Sony S350 vs. Panny BD35

inverseSquare

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

In a previous thread I was deciding between the PS3 / S350 / S550... (I have a 40W4500, no other AV gear)
Now decided to definitely get a standalone player, but i never really investigated other manufacturers.

The Panny BD35 seems a popular choice, slightly more expensive than the S350, not as much as the S550.
Am I right in saying that the BD35 decodes the HD sound like the S550 does ?

I hear the picture quality is arguably slightly better on the BD35 (especially with regards to up-scaling dvds) but are there any other functional differences between it and the S350 ? Do either have (or miss) any common features ?

Many thanks.

Am I right in saying that the BD35 decodes the HD sound like the S550 does ?

Decodes TrueHD and DTS-MA :smashin: same as the 550 yes.
The 350 has coaxial and "forced" 1080p/24 option,the 35 has 24fps playback for NTSC DVD and some picture adjustment options as well.
350 manual.35 manual.

Last edited:
Decodes TrueHD and DTS-MA :smashin: same as the 550 yes.
The 350 has coaxial and "forced" 1080p/24 option,the 35 has 24fps playback for NTSC DVD and some picture adjustment options as well.
350 manual.35 manual.

So the the panny 35 doesn't have 'forced' 1080p/24 option ? In what case would that be required ? When i used my TV with a PS3 + BluRay discs it seemed to change to 1080p/24 with no problem...

Even though the 35 will do NTSC at 24fps, it will still be region 2 ?
(24fps NTSC means it will be dropping frames then ?)

Thanks for the help :)

So the the panny 35 doesn't have 'forced' 1080p/24 option ? In what case would that be required ? When i used my TV with a PS3 + BluRay discs it seemed to change to 1080p/24 with no problem...

Even though the 35 will do NTSC at 24fps, it will still be region 2 ?
(24fps NTSC means it will be dropping frames then ?)

Thanks for the help :)

Some displays (mostly PJ's) need 24fps sent forced otherwise it won't communicate properly with the player. (should be no concern for you)
24fps is the original framerate so will run smoother,otherwise it's conversion to 60Hz which causes slight judder on camera pans.
PAL is region 2 (50Hz) NTSC is region 1.
:thumbsup:

Some displays (mostly PJ's) need 24fps sent forced otherwise it won't communicate properly with the player. (should be no concern for you)
24fps is the original framerate so will run smoother,otherwise it's conversion to 60Hz which causes slight judder on camera pans.
PAL is region 2 (50Hz) NTSC is region 1.
:thumbsup:

Hi Kingfats. Can you explain exactly what 'forced 24fps' means?

I have just bought a sony vpl hw10 pj, it comes with a 'free' s350 (which I'm waiting for). I was actually planning to sell the s350 when it arrives and then buy a 35. Are you saying the 35 may not work with my pj?

I have just bought a sony vpl hw10 pj, it comes with a 'free' s350 (which I'm waiting for). I was actually planning to sell the s350 when it arrives and then buy a 35. Are you saying the 35 may not work with my pj?

Hi indus. :)
Is your sony vpl hw10 pj 1080p/24 capable at all?
EDIT: The vpl hw10 accepts 1080p/24 just fine so don't worry about the forced option as it's not an issue for you. :smashin:
All the best.

Last edited:
I have the BDP-S350 working just fine with my KDL40D3500, a model that is probably nearly 2 years old. I have several region 1 (NTSC) purchased from/purchased in the USA and I can see no perceivable judder. There are several settings that can turn 24fps off/on etc that may be worth exploring; but if it 'ain't broken................
Cheers, Syk

As the 350 is free( to you) I would suggest you try it before you sell it off unless the 35s ability to decode DTS-HD Master audio and SD card slot matter a lot more.
Despite all the " reviews" any difference with the 35 is ( to me) close enough not to bother and there is the matter of a common RM although it may be that you can ( like the Sonys) program your Panny remote to work with the TV see my post on this thread

http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-...-bdp-s350-panasonic-dmp-bd35.html#post8488332

Last edited:
I have a BD35 and it is fantastic. :smashin:

Overall I rate the BD35 over the S350.

By how much and in which way exactly?
Did you get to compare them?
I had both in my living room for over a week and played 8- 15 BD discs ( some identical DVDs) for comparison, asked my daughters in A;B testing to state differences and came to my own current conclusion

I dont think that the 350 is better than the BD35 but there seems to be a need for even existing owners of the 350 to find it inferior that puzzles me
In fact I find them to both be decent BD players better than thier previous models and cheaper
Since this is a 350 vs 35 thread it is fair to say which is better but I am unconvinced of how much better the 35 is as most who say so quote SD DVD upscaling and DTS decoding but Im certain if both were played with similar material on the same display ( BD from 720p to 1080p) a great many folk would be unable to say which was which.

Whatever you think about What Hi fis reviews , the fact that both of them have 5 stars says to me that they are far moresimilar than not and I would still say to any 350 owner reading this..you wont be getting much extra if you swop players
For a new buyer, buy the 35 by all means but if it is in short supply , the 350, or Samsung will do very well indeed

Last edited:
I hold an identical view Senu. I think the way to separate them is price. The 35 has been quite expensive but is now much better value. The 350 has had some amazing prices (I bought mine with 2 discs at £129). I don't see one as better than the other, just different.

Just a bit of follow-up :)

Went and bought a PanasonicBD35 yesterday :D All working great :thumbsup:

In the end I decided that it wasn't significantly more expensive than the Sony S350 - so I might as well :D
Furthermore, I noticed in some reviews people mentioned there was no slow-motion / frame advance on the S350 (a quick check of the S350 manual confirms this). While not a deal-breaker it did help strengthen the case (along with all the reports of slightly better PQ, sound decoding, etc..) that the BD35 was the one to go for.

Thanks for everyones help.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom