Oppo BDP-93 Networking Universal Blu-ray Player - Part 5

Hi guys apologies if this has been asked already. I haven't updated my firmware so can still playback.. Iso files. I'd like to update the player but would still like to be able to play the few 3d isos I have on external hard disk. Is there an easy way to convert the iso to a bdmv folder structure that will work with newer firmware? I cheers mick

Hello. Has anyone else noticed that with the latest beta firmware (BDP9xEU-74-0908B) auto pillar boxing with the '16:9 Wide/Auto' option does not work with 4:3 DVD material?

I have tested this with several 4:3 PAL and NTSC DVDs and in each case the picture is stretched horizontally.

After the FW upgrade I restored factory settings and erased the persistent storage.

Last edited:
Evening all,

Does anybody know of a dealer who still has the BDP 93 in stock? I was holding out for the release of the 103 but having seen the rear panel of the new player it's no good to me (need component out).

Thanks in advance for any info,

Stu.

Hello. Has anyone else noticed that with the latest beta firmware (BDP9xEU-74-0908B) auto pillar boxing with the '16:9 Wide/Auto' option does not work with 4:3 DVD material?

I have tested this with several 4:3 PAL and NTSC DVDs and in each case the picture is stretched horizontally.

After the FW upgrade I restored factory settings and erased the persistent storage.

Please can you email Oppo UK or use the contact form on their website to let them know.
This is a big fault but part of Beta testing so they can fix before the official release.

Evening all,

Does anybody know of a dealer who still has the BDP 93 in stock? I was holding out for the release of the 103 but having seen the rear panel of the new player it's no good to me (need component out).

Stu.

Have you tried Ideal Av

aandpwoodley said:
I would also like to know this before I update to this firmware as I also have a pro mod kit that I have only just updated due to the previous firmware issue.

Anyone please, just trying to find out if its safe to update to the latest beta firmware without causing problems with the pro mod kit, thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Please can you email Oppo UK or use the contact form on their website to let them know.
This is a big fault but part of Beta testing so they can fix before the official release.
Did that just now. I was actually hoping that someone here could verify my findings before I contacted Oppo UK.

Hi guys apologies if this has been asked already. I haven't updated my firmware so can still playback.. Iso files. I'd like to update the player but would still like to be able to play the few 3d isos I have on external hard disk. Is there an easy way to convert the iso to a bdmv folder structure that will work with newer firmware? I cheers mick

I think you will need a program like AnyHD DVD to enable you to navigate into the ISO wrapper, then you can just copy the folder structure elsewhere, the problem with 3D titles is that the storage capacity required (the resulting file size) pretty much doubles when you do this (don't know why).

I think you will need a program like AnyHD DVD to enable you to navigate into the ISO wrapper, then you can just copy the folder structure elsewhere, the problem with 3D titles is that the storage capacity required (the resulting file size) pretty much doubles when you do this (don't know why).

what he said:thumbsup:

i have gone thru this extensively anyDVDHD or DVDfab can rip the iso to BDMV folders and works well on standard blu rays.. it has been mention not too many posts back about a third pty f/w that may allow iso playback,... and should be coming soon, not sure if you need a pro mod kit installed thou!

your problem which was my problem is dvdfab just doesnt rip 3D isos to BDMV that well less you go the SBS route with MKV's,

anydvdHD does do it. but it doubles the size to approx 80-90GB:eek: your other problem there is the OPPO only sees amax of 2TB when it comes to external drives, but if you only have a few then that shouldnt be a problem

Evening all,

Stu.

I see them in Amazon for as low as £475.

Component out is no longer part of the spec's from 2013, so oppo dropped them already others will follow shortly!

I see the the 103 is going to be £499 and out this month and the Oppo93 is £475

For most of us the most notable change is cooler running. thanks to a better transformer.

The 103 will be soon, so at the moment I am tempted to pay £25 extra for cooler, quite running.

Alex

I see them in Amazon for as low as £475.

This is the US model and will have no UK or EU warranty. There are also differences between the US and EU models in relation to their firmware and network capabilities.

The EU models are specifically called BDP93EU.

Here are some officially authorised OPPO retailers who still have the BDP93EU in stock:

http://www.newcastlehifi.co.uk/products/ebz_product_pages/oppo_bdp-93eu.shtml?fshop

https://www.earsonfire.co.uk/products-page/blu-ray_players/oppo-bdp-93eu/

http://www.audiocominternational.com/blu-ray-players/11-oppo-bdp-93eu-region-free-zone-b.html

http://www.progressive-av.com/special_detail.asp?prod_id=396

http://www.acton-gate-audio.co.uk/products/product_details.asp?ProductID=3037

You can also find a list of authorised retailers here:
http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/where-to-buy/

Last edited:
This is the US model and will have no UK or EU warranty. There are also differences between the US and EU models in relation to their firmware and network capabilities.

The EU models are specifically called BDP93EU.

Here are some officially authorised OPPO retailers who still have the BDP93EU in stock:

Oppo BDP-93EU

https://www.earsonfire.co.uk/products-page/blu-ray_players/oppo-bdp-93eu/

OPPO BDP-93EU Region Free DVD + Zone B Blu-ray

Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray (BDP-93EU)

OPPO OPPO BDP-93 Blu-ray Player, OPPO Home Cinema, OPPO DVD Players - Acton Gate Audio

You can also find a list of authorised retailers here:
Where to Buy | OPPO BD UK

Just confirms what I was saying that it worth waiting for the oppo 103 pre-ordered at the same price, unless reasonable discount or multi region.

Just confirms what I was saying that it worth waiting for the oppo 103 pre-ordered at the same price, unless reasonable discount or multi region.

stu mcc needs a player with component video output which the new OPPOs do not hav. This is why is is asking about the BDP93 availability. As of February this year no new Blu-ray player will incorporate component video outputs.

Last edited:
Thanks for that lads, looks like I'll have to do some ringing round on Friday - if no joy there's always second hand when people start '' upgrading''. Was kind of hoping one of the dealers that frequent these pages might've had one lurking about but it looks unlikely.

Stu.

darren68uk said:
what he said:thumbsup:

i have gone thru this extensively anyDVDHD or DVDfab can rip the iso to BDMV folders and works well on standard blu rays.. it has been mention not too many posts back about a third pty f/w that may allow iso playback,... and should be coming soon, not sure if you need a pro mod kit installed thou!

your problem which was my problem is dvdfab just doesnt rip 3D isos to BDMV that well less you go the SBS route with MKV's,

anydvdHD does do it. but it doubles the size to approx 80-90GB:eek: your other problem there is the OPPO only sees amax of 2TB when it comes to external drives, but if you only have a few then that shouldnt be a problem

Thanks guys. I can mount the iso and as you say copy the BDMV folder but the doubling in size for 3d means it's not really workable. Any solution to keep at same size as iso?

Thanks guys. I can mount the iso and as you say copy the BDMV folder but the doubling in size for 3d means it's not really workable. Any solution to keep at same size as iso?

Nope :D

not if you wan to watch in 3D

I decided in the end to cave in for now and update, and what thanks do i get from oppo, they try disabling my Promod kit, damm fecklers!!! but did the update and all ok now,

im just gonna wait and see if this custom f/w comes out, if it doesnt, then it will be the purchase of medai player that can handle 3D iso's beleive the new dune ones might,

, then it will be the purchase of medai player that can handle 3D iso's beleive the new dune ones might,
Yep the new Dune TVx03D models as well as the Max 3D & Base 3D models should all offer full 3D from a BluRay rip once released - hopefully all these, except for the Max 3D, will be released before the end of the year.
IFA Day 2 – Dune HD 3D models « my-HTPC

Mark.

Yep the new Dune TVx03D models as well as the Max 3D & Base 3D models should all offer full 3D from a BluRay rip once released - hopefully all these, except for the Max 3D, will be released before the end of the year.
IFA Day 2 – Dune HD 3D models « my-HTPC

Mark.

I was told by a guy from NuForce some weeks back that they will be doing there own NuForce Blu-ray based Media Server that can play and rip blu-ray, there emphasis was going to be on high quality audio too, he had no idea on timescale or full features but might be worth a peek in the future...

Hey all ive been looking at getting an oppo for a while any of you ever use it for music, hows it perform ?

( know music really aint its forte but never know )

Hey all ive been looking at getting an oppo for a while any of you ever use it for music, hows it perform ?

( know music really aint its forte but never know )

Not sure what you expect from it and what kit it would be partnered with and as sound quality is subjective then you might get many different opinions.

I had a 93eu for over a year and used it all the time for music, in all honesty with High-Res music such as SACD or high res flacs and WAV's I found it to be pretty capable... with Standard CD I thought it was a bit flat but I used an external DAC with it for that in got a really good performance.

I was trying to streamline and have less boxes though so I sold it an bought a Nuforce Extreme version of the 93 (the only difference being the analogue audio) and I am pretty happy with that all round and so even sold my DAC as standard CD now sounds pretty good too, as a one box solution like that it does a good job of most things imho, If I spent ££££'s on a dedicated CD player I am certain it would be better but thats not the point though?

But maybe the main thing is the 93 and the 95 models are about to be replaced with the 103 and 105 models, the details of the models are already on Oppo's websites and at least the 103 is due to start shipping fairly soon:

OPPO BDP-103 Blu-ray Disc Player

BDP-103EU | OPPO BD UK

PS if you are using HDMI to connect to an AV receiver then it is the receiver that is doing all the decoding too, not the Oppo.

Last edited:
BrianMW said:
Not sure what you expect from it and what kit it would be partnered with and as sound quality is subjective then you might get many different opinions.

I had a 93eu for over a year and used it all the time for music, in all honesty with High-Res music such as SACD or high res flacs and WAV's I found it to be pretty capable... with Standard CD I thought it was a bit flat but I used an external DAC with it for that in got a really good performance.

I was trying to streamline and have less boxes though so I sold it an bought a Nuforce Extreme version of the 93 (the only difference being the analogue audio) and I am pretty happy with that all round and so even sold my DAC as standard CD now sounds pretty good too, as a one box solution like that it does a good job of most things imho, If I spent ££££'s on a dedicated CD player I am certain it would be better but thats not the point though?

But maybe the main thing is the 93 and the 95 models are about to be replaced with the 103 and 105 models, the details of the models are already on Oppo's websites and at least the 103 is due to start shipping fairly soon:

OPPO BDP-103 Blu-ray Disc Player

BDP-103EU | OPPO BD UK

PS if you are using HDMI to connect to an AV receiver then it is the receiver that is doing all the decoding too, not the Oppo.

Thanks was just curious if good sound could be had =)

When connected via HDMI then you can configure the player to either bitstream raw formats for attached devices to decode or you can configure the player to decode them and output the audio as PCM. Using HDMI in itself doesn't dictate which device can/will do the decoding. ;)

If output is via analogue audio outputs then there is no option other than to have the amp decode the audio and convert it from digital to an analogue signal prior to output.

Guys,
The Antec cooler mentioned earlier in this thread has just dropped to £ 44.87 at Amazon - lowest it's ever been, according to CamelCamel's price watch.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom