A little advice from the people who know more than me.........

UglyChild uk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello ladies and gents, after a bit of advice/guidance from you if you could be so kind.

I am currently in the market for a media server to service all my pcs/laptops/streamers in my place and have decided on one from Tranquil PC Tranquil PC Limited SQA-5H-2000.

As I have never used such a device or used WHS I just wanted to check that everything I want to do is possible. Sure these are all pretty simple but thought it best to check before I forked out the cash.

1. I want to use this as my main storage for all my media. I understand that I just literally plug this into my lynksys router and I can move everything of my current HTPC and laptops.

2. I will be able to stream from the server to my HTPC, 2 360's one which is hardwired to the router the other is 20 feet away and one wall on a wireless adapter, and stream to two laptops both running vista. Obviously not all at the same time.

3. Can I set up Utorrent directly on the server and be able to say start a download from either my laptops or HTPC?

4. Will I be able to do the above via a Macbook if I ever went down that route in the future?

Just want to check all that is possible without any major hassles, don't need how to do everything at this stage as will figure that out when I have it just need to know it is possible before I buy it.

Just to confirm my current set up which this will need to intergrate into.

HTPC via DVI-HDMI to Thor switch- ethernet direct to router
Xbox 360 via HDMI to Thor Switch- ethernet direct to router
Sky HD via HDMI to Thor Switch
Thor Switch to HDMI splitter to Panasonic PJ and Plasma

Xbox 360 via wireless adapter in bedroom
Two Dell laptops running vista and using wifi.
Will be plugging the server just straing into the router.

Any thoughts comments will be much appreciated.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom