Foehn & Hirsch blu-ray player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice one John, will be interesting to see what ebuyer come back and say!

Hmmm....

So i received my player recently... tried 4 films - no picture - no sound. On any of these T2, Serenity, Batman Begins, Dark Knight.

The play loads the discs and i get the little clock counting down as if its playing in the background - occasionally my tv reacts like its had signal change or something? where the info appears in the top corner.

Dud player? or is this the power of Blu Ray... i didnt expect the dark knight to be quite this dark.

Few more pages - thought i'd give an update on the situation.

Ebuyer, nice as they are collected promptly, returned in 5 working days a brand new player.

One small issue - exactly the same problem :\ plays everything but blu ray discs :\.

Am i really that unlucky, or could something else be the root. The tv display tells me its playing 1080p 24hz - just no sound or picture :s on.

Oh well... least i get to talk to the lovely folk at customer serivces again. :(.

**EDIT i just tried it on an older television and it worked. The Tv can only output at 1080i though :\.

The main tv it wont work on is a samsung LE40B530 any one got any good ideas?

Its also worth noting, that it says BD-ROM when it loads teh discs on samsung, and just shows a play symbol on the other - in the top right hand of the screen. Works thru red white and yellow wires on the sammy fine too :\

Last edited:
Well, Ebuyer are sending me out a replacement remote - hopefully will be here Friday (a week after I received the player and informed them that the remote was dead). Shame, really, as I decided to buy a replacement player when Ebuyer reduced the price on Ebay for the DOTD. Looks like I'm going to end up with two players. Opps!

Few more pages - thought i'd give an update on the situation.

Ebuyer, nice as they are collected promptly, returned in 5 working days a brand new player.

One small issue - exactly the same problem :\ plays everything but blu ray discs :\.

Am i really that unlucky, or could something else be the root. The tv display tells me its playing 1080p 24hz - just no sound or picture :s on.

Oh well... least i get to talk to the lovely folk at customer serivces again. :(.

**EDIT i just tried it on an older television and it worked. The Tv can only output at 1080i though :\.

The main tv it wont work on is a samsung LE40B530 any one got any good ideas?

Its also worth noting, that it says BD-ROM when it loads teh discs on samsung, and just shows a play symbol on the other - in the top right hand of the screen. Works thru red white and yellow wires on the sammy fine too :\

Possibly try:-

- A variation of HDMI leads.
- Connect the player to the internet (ethernet) although this should not really be an issue with playback.
- Stick a USB stick (2BG minimum) in the back.

Anyway, hope you sort it. :smashin:

Nb. When loading a bluray, mine always shows the BD-ROM symbol first, then the play symbol.

Last edited:
Well, Ebuyer are sending me out a replacement remote - hopefully will be here Friday (a week after I received the player and informed them that the remote was dead). Shame, really, as I decided to buy a replacement player when Ebuyer reduced the price on Ebay for the DOTD. Looks like I'm going to end up with two players. Opps!

Better luck this time around! :thumbsup:

Got one today; plays mkv vids fine- but won't play mp3's or jpegs. Anyone any ideas pls??

I just tested my Dark Knight USB freebie from play.com (they came preloaded with high res pics from the film). Also just stuck on a few extra high res images to test (jpeg). All fine (look exceptional actually on my screen). BTW, the layout and options for just sifting through pics are great (i.e. playing all files, creating a playlist, etc). Are you using USB or CD to view jpegs?

I've tried audio CD's and all have been fine but not tried MP3 as yet (will post if I find probs).

:)

Possibly try:-

- A variation of HDMI leads.
- Connect the player to the internet (ethernet) although this should not really be an issue with playback.
- Stick a USB stick (2BG minimum) in the back.

Anyway, hope you sort it. :smashin:

Nb. When loading a bluray, mine always shows the BD-ROM symbol first, then the play symbol.

Tried them :( now its gotten worse - wont accept any discs just a red X. :( not even dvds anymore. lol.

Oh well was thinking of ringing em and paying the extra for the BD360 anybody had good experiences with that one?

I just tested my Dark Knight USB freebie from play.com (they came preloaded with high res pics from the film). Also just stuck on a few extra high res images to test (jpeg). All fine (look exceptional actually on my screen). BTW, the layout and options for just sifting through pics are great (i.e. playing all files, creating a playlist, etc). Are you using USB or CD to view jpegs?

I've tried audio CD's and all have been fine but not tried MP3 as yet (will post if I find probs).

Thanks John; i'm using an 8 Gb usb.

Thanks John; i'm using an 8 Gb usb.

This one is less than 1GB. I can't see why the 8GB would be a problem however.

Ps. Just downloaded a random podcast episode in MP3, stuck it on the USB pen and playback is perfect.

Are you getting the (lovely looking!) USB confirmation symbol in the right portion of the screen when attaching the pen? Or is the problem after successfully reading the pen, the files simply won't play?

Tried them :( now its gotten worse - wont accept any discs just a red X. :( not even dvds anymore. lol.

Oh well was thinking of ringing em and paying the extra for the BD360 anybody had good experiences with that one?

Thats a shame.

Ps. I think there is an LG BD360 thread currently open. :)

Actually, there's a Sony BD360 too but I'm pretty sure your talking about the LG...?

Last edited:
This one is less than 1GB. I can't see why the 8GB would be a problem however.

Ps. Just downloaded a random podcast episode in MP3, stuck it on the USB pen and playback is perfect.

Are you getting the (lovely looking!) USB confirmation symbol in the right portion of the screen when attaching the pen? Or is the problem after successfully reading the pen, the files simply won't play?

How odd- just turned it back on and now working! Good quality too! Thanks again John! :)

How odd- just turned it back on and now working! Good quality too! Thanks again John! :)

Sweet! :thumbsup:

Yeah, the menu and overall layout is really pleasing on the eyes. The image quality is top notch. :smashin:

If you were playing a DVD or something before it, perhaps it did not like the transition to USB (therefore the on/off method worked)?? At least its sorted now though. :)

Last edited:
Just tested a WMV file also on my USB pen - no problem on playback.

I never normally use MKV's etc but if that information above is useful to anyone then...there you go. :)

Microsoft (just 2 days ago) released a fix for USB sticks for PCs. A well known problem going back 6 or 8 months. It was for 32GB sticks mainly but it shows you new technology takes time to filter through -or at least manufacturers can and will only fix things once they have the facts (enough reports).

I've been using a 4GB and 16GB (this one here -very solid bit of kit) flawlessly for months no problems. If you get a problem with a particular stick reformat it and just like strange Bluray discs take it out and reinsert if you get a problem. Or even plug it in, power down the machine (off) and then start up as normal.

Well mine has just arrived so will be giving it a test drive later. Only one problem though, this is my first foray into Blu-ray so I don't have any discs as yet. I assume blockbuster type films are the best to give it a proper work out but which ones are generally considered the best overall? (please don't mention Avatar as I don't wish to see it again just yet).

Yay..my replacement remote arrived and WORKED! Player seems fine, but not really given it a real testing yet. Twenty minutes after the remote arrived, there was a knock at the door. A nice UPS man gave me my second player! Not taken that one out of the box yet, but it will be going in the bedroom (even though I've told the other half it's going back ;) ).

My broken TV has finally been repaired and will be dropped off tomorrow. There's a bit of a story to this...

I recently ordered a new phone and got a free Samsung 32 inch LCD HD ready TV with the intention of putting my old 32 inch HD LCD TV in my bedroom. I even bought a new bracket to fix the old TV to the wall and went to bed a happy bunny. Next morning (after placing my order for the new phone and TV the night before) I woke up to find my old TV, which had shown no signs of having any issues, refused point blank to turn on. It wouldn't even go into stand-by. It was totally dead. :( I can tell you I was not impressed. Anyway, £112 later, the old TV is fixed and going up in the bedroom along with the second BD player and my spare EP30 HD-DVD player. My OH's mum has always said the bedroom is no place for a TV. In fact, she caused a bit of an argument about this very issue a couple of years back. Unfortunately, she passed away last year. I think she broke my old TV to stop me putting it in the bedroom! Why else would the old TV die the morning after I'd ordered a new TV? She's haunting me, I tell you!

Yay..my replacement remote arrived and WORKED! Player seems fine, but not really given it a real testing yet. Twenty minutes after the remote arrived, there was a knock at the door. A nice UPS man gave me my second player! Not taken that one out of the box yet, but it will be going in the bedroom (even though I've told the other half it's going back ;) ).

My broken TV has finally been repaired and will be dropped off tomorrow. There's a bit of a story to this...

I recently ordered a new phone and got a free Samsung 32 inch LCD HD ready TV with the intention of putting my old 32 inch HD LCD TV in my bedroom. I even bought a new bracket to fix the old TV to the wall and went to bed a happy bunny. Next morning (after placing my order for the new phone and TV the night before) I woke up to find my old TV, which had shown no signs of having any issues, refused point blank to turn on. It wouldn't even go into stand-by. It was totally dead. :( I can tell you I was not impressed. Anyway, £112 later, the old TV is fixed and going up in the bedroom along with the second BD player and my spare EP30 HD-DVD player. My OH's mum has always said the bedroom is no place for a TV. In fact, she caused a bit of an argument about this very issue a couple of years back. Unfortunately, she passed away last year. I think she broke my old TV to stop me putting it in the bedroom! Why else would the old TV die the morning after I'd ordered a new TV? She's haunting me, I tell you!

-Speechless- :rolleyes:

But...let us know how you get on with the player - crossing my fingers!!

Can anyone tell me how to enter the Multiregion code,e.g 973501 on the Foehn & Hirsch Blue ray player? When I turn on their is "no disc" displayed,and pressing the numbers on the remote does nothing! Just got the machine,Thanks

Can anyone tell me how to enter the Multiregion code,e.g 973501 on the Foehn & Hirsch Blue ray player? When I turn on their is "no disc" displayed,and pressing the numbers on the remote does nothing! Just got the machine,Thanks

Your doing everything right - there is no confirmation that the hack has worked on screen. Best way to check is by sticking a disc in. :)

FYI, the second to last number represents the DVD region code and the final number the bluray region.

...my spare EP30 HD-DVD player...

She's a lovely old lady! She can still put a good show on with the odd HDDVD from my -never to be increased alas- HDDVD collection.

Glad you got the remote sorted.

rogerhp said:

When you press the digits on the remote with the disc not playing (I can have a disc in mine just not ready to play) the remote centre button lights up. I've also noticed (might just be my Limit firmware) that the digits appear on the screen too. No digits = disc loaded = the Region won't be changed. If unsure just enter the digits with the drawer open.

icon2.gif
Changing Regions:

With no disc in the tray & tray closed - enter 973502 and press enter - this provides multiregion DVD and region B bluray playback.

With no disc in the tray & tray closed - enter 973501 and press enter - this provides multiregion DVD and region A bluray playback.

Simply change the second to last number to represent the region code of DVD and the last number to represent Bluray code.

That's not -as I said- necessarily my experience but it still works.

When you press the digits on the remote with the disc not playing (I can have a disc in mine just not ready to play) the remote centre button lights up. I've also noticed (might just be my Limit firmware) that the digits appear on the screen too. No digits = disc loaded = the Region won't be changed. If unsure just enter the digits with the drawer open.

icon2.gif

Changing Regions:

With no disc in the tray & tray closed - enter 973502 and press enter - this provides multiregion DVD and region B bluray playback.

With no disc in the tray & tray closed - enter 973501 and press enter - this provides multiregion DVD and region A bluray playback.

Simply change the second to last number to represent the region code of DVD and the last number to represent Bluray code.

That's not -as I said- necessarily my experience but it still works.

I always do the following and have never had a problem:-

- Power up the player with no disc in the tray.

- Once 'nodi' (or 'no disc') is displayed, type in the code (Nb. I do not get numbers on screen or confirmation that the hack has worked).

- Now just pop your choice of disc in and play as normal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom