Is it worth the cost?

Movieman

Established Member
Reaction score
Just thinking as things have moved on and developed, would £510 be well spent on the oppo bdp 83 blu Ray player over my current sony ps3. The kit it will be used with is list below in my signature.

Just thinking as things have moved on and developed, would £510 be well spent on the oppo bdp 83 blu Ray player over my current sony ps3. The kit it will be used with is list below in my signature.

depends what you want and how you intend to use it.

Well going to use it as blu ray player to watch movies via my Panasonic PT-AE2000 HD 1080p projector!

Well going to use it as blu ray player to watch movies via my Panasonic PT-AE2000 HD 1080p projector!

and does the projector also do you audio? there are shed loads of ways to connect these player ups, connection methods, analogue / digitial. If you are only wanting to conect a blu ray player to a 1080p screen via HDMI and not intesrest in any audio or other features like DVD playback etc then the PS3 is great.

and does the projector also do you audio? there are shed loads of ways to connect these player ups, connection methods, analogue / digitial. If you are only wanting to conect a blu ray player to a 1080p screen via HDMI and not intesrest in any audio or other features like DVD playback etc then the PS3 is great.

As stated in my first post it will be connected to the kit listed in my signature below, i.e lexicon RV-8 receiver, B&W speakers & panasonic projector. I'm just not sure £510 will get me any improvement over the PS3? Pic or sound wise.

As stated in my first post it will be connected to the kit listed in my signature below, i.e lexicon RV-8 receiver, B&W speakers & panasonic projector. I'm just not sure £510 will get me any improvement over the PS3? Pic or sound wise.

but that doesn't help anyone give you advice. For audio you can connect by potentially HDMI, SPDIF in digital (both with or without DTS re encode) or analogue with any new player. Your receiver is too old for HD HDMI connection so you are left with SPDIF, SPDIF DTS re encode or analogue. The latter consumer a large proportion of your ‘flexible' inputs on your receiver which may be taken up by your long list of all your other kit anyway. We have no idea how you do your bass management with your kit and what role the SMS1 does here in your system or if you are taking advantage of BM and the ADC on the Lexicon (excellent but may only be stereo). Bass management will be critical for analogue connection. The SPDIF routes work well, especially DTS re encode. PS3 does the former and although basic works well enough for most people however many Lexicon users often just leave stuff to L7 anyway regardless. DTS re encode will give a modest but worthwhile improvement on Dolby based codec discs above straight DD.

Re picture then there is limited difference at best for blu rays doing 1080p @ 24 films when set up and calibrated properly, the difference occurs with SD (DVDs) and 1080i material (rarer) and we have no idea if you will use these facilities on this player or not. Most of us mainly watch 1080p @ 24. There are multiple ways of playing DVDs on your system and you may have a favourite way currently you will stick with or you may want to improve this area. This is one of the biggest jumps for the 'more expensive' players if you only use this player for 1080p @ 24 blu rays it is irrelevant however.

If as would be my best guess form a list you are just playing blu ray films using SPDIF and 1080p HDMI direct to what ever projector you have then the only tweak you can have is DTS re-encode (sticking with existing ways of doing stuff). This will give a minor tweak to Dolby codecs (majority are DTS now days) and so will be poor value for ‘£500' (can do this for £100 if you want). I have no idea if you want or can even use analogue connections (hence the original question) or if you want anything else as well (hence the original question). This information makes all the difference and does not come from a kit list. You need to state what you want from the player and how you intend to use / connect it for people to be able to advise whether it will effect audio and picture quality, a highly subjective area at best.

More money now generally buys better analogue connection, facilities (like DVD A, SACD, MKVs, streaming etc), build quality, speed and better SD video processing. People will not know if any of these are relevant, from a kit list, to you.

Last edited:
Thanks that's answered my question, even though may have been a bit long winded. Cheers

I'm just not sure £510 will get me any improvement over the PS3? Pic or sound wise.

Yeah but £220 on say a LG BD390 will get you DTS re encoding, and stunning SD upscaling. As Nic points outs, the way you use the final device has a bearing on what you can surpass the PS3 with. He may be an old windbag :rotfl:, but he does do carlsberg technical replies I would say. :smashin:

Last edited:
Thanks CJROSS
I know NIC was being very helpful, with a great reply. I have been into home cinema for going on for about 15-17 years, I was one of the first people in the UK to get a DVD player, they were not available in the UK I had to import it from the states. I know all about the technical side of picture and sound connections, I just thought that the reason most people bought a certain player was the quality of the sound and picture it gives you. I bought the PS3 at a time when there was not a lot of choice and it also gave you more than just a player, and as it happened it turned out to be an excellent blu Ray player. Now as things have moved on with far more choice, the question was, is it worth moving away from the PS3 or does it still hold it's own. :D

Now as things have moved on with far more choice, the question was, is it worth moving away from the PS3 or does it still hold it's own. :D

Picture wise, BD wise I think you will struggle, all seem to me to have decent pictures for BD incl the PS3. SD upscaling, this to me is where the BD player can vary. Go for one that has great user testimonials, SD wise the LG is stunning an improvement over the PS3 cant say have not seen much SD on a PS3!

SQ wise with your kit yes you can improve on it, you can improve on it I feel even for £200 (DTS Re Encoders). £400 and above will start to get you better anlg outputs and SACD/DVD-A (Oppo/ CA 650BD etc) and anlg multichannel outs (with hindered bass management though). Having been and big SACD/DVD-A audio user, I can say that DTS re encode (and even the anlg outputs on my £200 BD player) sound excellent. Not sure you need to spend £500 if you don’t need the anlg outputs? Pic wise, much a muchness, unless you are going to very big screen displays.

I got my Pioneer 717 in 1996 FWIW IIRC! Brand new £500. Amazing what £200 gets you these days. :smashin:

and I got up at 5 am to help you guys :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom