card write protected on new canon eos 450d

jimmy5jumpers

Established Member
Reaction score
please help me!!
just received my refurbished canon eos 450d from canon-outlet, charged the battery, inserted SD card, turned it on and i get the message "card write protected" and i cannot take any photos.
The slide on the side is not in the locked position, and i have tried a couple of cards (SanDisk 1.0GB) and get the same message.
I can see the pictures that I have taken on my other digital camera, but it wont let me delete them either.
Is it my camera, or is it my SD cards?
Hope i dont need to send it back after a day to get repaired. I have googled the problem, and it seems alot of other people have the same problem

thanks

odd, the card(s) write in other cameras or on a computer?

Yep, both fine in other camera.
I bought a new SD card this morning, coming up with exactly the same message. The slidey bit at the side is definitely not on lock, not sure what to do (apart from sending it back)

If you're certain the tab is not locking the card, then it must be a problem in the card slot of your camera.
It's possible the tab is getting stuck somehow when you're inserting the card and is sliding the tab to lack the card. (I had this problem with an old usb card reader)
Check the card slot to see if anything is gettng caught otherwise looks like it'll have to be sent back :(

I've not experienced this problem myself but I know someone who has and they were able to fix it very easily and this is what they did.

If you look inside the slot for the SD card you should see a little micro switch which is what detects the position of the write protect slot on the card itself. His was stuck in the on position the whole time but he found that with the use of a small screwdriver he could just tap the micro switch and it pinged back into the off position where it should be normally and from then on it worked perfectly and has never caused him a problem since. Essentially it had just got temporarily stuck and just needed a little tap to free itself.

Now obviously you do this at your own risk and you may very well not want to stick anything inside the SD slot of your new camera and I dare say that if you did and the company found out that this is what you had done that they wouldn't give you a refund so I'll leave it up to you to decide if it's worth the risk or not.

cheers.
I phoned Canon technical, they told me to reset all the camera settings (which i did) and that didnt do anything!!
I am sending it back for repair (they said if there was the same model in-house, they would send me a brand new one) which is quite good, seeing as though i purchased a refurbished one!!!! I suppose i'll have to wait & see.
Cheers for the advice :smashin:

It rather sounds like you have discovered the reason it was sent back to Canon by the original purchaser, and it's not been fixed properly. (if at all)

Thats my guess.

May be worth trying the suggestion posted previously, or else the only course is to get it exchanged for another.

Just noticed your last post. I think that is the best bet, AYS you may end up with a new one. Hope they sort it for you.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom