Looking for a Region A blu-ray player

Krank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi peeps. Looking for a Region A blu-ray player as I'm fed up of going to my mates to watch 'A' locked titles (and I think he is too :D). I'm not fussed about network or DVD playback as I have my LG BD390 for that. All I need is it to connect to my Onkyo 805 and be profile 2.0 and have a quick load up time. I've put a 'wanted' thread up in the classifieds but not sure what I'm after, don't want to pay more than £100.

Any suggestions of player or where to get one from. Cheers

Buy a Region B Philips BDP3000. It can be easily converted to Region A with a firmware update. Philips BDP2500 can be also converted to Region A, but it is missing the ethernet port.

Cheers for that. Where would I get the firmware?

http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/b/bdp3000_55/bdp3000_55_fus_eng.zip
This is a firmware for BDP3000/55, which is sold in Latin America. To flash it to a European BDP3000 you'll need to rename both .bin files:
BDP300055-FUS-1015355.bin to BDP300012-FUS-1015355.bin
BDP300055-FWF-1015355.bin to BDP300012-FWF-1015355.bin

Btw this method does NOT work on newer Philips models (BDP3100, etc).

Last edited:
Much appreciated. Off to try and find a bargain now :D

So does this actually work??
Interested in doing this :thumbsup:

Nicee :thumbsup:
Does it matter if they are region B to start with?
Jack

I don't know...try ebay. I don't think BDP3000/2500 are still manufactured, so it may be a bit hard to find in stores.

Can't find many about so looks like ebay or classifieds for one. Looks like Asda shifted their stock at £50 a pop. I'll let you know if I find one, if you could do likewise ...and no fighting in the classifieds :D

Just want to thank marlboro_man again. I picked up a cheap BDP3000 and the upgrade works a treat. Tried it out with a Criterion blu-ray and all's well. Cheers mate :smashin:

Excellent :) Pretty nice setup actually if you want all disc playback and one remote -have 2 machines. Region A and Region B.

Argos eBay have these back in stock http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360329200987

I seen the 2500 last week instore somewehre too for £57. It was either HMV (likely) or B&Q. Maybe somewhere else. I'm going shopping today so will try and trace my steps.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Excellent :) Pretty nice setup actually if you want all disc playback and one remote -have 2 machines. Region A and Region B.

Argos eBay have these back in stock PHILIPS BDP2500/05 BLU-RAY PLAYER NEW on eBay (end time 16-Jan-11 13:01:18 GMT)

I seen the 2500 last week instore somewehre too for £57. It was either HMV (likely) or B&Q. Maybe somewhere else. I'm going shopping today so will try and trace my steps.

asda maybe this is the 2700 model though don't know if it can be hacked in the same way.

HotUKDeals - Philips Blu Ray BDP2700/05 - £57 (£62 delivered) from Asda Direct (in stock online) - Expired

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Does anyone know please if this can bitstream the HD audio's, and if it's 2.0 for BD Live etc? Thanks in advance.

Hi peeps. Looking for a Region A blu-ray player as I'm fed up of going to my mates to watch 'A' locked titles (and I think he is too :D). I'm not fussed about network or DVD playback as I have my LG BD390 for that. All I need is it to connect to my Onkyo 805 and be profile 2.0 and have a quick load up time. I've put a 'wanted' thread up in the classifieds but not sure what I'm after, don't want to pay more than £100.

Any suggestions of player or where to get one from. Cheers

I was crazy with all this Region locking, so I bought Region A player through ebay. It was 15 months ago and player is still working great.

btw, it is Sony S360. If you live in EU don't forget to purchase 220V/110V adapter.

I was crazy with all this Region locking, so I bought Region A player through ebay. It was 15 months ago and player is still working great.

btw, it is Sony S360. If you live in EU don't forget to purchase 220V/110V adapter.

I've been using my F&H for strictly Region A material but I'm looking for something a bit smoother. I have 2 Region As coming and will keep the best one. One is very old Sony BDP-S1 but it's new in the box (almost blushed at the price) and it had a firmware upgrade late October and it's 240v. It's Sony first Blu-ray baby and they're still looking after her. Yes, is not got all the crap new Sony's have but I'm not wanting that. I also have a new Sony coming just in case :p

Does anyone know please if this can bitstream the HD audio's, and if it's 2.0 for BD Live etc? Thanks in advance.

I believe for BD Live you'll need an ethernet so it's the 3000 model you need. 10s of them on eBay. As for you audio question Google the model number you want because there's dozens of very detail reviews eg http://www.techradar.com/reviews/au.../philips-bdp3000-blu-ray-player-633303/review

Mind this thread's really about people wanting access to Region A material in a simple way (ie quick firmware flash and no 110v adapter etc). If that's not what you're after there's plenty of other stuff you can look at.

The 2500/3000 are very solid machines and they do get good reviews. I reckon the Oppo is a very close cousin of the Philips because both do subtitle shift. Philips make Marantz kit (or they did) and other fancy rebranded stuff so I'd not be surprised to hear they're knocking out bits and pieces for Oppo.

Google.

Homer, where did you buy your player?
Thanks
Jack

Nice, going to keep a look out there!

I have a region A player (PS3 from Japan) because I usually get my discs directly from the US. But I still want to play region B discs so I ordered a modified Sony S770 from www.stegen.com

They offer various models so it might be worth checking out. My 770 will arrive on monday. :clap:

Thanks for the tip about Philips BDP3000, now I have region A player for 80 euro with BD Live.:smashin:

Hi, I can get my hands on a bdp2500 and understand this can also be hacked anybody know how and have the link for firmware?

Thankyou

Updated a BDP2500 earlier today - worked a treat!

Last edited:
Just wondering if can use this hack even though player is now region A for bluray?

1) With no disc in drive, bring the player out of standby.
2) press number keys "1389310"

Anybody tried it, perhaps marlboro_man?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom