Optoma Hd65 Hc Projector: general queries, prices - Part 2

mine arrived on the day it was supposed to, but i wasnt in, so they left a card, with their details on it, and the number to phone, but as luck would have it, the guy actually came back later in the day, to try again, and dropped it off.
but having used them before for other things,they do leave a card, and will redeliver..you just have to make sure that they dont leave it at a neighbours,or at the back door - i would ask littlewoods about that, as its something that was an option when i bought mine,not sure if its still there though.
after seeing the box's, i can understand why he re-tried, as the screen box is about 6" wide, x 6" high x close to 3metres long.
the projector itself, in my case, was strapped to it,through the pj's carry handle with those packing strips.

and did u receive the 92" screen, i am so close to pulling the trigger on this one, cracking deal but cant decide between this or hd700x or even the pro200x available from dixons who can decide for me?!

Hello again, another thing that's confusing me is the length of the screen, e.g. a 92" Diagonal screen will 50" deep, how much excess do they have as i get the impression I'll be looking up at a rather steep angle :D, also what's the quality of these screens like and are too bright, sorry for these question I'm a proper Duffer:eek:

Cheers:thumbsup:

Hi folks, hope you can help to cheer my up :lease: feeling pretty gutted. Have been after a HD65 for ages, and always seem to miss out on the good deals.

Have just missed out on one, in the for sale section of this forum, and have just read most of the pages of this part of this thread. Can you guess why I'm depressed yet...

You guys seem to have got some stunning prices for one. Have just checked Littlewoods site and thier prices is now-£579. They've got to be mad if they think many people will pay that. :rolleyes:

Can anyone suggest a store with a good price at the mo. If it comes with the screen + discount codes that's even better. :thumbsup:

I have a friend who runs his own company so can get him to order it and save the vat which is great - but even taking off 15% most of these prices are still to high.

Go on make me smile I dare you :D

Ryder, when you go through to buy the projector at the checkout stage, there is a box where you can add voucher codes. If you add xx234 it will take off 20% which makes it about £450.00. If you join Quidco.co.uk and go through to the Littlewoods website from there it could reduce it by about another £30

As per my previous post, this is how to get it cheaper from Littlewoods.com

Dixon's have been off line for the last few hours, does anyone know if they're having financial probs-memories of Woolies.

Had been thinking of buying one off them, or trying to get Richersounds to price match their price. Think D's have got a discount code or two floating around, which should bring the price down futher.

Dixon's have been off line for the last few hours, does anyone know if they're having financial probs-memories of Woolies.

Had been thinking of buying one off them, or trying to get Richersounds to price match their price. Think D's have got a discount code or two floating around, which should bring the price down futher.

Why not try Nick @ CVS media for a 1st class service:

ThemeScene® HD65 Home Cinema Projector 1600 Lumens 720p HDMI v1.3 Optoma HD65

2 in stock:)

bought my HD65 from CVS, may price match (see website) and even offer discount to AVF members. I know he did when i bought the PJ but you will need to check to see if he still does:thumbsup:

Yes £579 at Littlewoods but enter promo code: xx234 and get 20% off which brings it down to about £453 with free screen!

Dont you just hate it when people dont read the previous posts all the infomation for the deals we have recently got are in there people should stop making others double post infomation thats already on this thread right first rant over send rant my Pj and screen were suppossed to be coming today but phoned to check it was on its way and guess what its not my delivery date has been moved to tommorrow i'd explained to the nice lady about me having today off expecially and now she's making some enquires to find out if they can do any thing i will just have to sit and wait in the meantime will post back when i have more news on my Pj.

Dont you just hate it when people dont read the previous posts all the infomation for the deals we have recently got are in there people should stop making others double post infomation thats already on this thread right first rant over send rant my Pj and screen were suppossed to be coming today but phoned to check it was on its way and guess what its not my delivery date has been moved to tommorrow i'd explained to the nice lady about me having today off expecially and now she's making some enquires to find out if they can do any thing i will just have to sit and wait in the meantime will post back when i have more news on my Pj.

It's almost as bad as long posts without any punctuation.:D

I'm worn out reading it.

Arrrrggghhh, decisions decisions. I am still considering this or the 700x over a 40"LCD as I want to go as large as poss for the £500 mark but just concerned with lamp life. I worked out that my tv is on max 6 hrs a day and 20 hrs at weekend mainly gaming and pc. Working it out I would have just over 35 days of lamp life which at around £84 a month is gonna be costly (at 2000 hrs lamp life or so).

Are the lamps really that low hrs wise?

On a lighter note, those with the xbox360, have you played any music with the psychedelic background on this??

I think that's an average, mate. Some last longer; others, unfortunately, not as long.

Also, and I don't mean to cause any offence, I think your arithmetic is a little out. If you watch 6 hours TV a night in the week and 20 hours over the course of the weekend, that's 50 hours a week.

On that basis, the lamp will last for 40 weeks. The relevant cost is then the cost of a new lamp, not the amount you bought the PJ for. These are around £120, which means that your running cost is around £3 p/w.

If you want to add in the per week cost of buying the PJ in the first place, you need to work out how long you intend to own it for. Say, 3 years and you have to add in another £3.20 p/w (assuming a purchase price of £500).

So, £6.20 p/w.

Not that bad, in my opinion!

but just concerned with lamp life. I worked out that my tv is on max 6 hrs a day and 20 hrs at weekend mainly gaming and pc. Working it out I would have just over 35 days of lamp life which at around £84 a month is gonna be costly (at 2000 hrs lamp life or so).

Are the lamps really that low hrs wise?

6hrs x 5 weekdays = 30hrs
weekend = 20hrs

therefore 50hrs per week usage

lamp life 2000hrs (but with your usage pattern should last considerably longer)

2000hrs/50hrs per week = 40weeks

So the question is a £90 lamp worth it? Thats up to you to decide, but I am using mine about the same per week and I say :thumbsup: definitely!
Some guys with other projectors have to fork out £200 - £400 per lamp!

Last edited:
mine arrived on the day it was supposed to, but i wasnt in, so they left a card, with their details on it, and the number to phone, but as luck would have it, the guy actually came back later in the day, to try again, and dropped it off.
but having used them before for other things,they do leave a card, and will redeliver..you just have to make sure that they dont leave it at a neighbours,or at the back door - i would ask littlewoods about that, as its something that was an option when i bought mine,not sure if its still there though.
after seeing the box's, i can understand why he re-tried, as the screen box is about 6" wide, x 6" high x close to 3metres long.
the projector itself, in my case, was strapped to it,through the pj's carry handle with those packing strips.

Any chance you could let me know the model number of the screen you got from Littlewoods? Was it DS-9092PMS

Cheers Rotten!

yep, thats the one..
im not the only one who got a 92" from littlewoods, in the part 1 of this thread,there are others too.

yep, thats the one..
im not the only one who got a 92" from littlewoods, in the part 1 of this thread,there are others too.

Hi RottenFox, is the screen ok and was easy to put up, also as I'll be sitting at about 10' 6" form the screen do you think it will overbearing...(I hope not):eek:

Cheers

i bought 2 hooks(same kind for holding curtain tiebacks on a wall),which were of reasonable strength,and screwed them into the roof,so mine is suspended.
there are no brackets with it as such, as it has 2 keyholes on the back,so you just place 2 screws in the wall, and slide the screen down onto them.

as for overbearing,i guess im about the same distance away from my screen..and i suppose it all depends on what you class as overbearing..
personally i wanted a bigger screen,and still do...:rotfl:

i bought 2 hooks(same kind for holding curtain tiebacks on a wall),which were of reasonable strength,and screwed them into the roof,so mine is suspended.
there are no brackets with it as such, as it has 2 keyholes on the back,so you just place 2 screws in the wall, and slide the screen down onto them.

as for overbearing,i guess im about the same distance away from my screen..and i suppose it all depends on what you class as overbearing..
personally i wanted a bigger screen,and still do...:rotfl:

Cheers RottenFox, that's what I wanted to hear, I also want the biggest screen possible, however I was just remembering when I got my 45", It took a while to get used it as previous screen was 33" 4:3. So, it just a question of waiting for the funds to come thro' and I'll be hitting the Trigger.:D
Now I need to do some measuring and make sure I get it right, I'll probably put pj on a shelf about 8.5" below the cieling (8' 6") if you think of any tips /tricks of the trade I'd be Eternally grateful:thumbsup:

Did you find the joists easily enough, sorry; Im a born worrier.

Last edited:
i had a an electronic joist finder, it bleeps when you pass over one of the nails in the joist, and has an arrow marker on the sensor part, marking the near exact point the nail is in, so after finding the way the joists went, i just caught one of the nails, then moved the finder across the ceiling, and deduced where they were, and after measuring up the PJ/screens distances, i screwed in the hook, and really just hoped for the best.:rotfl:

for mounting, get a helper, for the correct positioning of it,and the screen, and dont commit to screwing anything into walls or roofs unless you are sure..as you will spend a lot of time with polyfilla and paint if you do, i guess.:smashin:

Last edited:
This looks more and more like the sort of deal I should go for.
The issue for me is that I probably wont set it up for another 6 months or so due to having to re-arrange rooms and decorate.
With that in mind Is it likely that this will be superseded (and indeed reduced price wise) to a level that would would make this deal worth passing up on?

Cheers

Paul.

RottenFox: I just thought I would mention my experience of using strong hooks to hold a screen up. My cinema room was upstairs so I had access to the loft and I put 2 3inchx2inch joists at 90 degrees to the ceiling joists with joist hangers. Then put 2 big strong hooks through the ceiling into my new joists. Hung the screen up on the hooks and all was great for 6 months. Then one evening I pulled the screen down to my watching position, started watching a film. There was a big explosion on the film and the sub rattled the windows. The screen must not have been pulled down quite right, and the vibration made it roll back up very quickly. So quickly in fact that it jumped of the hooks and landed on my AV kit!!! The screen is now bent including the housing, and has 2 wrinkles in it, luckily it just squashed my Sky box.

I will no longer put up a screen with hooks!! Use eyes and shackles, that way it can't jump.

I guess you have some precaution in place to stop it jumping but I just thought I would share my experience.

nah..no precaution..just the gaps on my loops are incredibly small,and i had to "pop" one side of the pj loop in.
also,its not above my av kit, its in front, a deliberate move on my part,if it ever did fall.:smashin:
your right about it rocketing up at some speed if its left..i gave it some slack one time to see,and just about let it go, it moved up so quick.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom