Fluid head tripod for SD900 camcorder

petet66

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a new tripod with a nice smooth fluid head for video but that is suitable for use with a lighter camera such as the Panasonic SD900. I'm not bothered about the tripod being lightweight, I want it to be sturdy.

The recommendations from suggested threads when I put the title were mainly about a Slik model that cost around £90 but the threads were from a year or two ago.

What are the current best buys? If I could get one for under £100 that would be great but I'd rather pay more (up to £200?) to get something decent that will last rather than buy cheap buy twice :)

I was looking at the Manfrotto 701HDV Fluid Video Mini Head which Jessops have for £80 and then could add legs for aoround £100. The only thing that slightly concerned me was "Balance Control: One fix spring for 1.5kg camera weight" as the SD900 might be a litle bit light for this head. Has anyone got this head/legs combination?

Last edited:
My Velbon VC-7000 has served me well for a few years and if I needed another tripod I would buy this model with no hesitation, picked up a reasonably priced extra spare plate for it too

The recommendations from suggested threads when I put the title were mainly about a Slik model that cost around £90 but the threads were from a year or two ago.

That was probably one of my threads. I bought a Slik 504QFII about 5 years ago, and have been very pleased with it. Not a particularly well known name, so doesn't carry the extra costs that some of the 'designer name' makes seem to add.......

If you already have 'legs' then the head on it's own is really quite cheap:

Slik 504QF II Video Head: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

although even the whole thing is not badly priced:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Slik-504QF-...UGIW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354722569&sr=8-1

There are some typical reviews here:

Slik 504QF-II Tripod System 615-504 B&H Photo Video

Like most people, I can only comment on the device I chose for my own use, but I can say the Slik is a well constructed unit.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thanks to you both. With the Slik rogs do you find it is still nice and smooth on pans and tilts after five years? The big test for me is the start or end of a pan, is there any judder or sticking before it starts to move or at the end of a pan? Also is there any noise (squeaks etc) on moving? My old tripod has started making a grinding noise on tilts (I think from the spring used to counterbalance the camera). Shame as it has served me well.

Update: I just watched a very impressive test video shot on the Slik. One thing I found in a review was that it has a spring which makes it difficult to achieve high angle up or down tilts, is that your experience rogs?

Last edited:
Thanks to you both. With the Slik rogs do you find it is still nice and smooth on pans and tilts after five years? The big test for me is the start or end of a pan, is there any judder or sticking before it starts to move or at the end of a pan? Also is there any noise (squeaks etc) on moving? My old tripod has started making a grinding noise on tilts (I think from the spring used to counterbalance the camera). Shame as it has served me well.

Update: I just watched a very impressive test video shot on the Slik. One thing I found in a review was that it has a spring which makes it difficult to achieve high angle up or down tilts, is that your experience rogs?

I just checked - I've actually had it for over 6 years!......no, there are no squeaks, judders or 'stickiness' at all. It's as good as the day I bought it. Very smooth pans - even with a very light camera - and a good length removable pan handle to control things. For ultra smooth starts and stops, the old rubber band trick works really well!

Yes, there is a spring type return action in the vertical plane, which, with the retention knob fully released, will return the plate to horizontal, from the vertical, almost instantly.
However, this retention knob is fully adjustable, so that you can go from 'fully locked' to 'fully free' with a good degree of control in between.
This allows for very smooth vertical control, as well as smooth horizontal panning.
And as I say, it feels the same today as it did when I bought it!

I have nothing to compare it with, so I don't know if other reasonably priced equivalents are as good, but I cannot personally find fault with it.

If there is any criticism, then it might be that, as it is of a sturdy construction, it is not exactly a featherweight.
But it's not so heavy as to be a nuisance either, in my opnion...as you can tell, I'm struggling here to find any faults at all!

(And no, I don't work for Slik! :))

Thanks again for such a comprehensive reply :)

I have to show my ignorance, what is the rubber band trick?

The Rubber Band Trick is to put a rubber band over the pan bar and pull it with your finger. You can learn to do the same by flexing your fingers and lower arm to gently accelerate the pan from rest to your desired speed.

It takes practice and is easier with heavier kit, but can be learn't quite quickly.

As noiseboy describes!.....see here for details :

(BTW, it's best to ignore most You Tube demonstrations of actual panning... the encoding seems to clag up the 'smoothness' -- but the illustration of the technique is useful )

One further point --- if you don't have the option to shoot at 50p, use 50i rather than progressive. Makes for 'smoother' background footage while panning...

I have a Bilora Pro-Flo - anyone know this model ?

- it has a fluid-effect head, but the whole thing is a tad "lightweight" IMHO - so it's quite easy to upset the tripod when in use. A heavy weight attached to the centre could help -
+Recently I modified a poor-legs Jessop tripod, ( bought cheaply), it stiffened lots with a foot rest I made (Like one stirrup). Those plastic cams are just not built for long-life . . . and I'm none too keen on twist-lock tubes either.

The Bilora weighs-in at 1.5kg

That Manfrotto head will be devine - give it a try in-store. IMHO video-tripods should have secondary bracing - ideally a floor-mount "spreader" these are available as Manfrotto accessory....about £100 a throw. My own Manfrotto tripod weighs-in at over 5kg and is super-steady - but then, it's far too heavy for country-walking.... the bag itself is a monster.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom