Technika BRSS10 Bluray Player Hack for DVD & Bluray

Just like to say thanks for this. Got one today and it works perfectly. :thumbsup:

Whats this player actually like ? Lets say compared to a PS3 ? as thats what i use at the moment but wanna give it some breathing space lol

Whats this player actually like ? Lets say compared to a PS3 ? as thats what i use at the moment but wanna give it some breathing space lol

I personally rate it very highly.

I tend to use my PS3 for Region B discs, and use the Technika for Region A. I find the playback to be excellent, colours are good, it's fast, and the sound output is excellent - it can bitstream both DTS-HD MA and TrueHD - so in my opinion at this price it's a bit of a no-brainer.

Thanx for the reply mate really appreciated :)
Whathifi says , There's a warmish hue to the colours; sound is somewhat flat, is this the case ? i want to give my ps3 a break but seeing as i already have a bluray player, i dont really wanna splash out and just want a cheapy and plus this has a huge bonus of being made MR.

Honestly I actually noticed the sound myself not being as great as my ps3's sound.
Although my tv has dodgy speakers anyway. :D

Thanx for the reply mate really appreciated :)
Whathifi says , There's a warmish hue to the colours; sound is somewhat flat, is this the case ? i want to give my ps3 a break but seeing as i already have a bluray player, i dont really wanna splash out and just want a cheapy and plus this has a huge bonus of being made MR.

To be honest, I've never heard the sound out of the speakers of my TV using this player but it sounds great coming out of my Tannoy's. Looking at your kit list, you won't be relying on the TV speakers either.

To be honest at the end of the day, it's about cost. I have bought this as a stop gap whilst I save up for an Oppo 93, and I am more than happy with this in the meantime. If you can afford to spend more, perhaps it's better just to spend more but if you want a multi region player that can bitstream HD audio out of the box for less than £50 you get this or you get... well nothing else actually.

That review is rubbish or they had a old player. There is no difference in PQ or AQ between my Sony S350 or Sony S360 and this player.

just been in to my local tesco store and it says discontinued :(
best try to get one online.

just got one online from tesco, for £45 including an hdmi cable, and cash back too! bargain thanks!

just got one online from tesco, for £45 including an hdmi cable, and cash back too! bargain thanks!

its not a bad little player for the money. got mine on friday, hacked within minutes. tried and tested with never say never again, and now got unfaithful on order. every little helps.

Thanks again Spyro. I've used the usb to watch a divx film I put on a fat 32 formated pendrive. It wouldn't work with 2 fat 32 formated portable hard disc's I have full of divx's. So I guess that bigger pendrives may not work also.

The manual says it takes USB drives of 2-8 GB
I've used an 8GB Pendrive OK but I'd think this limitation would apply to external USB drives. Have you tried an 8GB partition on your USB drive? (or multiple partitions maybe...?)

BTW, you must have a pendrive plugged in to get BD live to work. Without it, the unit prompts with a 'confirm your internet connection' pop up and rolls back to the BD live menu selection. This is because the unit would seem to have no on-board memory for downloads.

HTH

Andy

I had a problem with this player last night watching the Ninth Gate on dvd. It didn't freeze , it was almost like a lagging as if I was streaming it and the picture went all fuzzy. Fingers crossed it was a one off.

Mine has been excellent so far (used with a projector). But, tried 'Tangled' yesterday, just sits 'loading' & won't play, any ideas, firmware update maybe?

Mine has been excellent so far (used with a projector). But, tried 'Tangled' yesterday, just sits 'loading' & won't play, any ideas, firmware update maybe?

Connect a ethernet cable to it and see if it detects one. I won't be doing it until I know the MR hack is kept after a update.

Bought one of these from Tesco for my in-laws. Running it with a Sony 40" 503.
Found a multi region hack for both DVD & Bluray to make it truly universal.

Switch on
open tray
press "set-up" on remote
enter 9113

An additional configure menu will come up on the left hand side of the screen that allows you to change the dvd region to any or region free. Below that it lets you set the Bluray region to A, B or C.

To be honest for £50 it's a cracking little machine and as the in-laws travel between here and Canada it means they can watch any films they have collected on their travels!

MR for Blu-ray at last! Nice one!

Cheer's, worked for me. I have played blu's on it before and it still worked. I will just change it everytime I watch a US blu-ray :)

Hello all,

Can anyone comment on the quality of the DVD upscaling?
I'm currently using a Samsung F1080 and that seems pretty good, wondered how the two compared.

Most of the discs to be played will DVDs to start with, at least till I get some other Blu-rays :)

Thanks
Ben
---

It's fine for upscaling but it will be hard to get one now due to being discontinued a while ago.

Thanks for the info, I might be lucky as the local Tesco here had a few left!
I know where I'll be going this evening :)

Thanks again

The manual says it takes USB drives of 2-8 GB
I've used an 8GB Pendrive OK but I'd think this limitation would apply to external USB drives. Have you tried an 8GB partition on your USB drive? (or multiple partitions maybe...?)

Andy

For people who are wondering; It also works with a usb hard disk attached as long as it's formatted fat 32 file system. I'm using a 500GB samsung to playback .mp4 and .mkv files. Works great.

Hey all, I have been reading this thread and while i have owned this blu ray player since christmas i am hoping you will be able to help me with answers. I too have tangled for my daughter on blu-ray and i am unable to play it. Just hangs on loading. After looking into this im guessing i need to update the player. tried doing it through the network settings and uodate, but it said update failed and to try again later. Anyone know if a manual update can be done for this player?
Thanks

Hey all, I have been reading this thread and while i have owned this blu ray player since christmas i am hoping you will be able to help me with answers. I too have tangled for my daughter on blu-ray and i am unable to play it. Just hangs on loading. After looking into this im guessing i need to update the player. tried doing it through the network settings and uodate, but it said update failed and to try again later. Anyone know if a manual update can be done for this player?
Thanks

Same problem - well, not quite the same. My unit switches on subtitles whenever you resume playback on DVDs (rather than Blu-rays). Multiple calls to Tesco tech support later and they still seem unable to tell me whether there is or isn't a firmware update available and whether this fault is or isn't specific to my machine (anyone else encountered it??) Anyway, whenever I attempt the network update option, I get the same update failed error. Perhaps we need a certain size of USB disk? And I'd certainly be interested to know whether there is a manual update option....

What happens if you just connect a ethernet cable and do a network update check? A USB stick shouldn't be needed for a firmware upgrade.

Sadly it is needed. The player has no onboard memory so the network update option does not even appear without a memory stick inserted

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom