Toshiba BDX3200, regionfree DVD and multiregion BD

Viking61

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Thanks to n3wk1d we can now welcome Toshiba BDX3200 in the family of fully regionfree Toshiba blu-ray players. You can make Toshiba BDX3200KB (British model) or BDX3200KE (European model) regionfree for DVD and multiregion for Blu-Ray by installing the regionfree firmware for the BDX3200KY (Australian model).

Download links for Toshiba BDX3200 regionfree firmware

The regionfree firmware can either be downloaded as an iso-file (BDX3200KY_RF.iso), and used with a program like ImgBurn (www.imgburn.com) to write the image file to a CD. Start ImgBurn and select 'Write imagefile to disc'. Put the CD in the player and the upgrade will start in a short time.

or

You can download the firmware file (BDX3200_APP.bin) itself and copy it to a USB-stick in a folder called UPG_ALL. Put the USB-stick in the player and go to Upgrade in the Setup Menu. Select upgrade from USB.

Edit 05.04.2014
New link to Toshiba firmware files:

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=6948f2460bdd190c#cid=6948F2460BDD190C&id=6948F2460BDD190C!611

The only language in the firmware is english. If that is a problem for any non-english speakers, then you better not install it.

Procedure for changing regions (after installing the regionfree firmware)
1. Power on the blu-ray player.
2. Press "Setup" on the remote to enter Setup Menu.
3. Using the remote, enter "8520". A new submenu will appear.
4. Set DVD region code to "0" for DVD Multi Region.
5. Set BD region code as required using the remote buttons.
"1" = Region A, "2" = Region B, "4" = Region C
6. Press "Setup" button to exit the menu.

It would be nice if someone could try it, and report back how it goes. Also check which firmware version the player reports after installing it.

Attachments

• BDX3200RF.jpg
    BDX3200RF.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 6,874
Last edited:
269 views so far and no feedbacks ???

Didn't anyone try this regionfree firmware?

I tried the USB method today and failed. However the 8520 submenu does work. Am not sure if it is a permanent method or temporary

Did you make a folder called UPG_ALL and put the BDX3200_APP.bin file in there? Which error message did you get?

From Toshiba upgrade instructions:
Firmware upgrade requires USB Drive of max 2GB size. Please make sure to format the card with
FAT/FAT32 format before starting with the upgrade procedure.

Last edited:
Hi Viking,

Thanks for the reply. I had the folder UPG_ALL and the card is also formatted in FAT 32. The system did take the upgrade and the message showed that the upgrade is complete and it took a reboot as well. However, the DVD region lock hasn't gone. I put in my fav "iRobot DVD" and it still says that its wrong region code. Then i went into 8520 submenu and reset the region for DVD's. Will this method also work for Blu-ray discs??

The firmware version after the upgrade showed as below:
BDP v25
MAC: E8-9D-87-80-F1-1F

Hi Viking,

Thanks for the reply. I had the folder UPG_ALL and the card is also formatted in FAT 32. The system did take the upgrade and the message showed that the upgrade is complete and it took a reboot as well. However, the DVD region lock hasn't gone. I put in my fav "iRobot DVD" and it still says that its wrong region code. Then i went into 8520 submenu and reset the region for DVD's. Will this method also work for Blu-ray discs??

Sounds like the procedure went as it should. :)

Go into the 8520 menu and set DVD region to 0 for regionfree DVD. In the same menu you set the blu-ray region of your choice. It will stay on this blu-ray region until you go the same place and change it.

Hi Viking,

Thank you for the quick reply. I guess the BD code in the same menu refers to Blu-ray! Correct me if I am wrong. If that is the case, then I had already altered that as well for India (Region C). Thanks for all your help.

Regards
Gopi Krishna

Yes, that's correct. BD code is the blu-ray code. 1 = region A, 2 = region B and 4 = region C according to the instructions.

Just done this, don't have anything region 1/A to test on it at the moment but seems to have worked so thanks very much OP!

Hi I can see that my 3200 is prompting mee to update to a new firmware,is it safe to do so and will it remain region free on both blu-ray and dvd ?

Does it say which firmware version it wants to update to? The latest downloadable firmware on the Toshiba website is version 25, which is the same as the region free one. I suspect you might lose the region free if you upgrade. I wouldn't do it if you don't have any problems with the current firmware.

My bad, was not the Toshiba prompting me to update, it was my TV, all those gadgets wanting to update all the time, gets kind of confusing from time to time, sorry :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Works a treat many thanks, upgraded using a 4gb memory stick.

Just need a region free hack for my BDX1100 now :)

Thanks Viking61 for sharing this info, used and working :) i think as i have no other region disks.

Just a quickie to say that Crampton & Moore are selling this player for £70, and Amazon for about £75......

Rather tempted, even though I won't be using the 3D just yet!

Useful info with regards the region-free mod!

Thanx for great info, guys!

I'm goin buy Toshiba bluray player (British model) and i wanna to know, they support mkv files? toshibas australian site tells that they do, but no info on british site about it.

thanx.

Last edited:
As your player essential will be an australian model after installing the regionfree firmware, I am pretty sure it will support mkv files if it says so on Toshiba's australian site.

For those having problems trying to update the firmware to region free, there is a guy selling region free CD's for all the Toshiba Blu ray players on ebay and he also includes instructions!

after receiving my 3200, i installed regionfree firmware and it works very well. it plays mkv files too (i forgot check mkv before updating firmware, so i'm not shure about supporting mkv with original british firmware).

thanks, guys!

Hello all. Thinking of picking one of these up and have a bit of a hypothetical question.

Won't lie, want to get as need a region free 3d player. If/when there have been firmware updates for the player, can you still upgrade the firmware and then reflash the player with the Australian firmware to make it region free?

(also just to check as I can't find a user thread for this player, it does bitsteam HD audio doesn't it?)

Thank you in advance to anyone reading this. Cheers.

Hello all. Thinking of picking one of these up and have a bit of a hypothetical question.

Won't lie, want to get as need a region free 3d player. If/when there have been firmware updates for the player, can you still upgrade the firmware and then reflash the player with the Australian firmware to make it region free?

(also just to check as I can't find a user thread for this player, it does bitsteam HD audio doesn't it?)

I think tosh's do bitstream (don't own this one), but no you can't upgrade and reflash. Its the aussie f/w that is free, and its a certain f/w revision, but assuming tosh update that (and we can get it) then we should be ok for updates.

BTW what 3D films are locked that you want? Apart from locked US releases of gulliver (rubbish) and Rio (released in UK too), I think rest have been free.

I think tosh's do bitstream (don't own this one), but no you can't upgrade and reflash. Its the aussie f/w that is free, and its a certain f/w revision, but assuming tosh update that (and we can get it) then we should be ok for updates.

BTW what 3D films are locked that you want? Apart from locked US releases of gulliver (rubbish) and Rio (released in UK too), I think rest have been free.

Thanks very much Roj. I'm presuming they must bitstream, the specs seem to suggest they do just not many reviews of this player out there.

Makes sense on the firmware. Seems the whole firmware thing is slowing down for a lot of players, thinks the kinks apart from the occasional disc have been ironed out so presuming safe to get the latest firmware and then put the region free on. Or at least I'll soon find out!

Regards 3D, yeah, maybe should have been more specific there. Not so much the 3D region locking that concerns me but just being able to have one player that does the lot so to speak. Have the Technika at the moment and it's a cracking piece of kit but just so darn ugly so seeing I can "upgrade" to region free, and 3D is a tad tempting.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom