LG 50PZ250T versus LG 50PZ550T ...

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
.... can anyone tell me what the difference is , and for £599 do you reckon it is a good buy , over to you :smashin:

My guess - and its only a guess - is that they are identical with the 50PZ550T number being peculiar to DSG - Curry's Dixons and PC World. They, like Comet, change the numbering to confuse customers when comparison sites are used.

My guess - and its only a guess - is that they are identical with the 50PZ550T number being peculiar to DSG - Curry's Dixons and PC World. They, like Comet, change the numbering to confuse customers when comparison sites are used.

seems likely as i can find no difference in the specs anywhere :nono:

seems likely as i can find no difference in the specs anywhere :nono:

The only difference between the two sets is the THX and THX 3D certification (Whatever that means in the real world).

This is an excellent post as I am trying to make the decision to buy either of them.

Though the PZ250 is £60 cheaper than the PZ550. Absolute bargain I say!

I saw the PZ250 the other day but not in 3D mode. The colour looked excellent but there was a lot of bleed when script appeared on the screen. I don't think it would necessarily be a deal breaker for me but it might put some off. The depth of colour looked better than the current Samsung being sold in Comet for £749.

This thread here - http://www.avforums.com/forums/lg-forum/1393621-official-lg-pz550t-plasma-3dtv-thread.html - states that the 550T is exclusive to Dixons, Currys and PC World.

I saw the PZ250 the other day but not in 3D mode. The colour looked excellent but there was a lot of bleed when script appeared on the screen. I don't think it would necessarily be a deal breaker for me but it might put some off. The depth of colour looked better than the current Samsung being sold in Comet for £749.

This thread here - http://www.avforums.com/forums/lg-forum/1393621-official-lg-pz550t-plasma-3dtv-thread.html - states that the 550T is exclusive to Dixons, Currys and PC World.

I actually do believe they are right!

Time to start saving my pennies so i can buy the PZ250 asap.

Even as a 2D TV, for that size is an absolute bargain!

Hi all,

New to AVForums, so firstly a big hello from me! :hiya:

Wanted to say for my budget I spent a lot of time on here reading up on the different televisions and I have to say I've just purchased the LG50PZ250T from Richer Sounds.

Currently breaking in the TV, as I understand that's what you need to do? Turned everything down to around 50%. So at the moment not getting full effect but I'm very happy.

On another note as I had to try it, I played Mortal Kombat in 3D (PS3) and it was great on the TV.

Very happy chap I must say :laugh:

Does anyone know the best picture settings to use for this TV once it's been broken in?

Thanks!

I bought the 50inch PZ550t two weeks ago and it's superb, as regards running in the screen, as long as you watch the brightness level (I've got mine on 45) it'll be OK, these screens are far better in this respect compared to a few years ago

Hi all,

New to AVForums, so firstly a big hello from me! :hiya:

Wanted to say for my budget I spent a lot of time on here reading up on the different televisions and I have to say I've just purchased the LG50PZ250T from Richer Sounds.

Currently breaking in the TV, as I understand that's what you need to do? Turned everything down to around 50%. So at the moment not getting full effect but I'm very happy.

On another note as I had to try it, I played Mortal Kombat in 3D (PS3) and it was great on the TV.

Very happy chap I must say :laugh:

Does anyone know the best picture settings to use for this TV once it's been broken in?

Thanks!

I bought the 50inch PZ550t two weeks ago and it's superb, as regards running in the screen, as long as you watch the brightness level (I've got mine on 45) it'll be OK, these screens are far better in this respect compared to a few years ago

Hello and welcome both of you, the PZ250T has a dedicated forum which can be found by following the link http://www.avforums.com/forums/lg-f...pz250t-plasma-3dtv-thread-2.html#post15378688

lots of other owners over there to help contribute settings for running in this tv and their calibrated results.

Plus, you can also share mini-reviews and act as enablers for people who are yet to buy this TV :smashin:

Hi

I just bought this TV over the weekend, and to be honest I'm not completely happy. I seem to be having the hardest time getting the picture set up correctly. Everything just seems a little soft on SD sources - its hooked up to a Tivo box from Virgin media, and I heard that their SD feeds weren't the best, so maybe thats the reason there. SD pictures from my Blu Ray player look a little soft too - I watch a lot of the classic Doctor Who DVDs and the new interviews etc don't look the best. There seems to be a lot of jagged edges on outlines and dark areas. I managed to get rid of this by bringing down the sharpness, but with a loss of definition on the picture on the whole. Maybe its a payoff on a larger size TV that shows off the problems with an SD picture?

HD pictures look good through both Blu Ray and the Virgin Media HD - it looks a lot more natural than my previous 42" plasma.

I've got it in low wenergy mode for the moment to let it "bed in". How long should I leave it like that? I'll have a good play when I put it into normal mode, but it seems that gone are the days when we just had contrast, brightness and colour to play with! To be honest I'm finding it all a little daunting.

With standard def pictures you are going from around 500 lines to 1080 with high def....so essentially SD pictures will always look a little soft

With standard def pictures you are going from around 500 lines to 1080 with high def....so essentially SD pictures will always look a little soft

agreed , its never going to look anywhere near as good as hd , the feed from virgin will not be helping though , to put it mildly in my opinon the tv service they provide is ***** compared to sky , i have dabbled with it on and off and always go back to sky .........

I'd just like to add my 2 pence as i have gone from a lg 47ld950 passive to this set after seeing it instore.

I seen it in store and was blown away by the 3d, even though it was a dvd 3d source i could'nt see any xtalk, maybe the lg demo is edited to have zero to low crosstalk footage.

Anyhow my old sammy c750 had loads of xtalk, i'd say if i watched a film i'd of noticed xtalk for about 80% of the film.
with the lg ld950 i'd see xtalk for about 1% of a film, the 3d rocked on that tv.
With this LG50PZ550T i'm seeing xtalk in about 50% of the film, same goes for pc 3d gaming, i went from virtually zero xtalk to loads of xtalk with this lg plasma.

Some things to note.

The stereoscopic test images from here Stereo 3D Display Crosstalk Test Photos With Some Results - 3D Vision Blog have mixed results.
On the black background i see nearly 90% of the image, it's so bad it really does take the bisciut.
On the white background i see about 1% of the image so this is extremely good.

Basicly this tv sucks.

I thought i could make abit of money, gain 3" and get 1080p gaming back as i was never happy with the resolution loss of the passive set.

Gaming does still look very good on this set, even better than the passive as i'm not losing half my res, still there is the problem of xtalk but it's not all that bad most of the time, it's still a good experience, just got to get use to crosstalk in certain parts!

This active set allso does'nt play 3d checkerboard correctly, i thought this checkerboard colourbug was only related to lg passive but it looks as if it may be every lg 3d set has problems with checkerboard.

Save your money and get the 250, thx is crap, not worth the extra £75 that was the difference between the models for me.

Currys may price promise richersounds and give you some extra wich leaves the 250 at about £518ish.

This set will do for the next 4 month, i'm on a 4/6 month upgrade path.

I would'nt buy this set again though, mainly because i was so spiolt with the 3d of the lg passive, with 3d you just can't go back in performance!

Last edited:
I've seen absolutely NO crosstalk whatsoever from this set in fact its one of a few that I have seen that would satisfy me. If you are displaying a 3D image from bluray some players are better at this than others. I saw a samsung player running 3D that was terrible, my oppo bdp93 and LG tv combo are superb in this respect

I've seen absolutely NO crosstalk whatsoever from this set in fact its one of a few that I have seen that would satisfy me. If you are displaying a 3D image from bluray some players are better at this than others. I saw a samsung player running 3D that was terrible, my oppo bdp93 and LG tv combo are superb in this respect

Hi,
Do you think you would have the time to test the crosstalk test pics i posted in the nvidiavisionblog link and report back what the black test looks like.
i'd be really gratefull as i very well need to get a replacement, i can virtually all of the picture with teh black test, with the white test though i'm nearly perfect and cant hardly see anything.

you need to click the pics which expands them and then save as, i use media player classic on the pc to play them back.

Same here no crosstalk for me :) i do have the annoying problem of the glasses disconnecting thou do anybody elses do this

Same here no crosstalk for me :) i do have the annoying problem of the glasses disconnecting thou do anybody elses do this

Hi,
Could you possibly test the images from the test image here Stereo 3D Display Crosstalk Test Photos With Some Results - 3D Vision Blog, i really need some help with the black test as i see virtually all the image but the white test is nearly perfect.
I can't really test if i have a dodgey set untill somebody can confirm this for me.
I'll be eternally gratefull of anybodys feedback on this.

A good point has been made above...stop blaming the tv...look at possible issues such as the blue ray player...

A good point has been made above...stop blaming the tv...look at possible issues such as the blue ray player...

Sorry i understand the first thing anybody suggests is to blame the setup but this is not the issue her
I have been 3d gaming for 12 month now, i use iz3d, tridef, 3dtvplay, cant use 3dvison because lg does'nt play correctly and that's a fact!http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1344018 , i started off with a sammy c750 wich had crosstalk everywhere because it was crap, i then moved to a lg ld950 passive and crosstalk was no longer a issue, passive is by far supperior than active, now i have a lg plasma active and again i see xtalk here and there.
I have gone from a super 3d tv to a lower 3d performing set, it has nothing todo with my system, it has everything todo with how bad this set performs in 3d, it allso does not play checkerboard correctly as it has a colour bug, to the people that say i should look at my system have you even tried checkerboard? i take it that will be a no!

Allso if you want to piont out my sytem is to blame then you really need to check your own sytems out and then find then that you too can see how bad this set performs!
Allso check out the following fireworks 3d display Ebisukou Fireworks Festival 2010 in Stereo 3D - 3D Vision Blog you will see xtalk in abundance on either side of the fireworks, this DOES NOT happen with a lg passive set, passive is by far 1000% better experience but there was xtalk with the c750 allthough the active plasma i have no has it less.

I can game and look at the whole screen and see no xtalk whatso ever, but in other scenes i can see it where it should'nt be and was'nt on the lg ld950 passive but it was there on the c750, i would piont out though that crosstalk was not in places that it was in the c750 so this set does perform better than that.

The long story short is that i went from a top of the range lg 2010 passive set to a budget 2011 lg active set and the differences in 3d performance are huge.

No matter what you guys say i know quality when i see it and this set is garbage, watch the 2 3dvisionblog link's i've provided then come back and tell me the truth.

I think i understand one thing here, these are budget sets, and as so i take it you guys have got this set as a first 3dtv or gone through numerous other 3dtv's and found this set tobe the best, no doubt nobody has had a lg passive or have they?

If you want to flame me then please check out the links to the 3d videos i provided, without watching these your comments are useless.

3dtvplay setup shows zero xtalk for the setup with the hexegon and the triangle, this is perfect but like i said this tv does not handle 3d blacks as is shown in the 3d test, you will know this if you watch the 3d videos!

Last edited:
Why then did you do away with the LD950? I am kinda on the fence between that set and this one. Still kinda confused which to go for. Both can be had for almost the same amount now.

Why then did you do away with the LD950? I am kinda on the fence between that set and this one. Still kinda confused which to go for. Both can be had for almost the same amount now.

The reason.

If you read the link at avsforum you will see that lg passive does not play checkerboard correctly, this is a fact as we have not had anybody yet confirm that checkerboard works without the colourbug, anybody that has tested it so far has confirmed the bug!

I'm a true 3d gamer that has been 100% taken over by pc 3d gaming, if you have'nt pc gamed in 3d on a passive then you have'nt gamed, it's amazing!

had a beer soz for typos

Now there are 4 types of 3d gaming softwares, tridef, iz3d, 3dtvplay,nvidia3dvison, before anybody flames me that 3dvsision does not work in checkerboard mode then get your facts straight first, YOU will find your wrong.
Why did i buy this et, why did i need another upgrade, 3dtvplay is tsuck at 720p, 3dvsisons checkerboard plays 1080p/60hz 60fps, this is a fact!
samsung plays this and any other type of checkerboard perfect with no colour bugs, lg passive have this colour bug.
i thought this was related to lg passive only so i got a lg active after seeing it look so good instore as i need 108op 3dvisions checkerboard as i'm a gamer and do'nt want tobe locked out of 1 of the best stereoscopic softwares!

If your looking at both tv's can be had for the same amount then is this at richersounds? they has ex demo or repair units for cheap, everywhere else the ld950 is over £800 last time i checked.
No 2 ways about it, pay the extra for the ld950, i was gutted to see it go but i'd sold it and the buyer had paid so i upheld my end of the sale.

Get the passive mate, if i could turn back time i would, i'm on another 3 month upgrade path no to a 55 lg passive, these lg plasma active suck but if you know no better you wil think its awsome.

the lg plasma

Last edited:
Yes, I planned to get the LD950 from richer sounds. So they offer at least a years warranty with these store demo units/ refurbs? If they do I think I think it will be worth it if I bought it. The next option up, is either the samsung 40d6100 which is £30 more or the LG 42LW450u which is £70 quid more. For £30 extra, I could also buy the samsung PS51D550 with 4 pairs of glasses and megamind 3D at best buy uk. These are the questions/decisions that make it so difficult for me to take my first step into 3D.

Yes, I planned to get the LD950 from richer sounds. So they offer at least a years warranty with these store demo units/ refurbs? If they do I think I think it will be worth it if I bought it. The next option up, is either the samsung 40d6100 which is £30 more or the LG 42LW450u which is £70 quid more. For £30 extra, I could also buy the samsung PS51D550 with 4 pairs of glasses and megamind 3D at best buy uk. These are the questions/decisions that make it so difficult for me to take my first step into 3D.
Well if you go lg passive, maybe the ld950 then thta would be better than all your other chioces, seen about 5 active 3dtv that have xtalk here and there or everywhere, only seen 1 passive and it was a perfect 3d inage, no xtalk, tyats says somethuing about which is better.

The LG 50PZ550T is'nt all that bad, after a few hours of dirt 3 3d gaming some of the xtalk disapeared but some was still there, it's miles better thana c750 but nowhere near as good as a lg passive, same size tv in passive though has a price premium that far exceeds the LG 50PZ550T.
As a first 3dtv i can reccomend this unit but only if you can't afford anything better, you should never do what i done, go from a passive to active as 3d sucks on anything else but passive, and thats a fact that my own eyes tell me from experience.

Last edited:
Yes, I planned to get the LD950 from richer sounds. So they offer at least a years warranty with these store demo units/ refurbs? If they do I think I think it will be worth it if I bought it.
As mocca says the LD950 plays killer 3D :thumbsup:

I've just watched Hidden 3D on mine and I promise if you have some friends around then just watch their jaws hit the floor when they watch it (matching it with a good surround amp will help the experience too) :D

I've matched mine with the Panasonic BD110 but whatever you do make sure you get hold of a player that can do 2D->3D as that will leave you stunned too.

...and on top of that I'm getting reports that the LD950 slightly outperforms the newer 2011 passive models on 3D (it has a very expensive glass polariser which the newer models don't have)

Prices are a complete steal at the moment :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom