Panasonic DMR EZ27 Locked out with 'GUIDE' in display

Gavtech

Administrator
Reaction score
A recent thread has discovered that a number of users of EZ27's are having this problem as defined in the header.

Thread here:http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631220

It appears to be showing the pattern of being an issue with the machine.

These all appear to be recent buyers.

In the tradition of past issues, would all sufferers who have this problem please register in this thread so that the scale of the problem can be understood and so that effective action can be taken.

I presume there are many EZ27 users who are NOT suffering this problem. If so it would be useful to hear from them also.

It may be relevant to report which DVB software version your machine has, if possible.

Thank you all.

Hey Gavtech!

I've turned off the EPG download in standby, and my current DVB version is 1.06. Machine is currently off, and there is no sign of the "guide" message at the moment. Ive taken a note of the time, and will monitor it to see how long it takes to come back on (if it does, let's hope not!) Thanks for your assistance!

Jay-C

Ok, just registering on this thread. As the original thread starter, it's fairly obvious I have the same problem!

I am awaiting the visit of the engineer tomorrow, so I can at least inform him that it's not an isolated case.

I'll let you all know of his response.

Thanks everyone.

hi ,no guide or any other issue six months on with my ez27 machine.i see guide
in the display if i am up and about at three in the morning but dont suffer any
problems from it. the software is 1.06 and is on auto download.
regards trevor.

Hi all,
After my retuning last night it was back into 'frozen guide' mode again this morning.

I have just taken it back to shipping condition and loaded the channels back in. I have left all the settings exactly how they were so my fiddling won't affect anything. I'll see what it's like in the morning (fingers crossed).
I checked the EPG soon after doing this and it seemed to have filled up very fast. It's unusual that the machine freezes with the updating message in the window when it downloads the info so quickly.

I like the idea of disabling the auto download for the time being. I might try that if my reset fails to do any good.

My DVB is version 1.06.

Best of luck Nomy with your engineer tomorrow. I'm keen to hear what he has to say.

Neil.

well so far so good! It's been 8 hours since i turned off the EPG download, and I have had the unit off, watched a dvd, then off again. no sign of "guide" in the display. It might just be as simple as that! I'll monitor it over tonight and tomorrow, see what happens.

Sounds promising Jay-C, but won't this make recording things from the TV harder? I haven't tried recording anything yet as I've been using my new PVR :D . It makes a wonderful change from my old video recorder which I couldn't program recordings for several years :eek:

I suppose we could do a manual download daily as it seems to come through very quickly (compared to my PVR anyway).

Neil.

I don't think it will affect recording things, I'll just record from my Panny TV (it has freeview also).

I've just been fiddling again. Have switched EPG back on, changed the download time to 0200 - 0600 hours. I'm just gonna leave it for a while, see if mine stays on for longer than the 30 - 60 minutes. But as has been mentioned before, its the freezing of the machine when the download occurs that is really bugging folk.

we'll see!

Jay-C

It worked :clap::D !!!

It's been on all night and there is no sign of 'Guide' this morning!

Try loading in the channels after taking it back to 'Shipping Condition' folks.

All auto update settings are on auto so there is no reason for it not to have updated.

Good luck all,

Neil.

Still awaiting the engineer :)

Glad you guys have not had any more problems, but give it a couple of days to make sure. Remember mine was fine for 2 days.

Jay-c, I haven't reset anything yet as I will await the engineers verdict, but I did set the d/l to the same time as you. 48 hours later, after lulling me into a false sense of security, the 'GUIDE' came on at 11pm despite my settings!

I still predict that the engineer will just do a reset and say keep us informed. It may well work, but I am still a little uncomfortable. Especially as mine is no isolated case.

Related to that...can anyone clarify my legal entitlement to a refund: I know I can get the 14 day refund anyway, and if the unit is faulty, I am also entitled to the full 14 day refund. But if the engineer visit is successful, but then the problem returns again beyond the 14 day, am I still entitled to send it back with full refund since the original problem was reported before the 14 day?

Thanks.

Related to that...can anyone clarify my legal entitlement to a refund: I know I can get the 14 day refund anyway, and if the unit is faulty, I am also entitled to the full 14 day refund. But if the engineer visit is successful, but then the problem returns again beyond the 14 day, am I still entitled to send it back with full refund since the original problem was reported before the 14 day?

I really don't think you have a problem here... If this issue were not to be sorted out, you would be entitled to a refund at any time in its first year on the basis of 'not being fit for purpose'.
but I am still a little uncomfortable. Especially as mine is no isolated case.

Oddly enough , I regard that as more comforting, in the sense that you don't have a rogue machine... but I hear what you are saying.

Good luck with the visit.

Well, the engineer visit was a little pointless really. he agreed it appeared faulty and just offered to return it to the workshop to be fixed. In the end i contacted the online centre who have agreed to send out a replacement on Friday. I like this model, so I will give it one more try :)

I will post the results after 'burning in' the replacement.

Thanks for your help Gavtech.

Nomy, Why not try resetting to shipping condition? My machine is still fine after 18+ hours. I know I shouldn't count my chickens before 2+ full days are up but it would save you hastle if it works for you too.

I'll keep you informed straight away if 'GUARD' re-appears in the next few days. If I haven't stated otherwise then my machine remains to be fine :).

Good luck,

Neil.

Hmmm. 'guide' is back this morning :-( . I accidentally switched the mains power off to it before I went to bed last night as I did when I first had the 'guide' problem. I wonder if that might have affected it?

Ill have another go.

Neil.

I don't think it will affect recording things, I'll just record from my Panny TV (it has freeview also).

I've just been fiddling again. Have switched EPG back on, changed the download time to 0200 - 0600 hours. I'm just gonna leave it for a while, see if mine stays on for longer than the 30 - 60 minutes. But as has been mentioned before, its the freezing of the machine when the download occurs that is really bugging folk.

we'll see!

Jay-C

Well when I woke up this morning at 7.00 guess what? "GUIDE"!!!!! Just back from work and it's still there. I think it came on when it was supposed to though - at 2:00 am, cos it was fine when i went to bed at midnight! Still frozen too!! Off at the mains again!! AARGH!

OK. Evidently it is time I reported this issue to Panasonic.

I'll keep you informed, but I don't expect them to respond quickly.

Jay-C... just before I do, can you confirm that you still had the 'EPG download in standy' setting in the 'OFF' position. Thanks.

hey Gavtech. No I'd turned it back on and set it for 2:00 to 6:00 am. I've turned it off again today.

cheers.

Thanks for taking this up Gavtech.

No real news... but I've had a 'due process' response from Panasonic.

The information has been passed to their technical support department and they hope to report back with some information soon.

I'll pass it on as soon as I hear anything.

Well, I have my replacement unit now. I'll set it all up in a while and report back with any success/failures.

Out of interest, is it normal for these recorders to take up to 30 seconds to power up every time you switch them on? 'Why', is the obvious question. Something to do with not being in stanby I guess.

Well, I have my replacement unit now. I'll set it all up in a while and report back with any success/failures.

Out of interest, is it normal for these recorders to take up to 30 seconds to power up every time you switch them on? 'Why', is the obvious question. Something to do with not being in stanby I guess.

Hi nomy

I think that is a normal start up time... but it will be quicker if you have the power save function set to OFF... and having discs in the drive can slow things down too as they have to go through the process of initialisation if present.

Good luck with the replacement.

I wish I had asked you to collect the serial number of your unit before it was returned... It may turn out to be significant.

Good luck with your new machine Nomy.

Mine takes about that long to start up.

Thanks for bringing this problem to Panasonics attention Gavtech.

Neil.

Hey guys. With regard to the slow start up time. This is to be expected when connecting the machine with an HDMI lead. I read that in the manual.

Anybody have this problem...? I've just come in after being out since thursday evening. I had the EPG download turned off and all that. "GUIDE" hasn't come up, but my display is showing the time, but the machine is frozen!

I unpluged it for 3+ hours on Thursday evening as Gavtech recommended and it's fine so far. Only 1+ days though. I've even just worked out how to record onto it :) .

Thanks kgollop for the info. I've never done one of these before. Do you just make sure the machine is on a BBC channel for some time? Is there a best channel and how long will it probably take to download? Will I then need to do anything else?

Thanks,

Neil.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom