Arcam Avr300 Volume

Thinkdifferent

Standard Member
Reaction score
Dear All,

Greetings, This is first post in here, I have recently got the Arcam AVR-300 and was able to connect yesterday. I popped in the CD from a Nad CD player and I have increased the volume slowly but I could not hear anything until the volume hits 50db, is this correct....??? after 50db if I increase then I can feel that the volume is increasing, I'm using B&W 602 S3 in Front and hooked up the CD Players with the analogue connection, via VDH cable.

Thank you all in advance.
:(

If it's the same from both analogue and digital then I suspect this is normal.. The bottom half of the volume control on the AVR300 does very little with normal ( 2V peak ) sources. I used to run mine at around 75-80dB.

hmmm, Something might be up me thinks. My CD73 is good enough at 40db, any louder and I would get a savaging by the dearly beloved. At 50db the room is shaking. I can even hear it clearly but quietly enough at 10-20db's. Might be something to do with the lovely 22L floorstanders, but I'm no expert and i'm sure the 'techies' will sort this one out...;)

As stated, for some resaon the AVR300 is designed to produce almost no sound when set below 40-50, so there is nothing wrong with yours. There is even an old post by Arcam's Andy Dutton which you can search for I think

Proux, I understand you are much more experienced on here than I, but that is not entirely true whatever anyone says. I can easily hear the music at 15-20db albeit very quietly and it picks up nicely to 40db and anything beyond 50db is very loud. This is also with normal set up and NO bi-amping to the fronts. Honest Gov' !

Roody I am sure you can, not trying to be patronising- hope i didnt sound it. Perhaps your CD analog outputs are set to higher level than usual?

Not that it matters, just dont want the original poster unnecessarily worried!

I am watching telly now and BBC2 via optical out of my V+ box is at 59db on my AVR250, normal listening level.

I don't think there is any issue. To the OP - is the system too quiet if you turn it all the way up? If not then nothing to worry about.This has come up plenty of times before, here is one thread about it

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304836&highlight=avr300+volume+db

and search results for "AVR300 volume" :)

http://www.avforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=11886415

Cheers

No Proux you are Ok mate! You were not patronising at all! I also don't want to worry original OP, it's just my way of saying things! I was trying to iron out any issues with maybe setup or configuration by comparing different scenarios and systems. If my system is loud at 50db why isn't the OP's? My set-up has been the same since original installation of Avr300 and is set-up on it's default configuration and hasn't been altered or enhanced in any way. It stays the same for SKY, DVD & CD. These are my optimum level and high level before I get shouted out by the strife! :- SKY 53-58db, CD 40-45db and DVD 55-60db. I have been so comfortable and happy with these levels that it just raises (my) eyebrows that the OP cannot hear nothing until 50db. If the Avr300 is outputting 49 decibels, why can't we hear anything? Isn't that power wasted? I just find it more reassuring that an Amp can power and produce higher sound at lower levels. The 2nd poster's happiness is at 75-80, crikey if i did that it would be like Glastonbury in here! My neighbours would go to war! I think I'll just educate myself and read Jaunty's links.

Jaunty, congratulations on making me smile with your spelling mistake on the word 'results'. I've corrected it however:D

Dan.

Thought I'd snuck it past you... :D

Thanks

Oops- should probably read that the AVR300 analog inputs may be set to be more sensitive, rather than the CD output set higher!:suicide:

I am watching telly now and BBC2 via optical out of my V+ box is at 59db on my AVR250, normal listening level.

I don't think there is any issue. To the OP - is the system too quiet if you turn it all the way up? If not then nothing to worry about.This has come up plenty of times before, here is one thread about it

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304836&highlight=avr300+volume+db

and search results for "AVR300 volume" :)

http://www.avforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=11886415

Cheers

first off I must say that this forum rocks, many people in here are helpful, Thx for all you quick responses. you all have relived me :D. thx Jaunty, for the threads. as you said I have tested patiently by getting my ears close to the speakers. and now I can hear very low music increment as I start increasing the volume, from 3db onwards. and it starts sounding good as the volume hits 64db.

I have one more question to you all though.
I have connected 'Qed Silver Anniversary speaker cables' which has banana airlock connectors, before they used to get connected to my Nad firmly, but to my new 300, it is loose, (meaning I can easily remove and insert the speaker cable banana connectors with very little effort) I have checked in the manual they did not mention anything about the banana connectors, they only specified about the spade connectors and the bare wires., can I not use the banana connectors. with this unit anymore...???

Thx in advance for al your responses.

can I not use the banana connectors. with this unit anymore...???

Hi TD,
The connectors on the back of the Diva AVR series are slightly wider than the QED AIrlocs etc and usual 4mm banana plugs. I use Airlocs with mine, but to get a decent fit, you will need to gently slid a flatbladed screwdriver into the slits on the airloc connector and turn your screwdriver gently and it will maake those pin slightly wider and make a tighter fit with the av receiver.

Here's a big pic of an airloc. We're talking about the slit-like gaps on the bottom right of the pic that run down the length of the pin. Only a small adjustment is needed.

Hope that helps.

Dan.

Hi TD,
The connectors on the back of the Diva AVR series are slightly wider than the QED AIrlocs etc and usual 4mm banana plugs. I use Airlocs with mine, but to get a decent fit, you will need to gently slid a flatbladed screwdriver into the slits on the airloc connector and turn your screwdriver gently and it will maake those pin slightly wider and make a tighter fit with the av receiver.

Here's a big pic of an airloc. We're talking about the slit-like gaps on the bottom right of the pic that run down the length of the pin. Only a small adjustment is needed.

Hope that helps.

Dan.

Great :clap: thx for the Pic. will do that
Bye and God Bless.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom