AirPlay Icon disappears

vmeister82

Standard Member
Reaction score
had a quick search on the forum and couldn't see anyone else had posted this problem...

basically the AirPlay icon on both my 4s and iPad 3rd Gen only intermittently appears. Even though I can use the apple app on both devices to wake ATV3 up and use the GUI the icon to airplay is still often not visible in iOS. To fix this I either have to toggle airplay off/on in ATV3 settings and/or reboot all devices, there is no consistant method for resolving. Its starting to really irritate me - as anyone out there had a similar problem!?!?

I have 3 ATV3's all set with the same AirPlay settings. They always show up under the AirPlay button, even if in standby.

The only time it doesn't show is if I am out of range of my network.

Can you confirm that both devices have a solid WiFi connection at all times.

I've recently had something slightly similar where one of my ATV3's wouldn't see my iTunes media on the server unless I rebooted it, and a couple of iPhones wouldn't see an ATV (although the Airplay icon was showing).
Some of the devices were Wifi and some Ethernet, some static IP, some DHCP.
As you say, it's very irritating.
What I ended up doing that sorted my issues out was changing all devices to DHCP, refreshing DHCP lease times through the Router (BT Home Hub 3) and rebooting the Router, ended up sorting out all Airplay and Home Sharing problems.

So what you're saying is, you had multiple devices with the same IP address at times. That would be exactly why you had sporadic issues.

I wonder if the OP has the same problems?

My setup is as follows:-

VM Super Hub - HomePlug - Edimax AP.

ATV3 is wired to AP and iDevice are wirelessly connected to the AP. DHCP is switched off on the AP as router is acting as a DHCP server, i've just double checked and there is no IP ad conflict. I cant help thinking it is the AP causing the AirPlay issue but theres nothing more frustrating than an intermittant fault!!

basically the AirPlay icon on both my 4s and iPad 3rd Gen only intermittently appears. Even though I can use the apple app on both devices to wake ATV3 up and use the GUI the icon to airplay is still often not visible in iOS. To fix this I either have to toggle airplay off/on in ATV3 settings and/or reboot all devices, there is no consistant method for resolving. Its starting to really irritate me - as anyone out there had a similar problem!?!?
Yes, I've seen that too on my iPad 3. I have tried to use the iPlayer app via Airplay, and it's as if it 'crashes' and the Airplay toggle disappears in iOS. I have tried to fix it by turning the iPad on/off.

You are not alone!

So what you're saying is, you had multiple devices with the same IP address at times.

No, not really, no devices had the same IP address, it was just that some were assigned a static IP, some were DHCP but set to always use the same IP, and some were just set to DHCP to select any available IP.

The problem really became noticeable when the most recent ATV3 update came through, and my main box in the living room, which had a static IP had to be rebooted all the time as it would see the iTunes library, then if you put it too sleep it then couldn't see it, and the wheel would just spin, at that point no iDevices could see the ATV3 in the Airplay section of their screen, after it rebooted all was good, so I pin-pointed it down to a network issue and as mentioned previously basically reset all network devices as DHCP, renewed leases, and rebooted the router, now every Airplay compatible device is seeing each other, so it seems fairly similar to what the OP was experiencing?

I have mine all set to static and my AEBS set to always give the same IP addresses by MAC address too. No issues there for me, even when I did have some DHCP set up devices too, prior to locking them down.

Strange issue you had there without conflicts then.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom