Arcam AVR250 Fault

SoundsAllwhite

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have just paid £300 for a repair from Arcam. Fault appeared to a frequent one aired by others - no sound on digital - which started out as an intermittent problem which deteriorated over a few months. I thought a new DSP board would be worth it for another few years of use. In less than a week started to get the same old fault - digital sound cutting out - and by 10 days no digital sound at all. Have others had positive experience getting a permanent solution to this problem? I'm really worried I have wasted my time and money.

Should I cut my losses and buy something new?

Surely you repair came with a guarantee. If it has failed within the first couple of weeks then you have a case to go back to Arcam as they have not fully repaired the amp.

Thanks for those reassuring words. I'm afraid I have the dealer's words ringing in my ears 'of course if a different fault is identified the warranty for the repair won't apply'. I didn't get an engineers report advising what they fixed first time, despite a request for one! I was told verbally it had a new board.

The dealer was of course trying to sell me a new amplifier - and Arcam were offering £500 off to trade up to a new one - but I was not in the market to pay £1000 for a new amp.

Amp is boxed to go back for a further repair - hopefully a free one.

If they did not supply an engineers report even though you requested one then they cannot prove this current fault is not the same as the first or that they did not fix the original fault. The onus is on them to prove it, not you. If they start arguing about it say you are going to have a chat with Trading Standards about their conduct and your legal position, usually works wonders.

Arcam did take the amp back for a further FREE repair - and within another week I had the same fault - no digital sound. So - 3rd repair lucky they worked on it again - and I am happy to report that after 4 - yes FOUR weeks - all seems to be working as it should.

All credit to Arcam - no quibble about taking it back - and only fair to mention some excellent customer service from Rayleigh HiFi our original supplier - who arranged to pick it up and deliver it back to our house on the two extra repairs as we had been inconvenienced.

I will try and remember to post again in a few months - to give ongoing feedback so that other people may benefit from my experience. I found searching these forums extremely useful when I first started getting problems.

Arcam AVR-280 prob:
I have just experienced all my AVR-280s digital inputs failing. Sounds similar to your problem. Is your AVR still OK?

Did Arcam say anything about why your problem occurred and what they did to fix it?
Maybe something about the DSP card voltage supply being too high?

thanks

An update to my last post. My Arcam AVR250 is still working - with no problems since it came back from it's last repair. I know it was the DSP board they were replacing - they did not explain why they kept failing, but somebody more senior took responsibility for sorting it - and I guess did more than just replace the board but got to the source of the failures. No details I'm afraid - but a happy ending.

An update to my last post. My Arcam AVR250 is still working - with no problems since it came back from it's last repair. I know it was the DSP board they were replacing - they did not explain why they kept failing, but somebody more senior took responsibility for sorting it - and I guess did more than just replace the board but got to the source of the failures. No details I'm afraid - but a happy ending.
Thanks for that!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom