asda' onn hdmi dvd player

has anyone tried some 1280x720p divx trailers? wonder what the limit is for the divx encodings/decoding

Thought I'd go for one as

- it's cheap
- looks nice finished in black & orange-yellow display looks neat
- seems to play more or less everything & multiregional
- excellent solution to my current CRT tv with Scart socket
- upscales & HDMI output

Picked one up today & it's going back :thumbsdow Not sure if to exchange :rolleyes:

Perhaps I've been unlucky and picked a lemon. Can't comment on how it performs via component/HDMI but having connected via Scart RGB picture is not what you would expect mainly due to a halo/shadow effect varying in degree when it fancies it cursing the outline of everything. Picture also blurry/soft.

Also no audio coming from left channel with Scart :thumbsdow

Played a couple of DVDs including a film backed-up onto DVD+R and encountered choppy play-back & sticking on the odd few occasions :rolleyes:

Was going to try the USB with an external hard drive but could not be bothered after experiencing the above. So if bogsdollocks if having problems with it not recognising a hard drive might be something up with the USB connection :rolleyes:

Noticed that user interface is the same as that used in some other players, eg. Toshiba & Tevion.

On the plus side it operates pretty quickly with optical discs once loaded & doesn't dawdle for ages trying to figure out what they are.

I guess it might be a case of 'you get what you pay for' & if you are lucky picking one which does not turn out to be problematic.

hi there,
ok i just bought a new dvd player for 30 bucks outta asda its there own brand. it has hdmi connection at the back and i own an hdtv! does this mean my images will be upscaled or not? i cant find any info on this player online whatso eva
cheers

If it has a HDMI connection and you have a HDTV then you are bound to get upscaled pictures of some sort. If you are involving any sort of upscaling process to the picture you are very likely to get an increase in picture quality.

For the outlay of £30 and getting a HDMI output included in the deal you should be expecting spectacular results. HDMI is an all digital connection therefore its very presence is a guarantee of very high performance results.

If you cannot find any info on this product online, it is quite likely that Asda does not want this sort of a bargain to become major public knowledge. I would keep quiet about it knowing that you have probably got the bargain of the century.

;)

Picked on up last night but asda were out of HDMI cables so have only tested it with composite so far, looked decent enough surprisingly. Will have to see if I can pick up a HDMI cable tonight & test out usb playback, if that works, I'll be made up.

was in asda this afternoon , picked one up , put it down , picked one up put it down , i was kinda disbeleiving at the price , soi didnt buy one , maybe i should give one a go now :rotfl:

Seems to playback Xvid stuff from a USB stick well enough so I'm happy with it.

Took me a few minutes to realise that when it says USB on the screen it's not actually just sitting there trying to load but you need to press enter or ok or whatever it is on the remote for it to do something.

was in asda this afternoon , picked one up , put it down , picked one up put it down , i was kinda disbeleiving at the price , soi didnt buy one , maybe i should give one a go now :rotfl:

:rotfl:

That's what I did. Now I just wish I had put it down !!! Would have saved me having to take it back !

I've only been able to connect mine via RGB Scart so I can't really say if the picture via upscaled HDMI or component is better.

Anyway there's obviously a problem with PQ via Scart - I've never seen such a substandard output with any of my other RGB Scart equipment before, or composite Scart for that matter !

Bit of a shame.

:rotfl:

That's what I did. Now I just wish I had put it down !!! Would have saved me having to take it back !

I've only been able to connect mine via RGB Scart so I can't really say if the picture via upscaled HDMI or component is better.

Anyway there's obviously a problem with PQ via Scart - I've never seen such a substandard output with any of my other RGB Scart equipment before, or composite Scart for that matter !

Bit of a shame.

still tempted to take a punt on one for £30 , asda is only down the road for me , so its not like going 50 miles to return it :thumbsup:

I was gonna buy the Evesham at £50 a couple of months back, and never got round to it. When I saw this, I nipped round to Asda and picked one up (actually, it's only £29 :) ).

Picture over RGB scart is just appalling :eek: .

However, Mr Branson had sent me a replacement HDMI a few months back which was spare as it was his V+ box all the time, so plugging the player in to my Pioneer PDP436 with HDMI produced much more satisfying results!!

In fact, for £29 you can't beat this little beauty. Played back all the divx/xvid I've thrown at it so far - from DVDR and USB, and has displayed photos from the digital camera. Remore response is a bit sluggish, and the remote is pretty naff - not really bothered about that, 'cos I'll sort it out with the Harmony over the weekend. Audio over digital coax is acceptable too.... only thing was a bit of jittering at the start of some of our disney DVDs.

I wanted this to tide me over until the streaming HD boxes get a bit better. Then I'll splash out on something. Until then, I'm a happy camper. :thumbsup:

BB

I was gonna buy the Evesham at £50 a couple of months back, and never got round to it. When I saw this, I nipped round to Asda and picked one up (actually, it's only £29 :) ).

Picture over RGB scart is just appalling :eek: .

However, Mr Branson had sent me a replacement HDMI a few months back which was spare as it was his V+ box all the time, so plugging the player in to my Pioneer PDP436 with HDMI produced much more satisfying results!!

In fact, for £29 you can't beat this little beauty. Played back all the divx/xvid I've thrown at it so far - from DVDR and USB, and has displayed photos from the digital camera. Remore response is a bit sluggish, and the remote is pretty naff - not really bothered about that, 'cos I'll sort it out with the Harmony over the weekend. Audio over digital coax is acceptable too.... only thing was a bit of jittering at the start of some of our disney DVDs.

I wanted this to tide me over until the streaming HD boxes get a bit better. Then I'll splash out on something. Until then, I'm a happy camper. :thumbsup:

BB

Thank goodness for that ! :D

Thought I was the only one plagued with a dodgy Scart output :rolleyes: It could well be that they haven't made a very good job of the RGB Scart output :nono: which is something I currently need - not a good picture & only 1 channel working for audio is a big :thumbsdow

Although the results via HDMI seem to be better you would still expect to have a proper functioning DVD player even if you did pay only £29 !

The quality of the Scart output (and confirmation of this) & the fact that it showed some juddering picture freezing on discs is a good enough reason to take it back for a refund rather than an exchange :(

BTW I don't think the remote is 'sluggish' it's just the software driving the user interface - menu setup, etc. - which is a bit slow but much faster than I saw on the Tevion 8000 :)

BTW I don't think the remote is 'sluggish' it's just the software driving the user interface - menu setup, etc. - which is a bit slow but much faster than I saw on the Tevion 8000 :)
Agreed. It would be better to say "response to remote commands is sluggish". I can confirm this when I get the Harmony programmed.

I'm not gonna get too critical on this thing. For £29, what can you expect. That said, I would probably have taken it back if I was using the scart - but I wanted it for divx and HDMI, and it does that with aplomb. It's a steal.

BB

think i might take a look at one of these today afterall £29 is cheap as chips and as long as i have no probs with hdmi or disc reading issues ile be satisfied.

PQ through HDMI seems fine to me, not tried scart and never will.

all sold out around here , need to wait till tuesday to see if i can get one :)

going to pick mine up in a couple of hours so ile let you guys know what its like on my samsung le46m87bdx,hopefully its a keeper :thumbsup:

I don't want to disappoint any of you guys who have bought one, but;

for anyone contemplating it, don't bother.
The PQ via HDMI is terrible, IMO.
Edge enhancement is improved, but that's it.
In fact it's decidedly blurry, with the "Matrix", which surprised me.
To be fair "Black Hawk down" seemed ok, but not noticably better
The setup screen is great, pin sharp and much better than the VM menu :thumbsup:
Until you put a moving picture on it.
The brightness seemed markedly lower than my other inputs, but I didn't go to the trouble of setting it up exactly, as I only have 1 HDMI socket on my tele and "Eastenders" was calling the missus.

All of that is in comparison to a £50 Skyworth SD player on my Hitachi 7200.

I've probably got no chance now, but any North brummies can come and pick mine up for £20 via a PM

EDIT
Then again, it might be a better move for you guys with LCDs, as they seem to crave any higher definition.
And no, I'm not hyping it up just to sell it :rotfl:

Hi

Ive owned the asda dvd player for a few hours and im very pleased with the upscalling ability its on par with the aldi tevion dvd8000 that i had a few months back until it started to play up and not read dvd's.Its also as good if not better than the upscalled image with my xbox 360 but without the infernal raquet.

ive also with help from my brothers borrowed p$3 found it on par with its upscalling ability so as long as its reliable ile be a happy chappy.

its got a 28 day satisfaction warranty and if it breaks down within the first 12months asda will replace or refund.

It looks good as it kinda matches my samsung le46m87bdx with its piano black and mirror chrome details :thumbsup:

ive not tried the usb functions or the scart as ile never use them,this is just for dvd viewing via HDMI and will bridge the gap until either sony or samsung sort out the issue with 24hz playback on blu ray discs on the p$3.then it'll be HD all the way.

lets face it £29 its a frackin bargain:smashin:

Hi

Ive owned the asda dvd player for a few hours and im very pleased with the upscalling ability its on par with the aldi tevion dvd8000 that i had a few months back until it started to play up and not read dvd's.Its also as good if not better than the upscalled image with my xbox 360 but without the infernal raquet.

ive also with help from my brothers borrowed p$3 found it on par with its upscalling ability so as long as its reliable ile be a happy chappy.

its got a 28 day satisfaction warranty and if it breaks down within the first 12months asda will replace or refund.

It looks good as it kinda matches my samsung le46m87bdx with its piano black and mirror chrome details :thumbsup:

ive not tried the usb functions or the scart as ile never use them,this is just for dvd viewing via HDMI and will bridge the gap until either sony or samsung sort out the issue with 24hz playback on blu ray discs on the p$3.then it'll be HD all the way.

lets face it £29 its a frackin bargain:smashin:

I also had the Tevion 8000 which was bought last September. For £40 you got a hell of a lot regarding connectivity & outputs, a 5 in 1 flash memory card reader, HDMI cable, a naff Scart cable. And it played a load of different files burned onto one disc, none of this fannying around what you can or can't have on a disc as it won't be able to read it, etc. :suicide:

Unfortunately like you it began to refuse to read some discs, and this was only after having used it not all that much which was a bit of a poor do.

I think the Asda ONN player uses the same processor as the Tevion - Zoran Vadis 888, something like that hence the same GUI though updated software by the looks of things. I'm led to believe that the Toshiba uses the same hence the same GUI again.

that would explain a lot as i thought the menu looked slightly familiar albeit more refined than the tevion effort.lets just hope the other hardware inside this is more reliable than the tevion.

Bought a caddy for an old 160GB HDD I had floating around so finally had a chance to test it out with a hard drive rather than USB flash drive and I'm happy to report it happily reads from a 160 fat32 partition with no problems.

My only criticism of the thing is it doesn't recognize long file names but provided you name your files appropriately then that shouldn't be an issue.

bought one of these today as a stop gap cant seem to understand how to get progressive scan pressed " video " button and just get blank blue screen read instructions but just says to press " video " button several times. can any one give me some advice on how to set this up for my samsung 74bdx.

as s-l-o-w-l-y as possible as im a bit of a div:rolleyes:

cheers:D

daz

bought one of these today as a stop gap cant seem to understand how to get progressive scan pressed " video " button and just get blank blue screen read instructions but just says to press " video " button several times. can any one give me some advice on how to set this up for my samsung 74bdx.

as s-l-o-w-l-y as possible as im a bit of a div:rolleyes:

cheers:D

daz

Sorry, can't help you with your technical problem but I do admire your avatar of TC and your sig.

UTB ! :smashin:

you need to have it connected with an hdmi cable to your lcd tv for starters.then press the hdmi button to change between the different upscalled resolutions

pal auto
pal 576 p
pal 720 p
pal 1080 i

job done and enjoy

I've attached this DVD player via an HDMI-DVI cable to my 32" Plasma TV as it only has DVI. Although I get a good picture when selecting hdmi (720p) in the menu, at the highest resolution (1080i) the picture deteriorates and gets random pixelation. Why is that?
In addition when I press the HDMI button on the remote it says option disabled. Should it?

I've attached this DVD player via an HDMI-DVI cable to my 32" Plasma TV as it only has DVI. Although I get a good picture when selecting hdmi (720p) in the menu, at the highest resolution (1080i) the picture deteriorates and gets random pixelation. Why is that?
In addition when I press the HDMI button on the remote it says option disabled. Should it?

im not good with plasma specs but are you sure that a 32" plasma is capable of a 1080 interlaced signal ??.

Id guess its probably not so 720p would be your best (optimal) setting.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom