Arcam A80 volume knob problem

t-roten

Established Member
Reaction score
The volume knob on my A80 sometimes stops responding altogether. The volume can still be adjusted via the remote control. I can leave it on for some time and it will suddenly start responding again for then later to stop once more.

I have had it checked by my local dealer, who has been very helpful but unable to replicate the problem. I took the A80 there this morning, and it was working fine. As soon as I got it home and plugged it in, the problem re-occored.

Anyone else experienced this?

Any suggestions how I can fix this?

TR

Hi t-roten:

To answer both your questions; no, it is not a common problem, although it can happen on the odd occasion. It could happen on any product that uses a rotary encoder and it is not peculiar to the Arcam product. It sounds like the rotary encoder is not working properly; this should be an easy job for any competent technician to fix. Find a dealer that has a properly furnished service workshop on site and they should be able to fix it in no time at all.

Hope this helps

LPSpinner

Hi LPspinner.

Thank you for your suggestion to what can be causing this.Will take your feedback with to my local dealer again.

The strange thing is that when the amplifier is used at the dealer the problem is gone. It works as it should. They did test in their repair setup for some time (problem would have occured if in my setup at home).

Their suggestion was that there might be some electrical "noise" or similar at my place that is causing the problem.

Also, I have an AVR250 with no issue like this. But it might have a completely different curcuit for volume control

TR

Problem solved

The unlikely source of my problem seems to be a broken transformer for the low voltage lights in my kitchen extractor fan! Thank you very much to Graham's Hi-Fi for helping me identify the source of the problem

Anybody else experienced this kind of problem?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom