SonyKDF E50A12U help for ghosting check 60hz

I was not in when they came, but my mum muttered something about a chip, a reset and something ware. I will have to phone them to find out what for they did for sure

I was not in when they came, but my mum muttered something about a chip, a reset and something ware. I will have to phone them to find out what for they did for sure

Would be great if you did! Will help a lot of us to get our sets serviced faster.

They replaced an ic chip, updated the firmware and did a hard reset. if this is true or not i dont know as they did not seem to know what they were talking about.

Just turned the xbox on for the first time today and its begining to ghost again.

Just turned the xbox on for the first time today and its begining to ghost again.

Good stuff. So maybe the optics block next then.. I'll have to wait until next year now, with the nintendo wii coming out on the 8th. Hopefully a solution arises by then :)

I also recently discovered this 60Hz ghosting problem, took me a while to work out what it was and that it just occured on 60Hz too.

It's now fixed. Onsite. Through a menu option. A secret engineer's menu. And I know how. :devil:

First, I called up for warranty repair. The guy from Mastercare showed up, admitted straight away he didn't really know much about this set. Fair enough, I didn't expect him to, there are so many sets out there you can't know everything about them all, and he was a nice guy anyway. So, I explain the problem, and he phones head office. The supervisor guy on the end of the phone is an idiot. He runs through umpteen excuses to try to fob me off, unlucky for him I'm pretty technical, and know my stuff, and I shoot him down in flames on every try. :devil:

First, he suggests that it's "normal". Then that it doesn't support 60Hz. Then he suggested that because it's 60Hz, my xbox360 is not a UK one, it's an import. Then he suggests it must be "chipped or modified". All untrue. Eventually we get past him, and my engineer dude phones up Sony. After some trouble trying to establish details and model numbers, the guy at Sony tell my engineer how to sort it. Apparently, this is not an unknown problem, Sony are aware. They know. They've worked out a solution. This guy at Sony *knew* straight away what to do. He was strong in the ways of the Clue. ;)

Now whether the *problem* is fixed, I cannot say, but the symptoms ( the ghosting ) are gone, so I'm happy. I would like to know the real cause of this problem though, as I wouldn't like to think the solution I've been given is just covering up for something which will get worse and arise again.

If I give up this solution, which Sony almost certainly don't want you the end user to have ( this is an Engineer only menu ), on your heads be it. Use it at your own risk. You go messing with stuff in there you don't understand, you're gonna knacker your telly. Be warned. I accept no responsibility for your actions.

And the solution? erm, I have it written down, at home, and I'm at work, so you'll have to wait a few hours, sorry :cool:

:smashin:

I assume you are talking about service menu. I think that that is common knowledge how to enter it on sony TVs, but it is not common knowledge how to use it ;).

Please provide us with the solution.

regards,

AnDrzej

I also recently discovered this 60Hz ghosting problem, took me a while to work out what it was and that it just occured on 60Hz too.

It's now fixed. Onsite. Through a menu option. A secret engineer's menu. And I know how. :devil:

First, I called up for warranty repair. The guy from Mastercare showed up, admitted straight away he didn't really know much about this set. Fair enough, I didn't expect him to, there are so many sets out there you can't know everything about them all, and he was a nice guy anyway. So, I explain the problem, and he phones head office. The supervisor guy on the end of the phone is an idiot. He runs through umpteen excuses to try to fob me off, unlucky for him I'm pretty technical, and know my stuff, and I shoot him down in flames on every try. :devil:

First, he suggests that it's "normal". Then that it doesn't support 60Hz. Then he suggested that because it's 60Hz, my xbox360 is not a UK one, it's an import. Then he suggests it must be "chipped or modified". All untrue. Eventually we get past him, and my engineer dude phones up Sony. After some trouble trying to establish details and model numbers, the guy at Sony tell my engineer how to sort it. Apparently, this is not an unknown problem, Sony are aware. They know. They've worked out a solution. This guy at Sony *knew* straight away what to do. He was strong in the ways of the Clue. ;)

Now whether the *problem* is fixed, I cannot say, but the symptoms ( the ghosting ) are gone, so I'm happy. I would like to know the real cause of this problem though, as I wouldn't like to think the solution I've been given is just covering up for something which will get worse and arise again.

If I give up this solution, which Sony almost certainly don't want you the end user to have ( this is an Engineer only menu ), on your heads be it. Use it at your own risk. You go messing with stuff in there you don't understand, you're gonna knacker your telly. Be warned. I accept no responsibility for your actions.

And the solution? erm, I have it written down, at home, and I'm at work, so you'll have to wait a few hours, sorry :cool:

NICE! I would very much want to know it just in case the sony service guys here cant fix it or something.

So now there are 3 possible solutions:
1 new Optical Block
2 settings in the service menu
3 an firmware update

Hopefully any minute now I will be called to meet a Sony employee at my home and hopefully he will sort this out. I was notified that the firmware update should fix this specific problem. I will keep you guys posted and I will track what he's doing.
To be continued.......

I'll just quote a friend of mine here: "its 2006, electronics should not have these problems"

Hopefully any minute now I will be called to meet a Sony employee at my home and hopefully he will sort this out. I was notified that the firmware update should fix this specific problem. I will keep you guys posted and I will track what he's doing.
To be continued.......
Any news... did he turn up?

Ok, firstly, disclaimer.

This "solution" utilises a "service" menu, that only trained engineers should use. You are not one, you are an "end user". :D So am I, but I paid attention. ;)

Use of this information is entirely at your own risk, you mess up your telly, it's your own silly fault. Don't go messing with stuff in there you don't know about.

Ok.

To bring up the "service" menu, put the TV in standby mode, then press in sequence :

Onscreen Display ( the little screen with the i+ in it )
5 ( channel number 5 )
Volume Up ( upper end of volume button )
Analogue ( middle top button )

The TV should switch on and when it's warmed up, you should see a screen with lots of big green lettering on it.

Press the "menu" button ( middle bottom )

Use the direction dial to move down to "LCD Drivers" and press right on the dial to enter this menu.

Move down to "S H Pos Reg R". It should be "10", change it to "11". ( Left/Right to adjust )
Move down to "S H Pos Reg G". It should be "10", change it to "11".
Move down to "SHPos Reg B". It should be "10", change it to "11". (it's on the next "page", keeping scrolling down the menu)

Press the menu button to drop out of the menus, and the standy button to drop to standby. Switch back on, and hopefully your ghosting will be gone. Mine was, haven't noticed any side effects, seems ok.

I don't know exactly what this setting does...guess is it adjusts the horizontal shift, maybe something gets burnt out on 10...??

Since I posted it first, I'm going to dub this the "Spinal Tap" solution. Since... "but...this goes to 11..." :devil:

Incidentally, my menu has at the bottom "LE4B v7.27". Wondered what other people have. Be interested to hear about this firmware "fix" for this particular problem. Is that my firmware number?

Good luck!

Last edited:
Ok I realise this is "try at own risk" but given that the settings you have described changing obviously have a scale to adjust, I wonder just how much risk there actually is?

So, who is going to be the first brave "engineer" to give it a go?! :eek:

Ok I realise this is "try at own risk" but given that the settings you have described changing obviously have a scale to adjust, I wonder just how much risk there actually is?

Honestly? I think very little, I believe it's just a horizontal offset value for each panel, when you adjust the values, you can see each panel's image shifting horizontally. It can have values from 0-15... and you can change it back again....

Right.... going to give it a go!

Glad you guys have got this sorted out.. and quite easily too! :thumbsup:

It worked!!!

:thumbsup:
Glad to hear it... I can't even get into the service menu so I'm not doing so well!

Scrub that... being thick. It worked. Wooooooh! Only time will tell now whether it has truly fixed the problem. Now where is my HD-DVD drive!!? I want to watch some HD stuff while it looks good....

Friend got his HD-DVD drive on Tuesday, set it up Weds. He says it puts SkyHD to shame, superb quality. I'm half tempted to go looking for one, despite saying I'd sit on the fence till the two formats had slugged it out. :D

Well the Sony guy showed up.
He upgraded the firmware.
He just replaced a little square shaped rom.
This did nothing. He took pictures and he will get back to me on the matter.
He said the firmware upgrade was something that was necessary for xbox owners who connected to it by component.
But he told me that what xbox owners experience is far worse than what I have.
So I urge everyone to try and check whether or not an X-box works. This would mean youd need to check if your firmware is after a certain build. I'm not sure yet. I should check my new firmware and let you know if you have that.
I'll let the Sony guy go at it.

I swear this is the best forum I have ever joined, its members have helped me return a tv which was misold to me as hd ready and choose to purchase my sony which excluding the ghosting problem I love, and now with three simple adjustments to the service menu perfection :D. Cheers DJ, you saved me dealing with the limitless incompetence of the Sony employee again :smashin: .

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom