Holding out for the Sony RDR-HXD870

I'm more interested in the smartlink facility, am I right in thinking this will allow me to set recordings using the TV's EPG rather than changing to AV3 and going through the recorders clunky EPG?

I'd be very interested in that mate, give it a go and let us know if it works! My only trouble is I might have a HTSF-1100 in between but thats supposed to be theatre link compatible too. So not sure the smartlink would get passed through. Looking at the D3000 manual I get the impression smartlink is SCART only and not HDMI.. :(

Edit: yes AV2 (scart) is the only Smartlink option. Ah well. I guess I wont be doing that then. Unless I could connect a scart direct between the TV and DVD Recorder purely for Smartlink but not use it for viewing?

Still see there is no online manual for the 870 available yet. :(

Mike

I'm hoping that will work, have the hxd870 on one AV input using hdmi for dvd viewing and have it on another connected via the scart for smartlink. I'll let you know if it works.

p.s. the manual is >160 pages :eek:

Dan
----
I don't think so, mine has no mention anything other than of having 1 x anaglogue & 1 x digital
...neither does the spec (now online ~ www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProduct.act...Type=TechnicalSpecs&category=DVD+Recorder#tab

John Orion
---------
dvdchips are superb, however i suspect these series of models are region free ~ anwyay...I think sony has despensed with them
I've just played my 1st disc, a R1 of The Matrix without incident. The unit was factory-sealed when I received it

Generally
--------
SD source do upscaple to 1080p...though i'm unsure wether the SD is very good..was expecting a little more performance (i'm running it under HDMI)

Also I've connected it via a nvidia 8800GTS when building a Vista\Linux\Solaris system...absolutley withouhgt a hitch, the nvidia( vista 32-bit) picked up 1920x1080 though strangely running it @60Hz (I'm using the latest Smasung Mseries screen, LE40M87BDX)

Sorry, i can't test anything else, don't have the time

I noticed that you think that these series of models are region free, but can anybody out there confirm this? If not, has anybody managed to make their 870 region free yet?

I noticed that you think that these series of models are region free, but can anybody out there confirm this? If not, has anybody managed to make their 870 region free yet?

No, they're not region free by default.

There is a hack available, but you'll need a "One For All" remote to do it:

prepare:
1. select dvd device on remote
2. hold magic button until rabbit comes out
3. enter device code 0533

program buttons 1..5 with the following codes:

(newer remotes use 5 digits)
1 - 189 or 00189
2 - 255 or 00255
3 - 095 or 00095
4 - 221 or 00221
5 - 079 or 00079

1. hold magic button until rabbit comes out
2. press 994
3. press magic
4. enter 3/5 digit code from above
5. press button (1..5) where to program it
6. repeat steps 1 to 5 for all keys.

This hack only works if you change the command mode to "1" on the dvd player FIRST (see user manual). Once hack has been completed, you can change back to command mode "3", if necessary.

have it a go:
1. remove disk, put player on standby
2. press 1,2,3,4,5 - success is displayed and plyer starts up
3. press 1,2,3,4,5 - player shuts down and BINGO!

Mine came with a white label on the box stating "Multi Region" but I have not tried it because I have not got any other region disks.

Is this + button on its own or does it share another purpose ? The only + button under the front panel is the (-) (+) for PROGRAM. Is this the one ?

EDIT - Yes it is and it works. Thanks for the TIP

You should find the TV/DVD button on the remote control swaps between the two sources (I have an RDR-HXD860).

You should find the TV/DVD button on the remote control swaps between the two sources (I have an RDR-HXD860).
No, it doesn't work when recording and you want to see the SCART input (not the TV tuner). You can only use the button on the recorder itself. The Pioneer behaves in the same way.

On paper this looks similiar to the 860. Anyone know what advantages this newer machine has ? I'm not interested in what it can do with music mp3's etc, only as a DVD recording device.

KK Electronics ship 870s with region-free upgrade. I could not confirm that for you as I also have no import DVDs to test with.

KK Electronics ship 870s with region-free upgrade. I could not confirm that for you as I also have no import DVDs to test with.

Mine was from KK Electronics and only just today I played Behind Enemy Lines which I bought from the States 2 years ago - Region 1. So I can confirm the one's form KK are multi region. I was well chuffed :thumbsup:

P.S. cracking action film especially the fighter plane scene being chased by missile's

another alternative to KK Electronics are Digitech Electronics in Hounslow also close to where I live. I believe they have black in stock @ £239?? region 2

Something I 've come across: As I have pointed out earlier in a previous post my 870 is connected by HDMI to AV4. AV4 being the HDMI input on my 40V2500. What I've noticed when I switch my TV on and the 870, the TV doesn't automatically go to the AV4 input for this unit as normally would happen if connected via scart to any of the inputs. I have to press the input selector repeatedly until I get AV4 on the screen. Is this a normal feature of HDMI or am I missing something? As both the TV and 870 are Sony will the Bravia Theatre Sync feature resolve this?? :rolleyes:

Any wisdom and guidance on this: ??

I have a question. Page 148 of operating instructions and under colour sub menu of HDMI output menu on screen, what video signal should I select and if someone could tell me what the differences are.

YCbCr 4:2:2
YCbCr 4:4:4

The Manual states that one outputs at 10 bit and the other at 8 bit, but what does that mean in plain english. which one is better?

My setup is as follows:

connected via Ixos HDMI lead
screen res. set at 1280 x 720p
viewing on Sony 40V2500 (1080i).

By the way I have tried both and seem to favour the latter. It would be nice to know the technical and logical reason behind it.

Trying to find a good price on the Black version and it seems a trade off, places that have them in stock for a decent price don't seem to be multiregion.

Where are people buying the black multiregion versions from?

Thanks,

Mike

Something I 've come across: As I have pointed out earlier in a previous post my 870 is connected by HDMI to AV4. AV4 being the HDMI input on my 40V2500. What I've noticed when I switch my TV on and the 870, the TV doesn't automatically go to the AV4 input for this unit as normally would happen if connected via scart to any of the inputs. I have to press the input selector repeatedly until I get AV4 on the screen. Is this a normal feature of HDMI or am I missing something? As both the TV and 870 are Sony will the Bravia Theatre Sync feature resolve this?? :rolleyes:

As far as I am aware, Scart connections are the only ones that enable or can give a pulse for auto-switching. No problems for me, only SWMBO!

Trying to find a good price on the Black version and it seems a trade off, places that have them in stock for a decent price don't seem to be multiregion.

Where are people buying the black multiregion versions from?

Thanks,

Mike

Try www.rgbdirect.co.uk - I got one from there - £241.85 multiregion in black. You can get free delivery and it will take 7-10 days to arrive or pay £10 and get next day delivery.

Thanks :) will have a look, I could not see a next day delivery option though when I looked before on there.

I got theatre sync to work last night, had to set the HDMI control option to 'ON' on the 870, then on my bravia (32d3000) set HDMI control to 'ON' and it then asks if you want to search for connected HDMI devices, after a few seconds it found the 870 on AV4. Now when i put in a DVD and press play, the TV swithes on and goes to AV4 which is pretty neat. I dont think if your TV is already on it is supposed to switch to AV4 automatically when you turn the 870 on, is that what you were expecting?

I wanted to get Smartlink to work where by I could use the EPG on the TV to set recordings - this will only work with scart, I haven't tried it but having read the manual I'm not sure if i fancy it anyway. From the manual it seems you have to remember to leave the TV on standby so it can send a signal to the 870 at the right time, would have been better if it sent the timing information to the recorder immediately ... I'm happy to just use the EPG on the DVD.

Overall happy with the 870 btw

I got theatre sync to work last night, had to set the HDMI control option to 'ON' on the 870, then on my bravia (32d3000) set HDMI control to 'ON' and it then asks if you want to search for connected HDMI devices, after a few seconds it found the 870 on AV4. Now when i put in a DVD and press play, the TV swithes on and goes to AV4 which is pretty neat.

I assume you have to leave the TV in standby for theatre link too? So not sure what difference that would be for smartlink? :)

My mate got his HXD870 last night and he too is happy with it, been some quite negative posts on here about it to be honest.

One thing which worries me more than clunky EPGs and old menu layouts is if I can play my xvids at the same time as recording Freeview to the HDD. I see from the manual it states:

You cannot play a DVD, DivX video or Video CD recorded in NTSC colour system while recording on the HDD in the PAL colour system

This may cause me a problem because most of my xvids are US ones which I assume are NTSC? :(

Mike

Can mp3s be stored to hard drive in the same way as music cds?
Is the manual available for download anywhere, couldnt find on a google.

Can mp3s be stored to hard drive in the same way as music cds?
Is the manual available for download anywhere, couldnt find on a google.

mp3 -. hd ~ no
sony-europe.com has the manual as PDF

----------------------------------------
stevie (ms.)

It isn't official & I'm sure others will have there suppliers doing mods, howver mine didn't require any modification

Officially they are Region 2 devices

stevie (ms.)

Firmware Check
System Menu -> Inistial Setup -> Options -> Software -> Technical Info

Hardware = 435 : Software = 115

My displaye show UPDATE: it's possible Sony to a over-the-air firmware update last night (21st June)
check yours

stevie (ms.)

the 870 defaults to 1080i

If you have a 1080p capable display, you may want to change this via the System Menu ~ it makes SO much difference!

stevie (ms.)

I assume you have to leave the TV in standby for theatre link too? So not sure what difference that would be for smartlink? :)

Mike

You do yes, but they do different things...

The impact on Theatre Link of not leaving the tv on standby is that you need to get out of your seat to turn the tv on before pressing play on the DVD.

For Smartlink, the impact of not leaving the tv on standby is that the TV wont send the signal to the DVD to record at the time you specified on the TV's EPG :(

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom