Oppo BDP-83 Owners Thread - All regions

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingfats

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
HPIM3323.jpg

Region free details. (mod kit or buy player)

Region free mod kit instructions.

Region free firmware download.

*It's based on the beta 601 version but only upgrades the main firmware, so make sure you've already upgraded fully (all 3 parts) with the 601 from the Oppo site first, then copy just this file down a "UPG" folder and load it in the normal way*

*The Blu-ray region is switched by entering a 4 digit code while on the setup menu. So just press setup on remote once so the menu appears then hit:

7891 : Region A and region free DVD
7892 : Region B and region free DVD
7893 : Region C and region free DVD

The setting is saved when the player is switched off, as with any other option*

FAQ's. (excellent for info)
Online manual.
Official site,specs,firmware.
Close up pics of the players motherboard,chips etc.
Nics first impressions of the player.Another user review. (updated)
Video setup guide and player features.

Pro-reviews.
Secrets of Home Theater.
Audioholics.
Audio/Video revolution.
About.com.
Home Theater Magazine.
Ultimate AV.

Hidden features.
Pressing Eject on the remote will power on the player and eject the tray.
If you press and hold the Setup button on the remote you will get the Picture Adjustment menu directly.
For DVD the Top Menu remote button is the same as TITLE, and the Popup Menu remote button is the same as the MENU function on DVD remotes. (Not all discs use both functions).
When playing DVD (not Blu-ray), pressing the YELLOW button on the remote will take you to chapter 1 of the longest title on the disc. You can use this during startup to skip the introductory material.
When playing DVD, the BLUE button performs the random/shuffle cycle for titles and chapters, just as with media files and audio tracks.
JACKET_P images on DVD are supported. JACKET_P is optional cover art that displays when a disc is stopped.
With mp3 files, the browser will display ID3v2 tags, including "PIC" cover art images.
CD-Text is shown on the On Screen Display: album name, artist and track title.
You can play AVCHD. See Is AVCHD video supported?
You can get Slow playback in forward and reverse by pressing Pause and then using the right and left arrow buttons. The speed steps are 1/16, 1/8, 1/4 and 1/2.

My findings with the player.
Packaging.
Build quality and player size comparison.
Load times.Player operation and features.
Audio settings.83 remote turning on your other Oppo kit as well? click here.
BDP-83 as a DVD player.
SD and HD processing.
BDP-83 as a CD player.
BDP-83 compared to the Sony 5000ES and Pioneer LX91.

BDP-83 vs the Denon 3800 BD player. (willharris10)

BDP-83 vs Arcam DV139 SACD/DVD-A. (sapper)

Blu-ray-BDP-83_front-1.jpg

Blu-ray-BDP-83_back_hr.jpg

Last edited:
Any news on the cut-down player destined for Europe? I don't need half the features of the BDP83 and doubt I would notice the lack of Anchor Bay chip on my 42" plasma. A 50% reduction in the price would be noticeable. :)

Any news on the cut-down player destined for Europe? I don't need half the features of the BDP83 and doubt I would notice the lack of Anchor Bay chip on my 42" plasma. A 50% reduction in the price would be noticeable. :)

Still no news i'm afraid mate. :(

Been awake since 7 am ish waiting for the doorbell.

Post man has been with more Blue ray discs but as yet no courier...

The only good sign is that there is no calling card either!!

Arrgghhhhhhhh

Spent the time preparing the hi fi rack for the player though.

Hope some of you have been luckier with your courier!!

Adrian

Last edited:
Hi sapper. :)
Have you checked the tracking number?

Hi sapper. :)
Have you checked the tracking number?

Frequently, still down as "out for delivery" but most couriers stop around lunchtime on a Saturday

Some couriers cannot also update their tracking details until the van has returned to the depot

Adrian

Hi, I've read quite a bit of the earlier threads but I have a few questions regarding PAL playback just to sum things up and get it right:

1. The 50hz/60hz problem has been reported with Pio plasmas & some projectors (?) but is not a common problem (I have a Samsung LE40A656 LCD myself)?

2. The framing problem occurs with ANY set if 1:1 mapping is used? (From what I understand, this will probably get fixed in future FW updates)

3. 1080p24 is not available for PAL playback. Can/will this presumably be fixed in future firmware updates?

Thanks!

Hi, I've read quite a bit of the earlier threads but I have a few questions regarding PAL playback just to sum things up and get it right:

1. The 50hz/60hz problem has been reported with Pio plasmas & some projectors (?) but is not a common problem (I have a Samsung LE40A656 LCD myself)?

2. The framing problem occurs with ANY set if 1:1 mapping is used? (From what I understand, this will probably get fixed in future FW updates)

3. 1080p24 is not available for PAL playback. Can/will this presumably be fixed in future firmware updates?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. :)
1.That would be using the Auto resolution setting,you can manually set resolution if needed as well of course. :smashin:
2.Hopefully in next update.Only occurs with 2.35:1 PAL for me. (pixel mapping ON)
3.No player can send PAL @ 24p.
All the best.

@ sapper hope your player comes soon mate.

Last edited:

Thanks!

1. I guess it may depend on what EDID the display advertises but my guess is if 1080p/60 is highest resolution/freq this is what "auto" will set as player output even for PAL. Personally I would avoid auto.

2. The PAL active image area is incorrect based on PAL alignment test patterns. The result is some image data is missing i.e. cropped and the image position is shifted to the right. If you are 1:1 mapped this should be an issue until it's fixed.

3. 1080p/24 should never be used with PAL film playback as it's the wrong freq due to PAL film material being sped up to 25hz during telecine. Thus this should never be an option now or in the future.

AVI

1.That would be using the Auto resolution setting,you can manually set resolution if needed as well of course. :smashin:

But from what I understand the Auto setting works fine with most newer LCDs, right?

Still one more question regarding the BDP-83´s DVD-A playback:

For headphone listening, I use a dedicated DAC which has digital ins only. I've read that some DVD-A players can downconvert to 2 channels via S/PDIF/Toslink while keeping the original sample rate - provided the disc is encoded to allow this - can anyone confirm if the Oppo can handle this? I know SACD doesn't allow digital output in this way.

But from what I understand the Auto setting works fine with most newer LCDs, right?

Works fine to my KRP which is a 1080p set :smashin: not sure what everyone else is finding but no doubt your get plenty of replys.

Mine is set to auto and no problems, I have been lucky as I am not seeing any bugs in my setup with the Oppo :thumbsup:

Mine is set to auto and no problems, I have been lucky as I am not seeing any bugs in my setup with the Oppo :thumbsup:

Not even the PAL alignment issue ? :confused:

AVI

Not even the PAL alignment issue ? :confused:

AVI

No, not from what I can see, I have looked at the pics posted by other members and I am not seeing that issue and have watched quite a few PAL dvd's?

No, not from what I can see, I have looked at the pics posted by other members and I am not seeing that issue and have watched quite a few PAL dvd's?

That's interesting. Oppo have confirmed that output that uses the VRS i.e. anything other than source direct for with PAL has data missing due to the image being cropped/mispositioned prior to output. The reason I ask is to help Oppo track down the correct problem and at the moment this isn't believed to work with some display but not with others.

Out of interest are you using a 1:1 pixel mode or something else on your display. If it's the later it may simply be your display reformatting/stretching the image to fit. It's really easy to see the issue with a PAL alignment pattern if you have one.

AVI

That's interesting. Oppo have confirmed that output that uses the VRS i.e. anything other than source direct for with PAL has data missing due to the image being cropped/mispositioned prior to output. The reason I ask is to help Oppo track down the correct problem and at the moment this isn't believed to work with some display but not with others.

Out of interest are you using a 1:1 pixel mode or something else on your display. If it's the later it may simply be your display reformatting/stretching the image to fit. It's really easy to see the issue with a PAL alignment pattern if you have one.

AVI

My set is a samsung 46" LCD 1080p, I do not have that 1:1 pixel setting, I know what you mean as I had that when I was using a Pioneer 436, all that the panel is set to is 16:9 and then the player outputs on auto and I do not see any issues, maybe my panel is correcting it but not sure?

Been awake since 7 am ish waiting for the doorbell.

Post man has been with more Blue ray discs but as yet no courier...

The only good sign is that there is no calling card either!!

Arrgghhhhhhhh

Spent the time preparing the hi fi rack for the player though.

Hope some of you have been luckier with your courier!!

Adrian

mines arrived at 11.30:thumbsup: played about with it and i think it looks great and i am well chufed with it.

I am having the issues a few people have had such as if set to multisystem and playing a pal disc it still sends at 60hz, setting it to pal sorts this though so no biggie,also with my tv set to screen fit i get the black bars round the edge of the picture, however setting the tv to 16/9 solves this as well. Tested out the multiregion playback and it works great.:thumbsup:

Works fine to my KRP which is a 1080p set :smashin: not sure what everyone else is finding but no doubt your get plenty of replys.

Have 1080p Panny plasma (last years model) and it does not work with the Auto function on Video Output. Remember, in most set-ups, this is a non-issue, as one simply sets the output resolution as prefered in the "Video Output" menu (1080p in my case) and then PAL plays at 50hz and NTSC at 60hz, provided one also sets the TV system to "Multi-system".

My set is a samsung 46" LCD 1080p, I do not have that 1:1 pixel setting, I know what you mean as I had that when I was using a Pioneer 436, all that the panel is set to is 16:9 and then the player outputs on auto and I do not see any issues, maybe my panel is correcting it but not sure?

Your panel will be overscanning the image by a few % therefore you will not see the border :smashin:

I have settled on 'full' for DVD and 'dot by dot' for BD until the issue is fixed :)

It will only show with pixel mapping ON so you've got no worries. :smashin:

I am having the issues a few people have had such as if set to multisystem and playing a pal disc it still sends at 60hz, setting it to pal sorts this though so no biggie,also with my tv set to screen fit i get the black bars round the edge of the picture, however setting the tv to 16/9 solves this as well. Tested out the multiregion playback and it works great.:thumbsup:

Welcome to the club.:D It is a brilliant piece of kit. Once the PAL image shift/clipping issue is solved, I will be retiring my Denon 3930. I cannot get over what great value the Oppo is, given its core picture and audio quality (both of which are similar in SD to the highly rated 3930, and, of course, it is a BD player!), and the formats it plays without concern. Also, it has some really useful features like its Zoom modes, instead of all this internet widget stuff that currently seems all the rage. Plus, with the hardware mod kit, it really is a universal solution. Important as history is repeating itself in the difference between Region A and B Blu releases (like the bad old days of R1 and 2 DVD), with many Region A releases having better features or extended cuts of movies.

Last edited:

It's possible that the panel is correcting i.e. overscanning as I can also mask the issue using the display if I don't use 1:1. :)

AVI

cheers chaps :thumbsup: all I see is a bloody good picture and I love the full screen mode :cool:

Your panel will be overscanning the image by a few % therefore you will not see the border :smashin:

I have settled on 'full' for DVD and 'dot by dot' for BD until the issue is fixed :)

I would do that too, but am too lazy to fiddle with the overscan settings on my TV.:) Currently use the Oppo for BD and NTSC DVD playback, and Denon 3930 for PAL playback. It is such a hard life.:devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom