Eastern Promises reverse sound problems

BritBoB

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just finished watching the UK Blu-ray release of Eastern Promises. Whilst I thought the film was fantastic I couldn't help noticing that both the DTS and DD soundtracks had left and right sound reversed. As it's not a film that heavily relies on the stereo soundtrack it took me a little while to notice, but there are certain scenes, particularly with the singer/acordian player walking around the table in the restraunt that clearly the sound that should be coming from the left is coming from the right! Once noticed it becomes quite disracting. Has anyone else had the same problem or is it just my disc, which seems unlikely.

I've just finished watching the UK Blu-ray release of Eastern Promises. Whilst I thought the film was fantastic I couldn't help noticing that both the DTS and DD soundtracks had left and right sound reversed. As it's not a film that heavily relies on the stereo soundtrack it took me a little while to notice, but there are certain scenes, particularly with the singer/acordian player walking around the table in the restraunt that clearly the sound that should be coming from the left is coming from the right! Once noticed it becomes quite disracting. Has anyone else had the same problem or is it just my disc, which seems unlikely.

Stupid question but are you 100% sure your speakers are set up correctly? I know, I know your probably saying of course they are you numpty but it's worth checking. I have the US HD DVD and didn't notice this problem but then it's a different distributer and everything for the UK blu ray.

Stupid question but are you 100% sure your speakers are set up correctly? I know, I know your probably saying of course they are you numpty but it's worth checking. I have the US HD DVD and didn't notice this problem but then it's a different distributer and everything for the UK blu ray.

I thought while I was writing the post that I should probably mention this. Yes, definately all set up properly. In fact I was using Dolby Surround Headphones at the time so there was no chance of a mistake (and I had them on the right way too ;) )and after i had finished the film I double checked my sound set up with the calibration tools on the Ratatoullie BD both with my speakers and headphone settings and all fine too. I have been scouring reviews of the disc to see if anyone mentions the problem but so far there are only reviews of the US BD or the HD DVD like you have.

I have just watched the UK disc and I also noticed reversed channels in some scenes (car passing by at 0:16:38, Anna trying to start the bike at 0:26:00, singer with the acordian changing the side of the table at 1:00:00) :(.

I watched the DTS-HD MA track and didn't check the other track...

I also noticed that in one scene there where subs for one sentence, that was was not spoken in Russian...

I think I will be getting the US disc now.

I have just watched the UK disc and I also noticed reversed channels in some scenes (car passing by at 0:16:38, Anna trying to start the bike at 0:26:00, singer with the acordian changing the side of the table at 1:00:00) :(.

I watched the DTS-HD MA track and didn't check the other track...

I also noticed that in one scene there where subs for one sentence, that was was not spoken in Russian...

I think I will be getting the US disc now.

Thanks for putting my mind at rest andreasy969, I thought I was going mad as no one else seemed to have noticed a problem. I have scoured reviews and other forums but no one else seems to mention it, but I notice it at all of the places that you list. I sent my initial copy back for a replacement but that was exactly the same as well. Let me know if you get the US disc and it works OK as I would consider that option too.

Last edited:
Thanks for putting my mind at rest andreasy969, I thought I was going mad as no one else seemed to have noticed a problem. I have scoured reviews and other forums but no one else seems to mention it, but I notice it at all of the places that you list. I sent my initial copy back for a replacement but that was exactly the same as well. Let me know if you get the US disc and it works OK as I would consider that option too.

I already have the US disc from Universal for some weeks now (I had forgotten this thread...), and the channels are not reversed here :). Picture quality seems to be pretty much the same to me (maybe even better on the US), so I can highly recommend to buy the US disc.

By the way: The English subs on one sentence, that was not spoken in Russian (I mentioned this in my last post), also showed up on the US disc, so I think, that this is part of the master.

Last edited:
I don't have this one but my Laserdisc copy of Never Say Never Again had the same problem. The sound was very poor too. I bought the DVD. The sound was still very poor but It didn't have the reverse sterio problem.

Cheers
Bri

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom