France".

Affected Models

Model Destination
RDR-HX650, -HX950 EC1, EC2, EC3
RDR-GX350, HX750 EC1, EC2, CEK, RU3
RDR-HXD870, -HXD970 EC1, EC2, EC3, CEK
RDR-HXD770 CEK
RDR-HXD1070 EC1, EC2, CEK

Firmware can be downloaded at this page

As always ... thanks for the info sila1999

Our 870 is suffering the same problems with the Aspect Ratio. It's a bit of a shame because I was not able to record Lead Balloon in widescreen on Dave since it ended up as 4:3 on the recorder.

As far as i can see from the Sony Service Support website, there has been no further updates to firmware since they released version 1.69 Dated 15/10/08 reference 07HV017R2

SYMPTOM
· No sound. When using picture scan modes and restarting playback, the connected amplifier may incorrectly
identify the soundtrack as LPCM instead of Dolby Digital or DTS.
· For DTT models, DTT Timer Programmings using DTT EPG guide are erased after the set has performed a
DTT update during stand-by.
· No playback of certain discs, such as "Lissi und der wilde Kaiser" and "Bal de France".

Affected Models

Model Destination
RDR-HX650, -HX950 EC1, EC2, EC3
RDR-GX350, HX750 EC1, EC2, CEK, RU3
RDR-HXD870, -HXD970 EC1, EC2, EC3, CEK
RDR-HXD770 CEK
RDR-HXD1070 EC1, EC2, CEK

Firmware can be downloaded at this page

Any idea why the mediafire.com link has a V1.69 version of the firmware, whereas the official Sony site still appears to show 1.65 as the latest version (see DVD Recorder Firmware Update : Sony ). Is 1.69 an 'official' release? Any known significant differences to 1.65?

This version is an officail release on there service website, not all version had been made available to the general public. There is also V1.66 which came out in 13/05/08 ref 08HV006
SYMPTOM
While watching/recording certain DTT broadcasting channels, the picture may freeze.

The 2.08 version is for the Asia model however the Euro ones work fine in mine.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom