JVC DLA-HD350/HD750 thread. owners/reviews/etc (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sigida

Standard Member
Reaction score
In this thread you can write about your experience with the machine,
settings etc.

I Am very happy with the persuit of the projector, It is very quite, one of the things that bother me with my old projector, the sharpness is very good.
you could describe the picture quality with the Pioneer Kuro Plasma tv.
I have white walls, but because of the lens Aperture you can lower it and still get a very good picture but with very good black.

One thing my wife didnt like was the projector was very big twice the size of the old one ..

Any quetions.

I will be very happy to answear your quetions here.
I am from Denmark so the english is not that good, hope you can understand me.

Last edited:
Just an observation, in case anyone needs to know. The sound emitted from my 750 projector is virtually inaudible except if you are standing right next to it and there are no other sounds in the room!

The only dissapointment (if you can call it that) is the cheap looking, and feeling remote, plus it doesn't always seem to provoke the PJ into action. I have tried pointing at the screen and the PJ but sometimes it needs more than one or two presses! Time to get the Pronto out of retirement! :)

Just an observation, in case anyone needs to know. The sound emitted from my 750 projector is virtually inaudible except if you are standing right next to it and there are no other sounds in the room!

The only dissapointment (if you can call it that) is the cheap looking, and feeling remote, plus it doesn't always seem to provoke the PJ into action. I have tried pointing at the screen and the PJ but sometimes it needs more than one or two presses! Time to get the Pronto out of retirement! :)

Its great to hear that the remote is the only thing you find disappointing - like you said that is what learning remotes are for and most will use that. In fact I never really use the remote that comes with any device.

Thanks for confirming the pj is whisper quiet. I assume you are referring to low bulb mode. Can you please put it into high bulb mode? Certainly it will be noticeably louder. What I would like to know is whether you'd still consider that perfectly acceptable and if you think it would be distracting during quiet parts of movies when sitting directly under the pj about 5 feet overhead.

Also Paul I cannot recall - did you post details about your convergence? I'd like to know whether there is any issues there and also how evenly is any misconvergence spread across the screen (i.e. more in the corners vs. off by 1/3 pixel across the entire screen etc). Thanks!

Noise levels are about 2x as loud in 'High' mode. It was just audible from about 5-6ft in a completely quiet room. Any sound form the audio completely masks it. Now lets be clear. I am able to position my ears about 18" away from the projector. Mine stands on a bookcase at the rear of the room and the bookase is 6'4" tall. The sound in 'Low' is barely audible from 18". In 'High' mode is more clearly audible and then I have to be 5-6ft away before I think it's the same level as 'Low'. However, as soon as any other audio is available to my ears the PJ was there in sight but not sound.

As to convergence, the Installers did that whilst I watched. If I recall it looked spot on out of the box to me, and we only had a small keystone adjustment to suit the screen, but again that was minor.

I think the Pro's amongst you will need to answer the more detailed questions once they have their own PJ. It takes me a while to find where in the menu's things are! :D

All of you who have one of these, now or on order will not be disappointed. It's just awesome... I am not easily pleased, but this PJ has won me over in spades. IF it can be made 'better' then it simply moves from Awesome, to absolutely awsome (I know it's subjective but I am difficult to please when it comes to technology!) :thumbsup:

If anyone wants the HD750 Instruction Book, it's now available from the main JVC site.

Link Here.

Hi all,

i've bought my HD750 yesterday and will try it tonight.

It comes in replacement to my HD100 (i'm expecting more lumens).

It's used in a dedicated room in the basement.
It's TOTALLY black (walls, ceiling, carpet, couch ...). Even the leds from the electronic that are behind me have been masked.

The screen is 280 cm Wide (110 ").

Il let you know toworrow my first impression.

If you have any question, feel free to ask.

yours,

Cyril
(sorry for my poor english)

sorry but is it not more then 200" that is the maximum you can get with a screen with the projector.

If by 200" you really mean 200 inches wide, then that's 508 cm!

Hi all,

It's TOTALLY black (walls, ceiling, carpet, couch ...). Even the leds from the electronic that are behind me have been masked.

Cyril

Wow, you sound like a serious viewer!

I look forward to reading your impressions, and how your new HD750 compares to your HD100.

Thanks,

Rich.

Hi all,

It comes in replacement to my HD100 (i'm expecting more lumens).

The screen is 280 cm Wide (110 ").

Il let you know toworrow my first impression.

If you have any question, feel free to ask.

yours,

Cyril
(sorry for my poor english)

Cyril - congratulations on your new pj! I look forward to your impressions. In particular I'd like to hear your impression on: convergence (how good and how even), any trace of "bright corners" on a 0 IRE pattern?, sharpness compared to HD100, overall PQ compared to HD100, black level, and of course your impressions overall. Thanks!

Yes it is very easy to use, it took me 5min to get the picture to fit the screen. i have to check with the zoom, but that is normal with the refocus.

Having so far set up 70 of them for testing, I've got it down to under 3 minutes. I have to say, I hadn't really considered using a projector at home, but the 750 has got me thinking "Do I really need that Dining Room?"

Having so far set up 70 of them for testing, I've got it down to under 3 minutes. I have to say, I hadn't really considered using a projector at home, but the 750 has got me thinking "Do I really need that Dining Room?"

Hi Gary - do I understand you correctly that you've had an opportunity to test out 70 HD750 units? If so, can you please comment on what degree convergence varies from unit to unit? With older designs (aka RS1) it was fairly normal to see some units with nearly perfect convergence, and other units no very much so.

Is that still the same or has the manufacturing process improved to provide more consistency. Same question for color banding (horizontal yellow-ish/brown-ish bands of color visible on bright scenes) and bright corners. Thanks!

Thanks for the pics HAWK-EYE. Those are some of the clearest pics I've seen yet for the HD350. Of course the pics always look MUCH better in person but its always nice to get a taste through the pics. Thanks again and keep em coming. :)

Hi Gary - do I understand you correctly that you've had an opportunity to test out 70 HD750 units? If so, can you please comment on what degree convergence varies from unit to unit? With older designs (aka RS1) it was fairly normal to see some units with nearly perfect convergence, and other units no very much so.

Is that still the same or has the manufacturing process improved to provide more consistency. Same question for color banding (horizontal yellow-ish/brown-ish bands of color visible on bright scenes) and bright corners. Thanks!

It's 30x HD750s and the rest HD350s so far. Convergence has been tighter on 350/750 than previous models, and they were pretty good. On all the 350s/750s I haven't seen any colour banding (which mainly a affected a few early HD1s) or bright corners.

It's 30x HD750s and the rest HD350s so far. Convergence has been tighter on 350/750 than previous models, and they were pretty good. On all the 350s/750s I haven't seen any colour banding (which mainly a affected a few early HD1s) or bright corners.

Excellent news - thanks!

Did somebody noticed on the 750/350 that after a while the fan increase the speed and the projector is much louder than before? You have to shut down the projector for a couple of minutes than you will get the "normal" fan speed.

I just wonder if I can turn of this negative Feature?

Can anybody share their settings on the 350.

Where did you find Phil's settings?
I couldn't find them in the review.

Thanks from a newbie to this side of the pond.

scott

Did somebody noticed on the 750/350 that after a while the fan increase the speed and the projector is much louder than before? You have to shut down the projector for a couple of minutes than you will get the "normal" fan speed.

I just wonder if I can turn of this negative Feature?

What type of ventilation/clearance do you have around your pg? Sounds like possibly some of the exhausted hot air is getting sucked back in and being recycled. If the pj cannot get a fresh supply of cooler (normal room temperature ranges) air then it probably has a sensor that determines the unit is not getting cool enough so it kicks the fan into a higher gear.

I had this issue with my Ruby years ago. It had its intake on the sides, and exhausted out the rear. The unit was ceiling mounted. The air out of the back was so hot and since the pj was mounted near (about 8") the back wall the hot air would just kind of hang around and get sucked back into the side vents and after a while the fans kicked into high gear. It was really annoying and I wound up solving it by building a baffle of sorts that forced the air out another direction.

Does the 350 have a high altitude mode? If so you might want to try switching it into this mode from a cool start and see if that fan noise is what you are hearing when the higher fan kicks in.

Hi all,

this first try was .... too short :-(. I had only 15 minutes to try it: my wife doesn't know i bought the HD750 8 months after the HD100 ...
And unfortunatly, as the new one is longer i can't put it directly where my HD100 is ...
After this try i had to plug the HD100 again to watch a movie with my wife while the hd750 was so close...

So, this would be my very first and fast impression:

Wow about the luminosity !! It's impressive how much more lumens you get, it's even a bit "agressive" at first. on a 110" wide screen the hd100 was really too weak THX, high power, and with iris at 4 if i remember well (i put both projector on "hide" to get the black screen and i closed the iris until i got the same black on both (visually)).
That way i was able to see the difference in luminosity, keeping the same black level.
I'll try later to close the iris more to see if prefer more CR even if i'm losing lumens.

Second thing i noticed, is the increased sharpness. I hadn't much time too look but it definitivly looks better. I'm using an HTPC, the Vista environnment looked crisper.

I'm almost forgot THE bad thing: the remote is a crap. It didn't work when aiming at the screen, i had to aim directly at th PJ (will try with other batteries that the one supplied by JVC) and the buttons are very unconfortable to use, it's difficult to use without getting them illuminated.
It's had too express but that have a strange lousy feeling, you never feel if you really pressed them or not, especially the arrows.

This working day will be too long !!! i'm dying to be tonight and be able to watch my first movie with the hd750!

yours,
Cyril

Hawk-Eye,
Thanks for posting the screenshots. The screenshots seem to be over-saturated from what I can see. Further tweaking should improve it.

This projector seems to be a far more improved projector from the HD1.

Hawk-Eye,
Thanks for posting the screenshots. The screenshots seem to be over-saturated from what I can see. Further tweaking should improve it.

This projector seems to be a far more improved projector from the HD1.

Agree to that. From these images, the colours are looking terrible.

Agree to that. From these images, the colours are looking terrible.

Explained about the colours camera not good enough but looks fine on screen. More interested in getting the gamma correct thoughts??

any of you guys flog a 100, to get your new toy?, if you did, any ideas on the second hand values?.

This is about as close i can get to whats on screen used manual settings + photoshop to remove the red in the pic the camera adds

Attachments

• S6000664.JPG
    S6000664.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 1,920
Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom