Yamaha RX- V667 owners thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitehart

Prominent Member
Reaction score
not seen one for this amp so I thought I'll do the honours, well pleased with the amp so far

anyone had any major issues?

Got mine 3 weeks ago,
A couple of times i couldn't turn it on at the on/off on the amp or remote.
I unplugged and plugged back in and it worked,
this happened twice soon after I bought it but been ok since (fingers crossed)

Did you know it has standby pass through?
Alot of peeps have been asking about this on other amps.

auditioned one this morning against the Pioneer 920 and Denon 1911.

Thought the Yamaha was good., nice involving sound, good movie performance and good with stereo music, Pioneer had better steering for movies and similarly good stereo performance but was somehow flat and uninvolving, The Denon was best for films but the stereo performance was bloody terrible. I suspect I'll be buying the Yamaha in acouple of weeks so am interested in the posts on this thread

the standby passthrough caught me out I had to take a look on teh on screen setup to find it. its not setup by default - not a disaster but the manual with it is somewhat lacking I think - still I'm well happy with the amp so far

Can we make it the x67 owners thread? I have a 767 i'llmbe picking up on Monday and I expect settings etc are similar across the range?

Can we make it the x67 owners thread? I have a 767 i'llmbe picking up on Monday and I expect settings etc are similar across the range?

Don't see why not tbh I dont think theres much difference at all 5 amps overall and a 2nd hdmi output makes it very close

Hi I am new to these forums but would really like some advice. I have just read the what hifi october issue amp test and really would like to purchase the yamaha rx-v667. The question I have is will it pair well with Kef 2005.3's , I already own the speakers. I used to have the onkyo 607 but want to make the upgrade to 3D. Any advice would be appreciated before I spend my hard earned cash.
Cheers

Hi I am new to these forums but would really like some advice. I have just read the what hifi october issue amp test and really would like to purchase the yamaha rx-v667. The question I have is will it pair well with Kef 2005.3's , I already own the speakers. I used to have the onkyo 607 but want to make the upgrade to 3D. Any advice would be appreciated before I spend my hard earned cash.
Cheers

There's no reason why you can't use the KEF speakers with the amp and the neutral, although slightly more bias toward the top end, speakers shouldn't be a problem.

KEF's and B&W's IMO are a good match.

On the HDMI inputs at the rear, it has BD/DVD marked at the HDMI 1 input,
Why?

On the HDMI inputs at the rear, it has BD/DVD marked at the HDMI 1 input,
Why?

One would assume because that input corresponds to the source button marked as BD/DVD on the remote? By labelling the corresponding default inputs it makes life a lot easier when it comes to wiring the whole thing up ;)

One would assume because that input corresponds to the source button marked as BD/DVD on the remote? By labelling the corresponding default inputs it makes life a lot easier when it comes to wiring the whole thing up ;)

This is correct there are 4 buttons BD/DVD, TV, CD and Radio

Any tips for setting up? Does the auto mic setup take ages and/or get very loud? And is there a benefit to the multiple position calibration? We have a corner sofa so in theory some people could be fairly off to the right, but hardly ever, so is it necessary? Does it have value in improving the general sound stage?

But isn't that a scene button? So might not even be switching to that HDMI input after you've messed about with it. And there are separate numbered HDMI buttons on the remote.

Receivers have always done this and i've found it annoying. Just give me numbered inputs and i'll work it out thanks. On my current denon, I renamed some inputs and it got very confusing. My title was PS3, but in the setup menu it still showed up as DVD. And I had an actual DVD input but that was the amps CD input :suicide:

Any tips for setting up? Does the auto mic setup take ages and/or get very loud? And is there a benefit to the multiple position calibration? We have a corner sofa so in theory some people could be fairly off to the right, but hardly ever, so is it necessary? Does it have value in improving the general sound stage?
When setting up with the mic for our sofa, it seemed very quick, certainly <5 minutes. Result appears fine, when listening to SACD, and watching Sky HD movies sound stage seemed pretty good to me! Didn't do the multi-position option, went with the mic on a camera tripod positioned midway between the ears of the two people usually sitting on the sofa! :D

cheers.

I thought I was being careful, marking up which speaker wires were which and which inputs etc from my old amp. Just about to hook up my 767 and realised I hadn't marked +/- on the speakers! Is there a simple way to work out which way round they go? I've had a look at the speaker end and there doesn't seem to be any markings on them to help

cheers.

I thought I was being careful, marking up which speaker wires were which and which inputs etc from my old amp. Just about to hook up my 767 and realised I hadn't marked +/- on the speakers! Is there a simple way to work out which way round they go? I've had a look at the speaker end and there doesn't seem to be any markings on them to help

Have a feel around the insulation. Some wires have a slight ridge on one of the insulation sheaves to help distinguish it from the other.

Hi, Could someone confirm for me that the standby passthrough is switchable between inputs when the amp is in standby. I seek the nirvana of 1 hdmi running to the TV, but don't want the amp on constantly, so if this works then that would be cool.

Thanks

DC

It should, yes - it was a major factor in my choosing it. I'll test as soon as possible if nobody else has commented yet. Seems only switchable from the remote though

Hi, Could someone confirm for me that the standby passthrough is switchable between inputs when the amp is in standby. I seek the nirvana of 1 hdmi running to the TV, but don't want the amp on constantly, so if this works then that would be cool.

Thanks

DC

As far as I know the it will pass through the last input you have used
So if you want to watch sky,
without the amp on make, sure sky was the input you had on before turning amp off
Is that clear peeps.. as I'm usless at explaining things.

As far as I know the it will pass through the last input you have used
So if you want to watch sky,
without the amp on make, sure sky was the input you had on before turning amp off
Is that clear peeps.. as I'm usless at explaining things.

Seems feasible for just the last input used, as I wouldn't think the input can be changed whilst the Receiver is in standby.

The HDMI throughput in standby is only applicable to the last HDMI input source selected. You cannot switch HDMI source inputs while the amp is in standby. Also note that HDMI control must be switched off when HDMI Through is engaged or it will not work, the amp indicates when HDMI Through is active via a red indicator on the front display while the amp is in standby.

The HDMI Through setting itself is in the Function --> HDMI settings of the amp.

Last edited:
thanks dante01, that seemed to do the trick, tiny ridge on one strand of the cable :smashin:

:confused:Thinking about getting the RXV 667, does anyone know if the zone 2 output can be linked to a 5 way speaker switch to distribute around house?

:confused:Thinking about getting the RXV 667, does anyone know if the zone 2 output can be linked to a 5 way speaker switch to distribute around house?

There's no reason why you can't do this so long as you ensure the switch complies with the amp'a speaker impedance load handling abilities and you don't want all 5 sets of speakers to be powered at the same time.

The same provisos would be applicable to any amp you intend to do this with and not just the Yamaha RXV667.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom