KDL-55 / 46 / 40 HX853 Owners Thread Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
You mentioned overhang in the topic. Not sure what you mean but I have the stand going over the table at both ends by 5cm or more. Not exactly pretty, but it's dark 24/7 so it's not a problem for me.

Yes , if i get one it will overhang the table by several cms so glad its a flat base by the look of things.

I see there is an alternative stand, a link to a diagram rather than a photo was posted earlier. I just wanted to know, does the TV itself have speakers or are they only in the supplied TV stand ?

Also, Shen Ku and Fat, could either of you post a picture of the alternative stand ? Finally, if you opt not to use the supplied speaker stand, can you still get sound from the TV ??
I'll see if I can get a picture uploaded for you later tonight.

The TV has built in speakers at the back, so you don't need the speaker stand for sound. Just be sure to change the TV Position to 'Table-Top Stand' in sound settings. And there's really not a lot of difference in sound quality between the two. If I were to be ultra critical, the TV speakers sound a little more tinny with less bass compared to the speaker stand.

Called Sony tonight and had a much better experience. Call was answered within seconds and had a really helpful CS operative. He took me through a number of tests, swapping HDMI cables, ports, etc and agreed there's definitely a problem with the set. He's going to escalate it and I should hear back by Friday, fingers crossed.

Playmaker said:
Let me tell you this mate you are wrong pixel problems are very common it's just that the average person doesn't notice them, black pixels are easy to spot however stuck pixels sometimes only appear on a complete dark screen and how often do you see that. Trust me I've return loads due to pixel problems , I've even had an engineer out and he said about out of 20 Tvs only 2-3 will not have pixel issues. Thats also what the BS manufacture hopes people except. Truth is most people don't notice, to test your screen you need a complete white screen and a complete black screen.

My eyes are fine, I have no stuck pixels!!!

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 876
  • Front 2.jpg
    Front 2.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 912
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 835
I'll see if I can get a picture uploaded for you later tonight.

The TV has built in speakers at the back, so you don't need the speaker stand for sound. Just be sure to change the TV Position to 'Table-Top Stand' in sound settings. And there's really not a lot of difference in sound quality between the two. If I were to be ultra critical, the TV speakers sound a little more tinny with less bass compared to the speaker stand.

Shen Ku , can you also pls tell me the overall height of your TV with your stand as measured from the table top ?

And how many cms high is the height of the base plate of the table top stand ? ie. the flat part that is parallel to the table ?

And finally , when using the table top stand , what is the height of the lower edge of the TV measured from the table top ? And what is the height of the lower edge of the LCD screen , as measure from the table top ?

Sorry for all the questions .

Last edited:
Shen Ku , can you also pls tell me , is there any difference in the overall height of the TV between using the speaker stand vs. using the table top stand ?
The TV sits a little higher when used with the stand. Its only around 1 inch though.
And how many cms high is the height of the base plate of the table top stand ? ie. the flat part that is parallel to the table ?
You mean the thickness of the base plate? It varies from 2cm at the back and around half a cm at the front.
And finally , when using the table top stand , what is the height of the lower edge of the TV measured from the table top ? And what is the height of the lower edge of the LCD screen , as measure from the table top ?
From the bottom of the base plate to the lower edge of the TV, its just over 2 inches. Hope this helps mate.

:-S

Worried about what I'm gonna get on Monday now

Don't be. Odds are very high it'll be fab and fault-free like mine and most other people's.

Just don't expect it to sound great though. :)

Last edited:
Thanks.

My current Samsung has always sounded awful. That's why I have the Arcam :)

All- I see a lot of comparisons between the 853 and the es7000 and 8000, I am sending back my es6900 and replacing this - would I be right in saying this would definately be an improvement?

Well I'll be. I managed to finish work on time this evening and thought I might as well call Sony as they hadn't rung me back. I gave my case number and the operative said "oh yes it's about the stand", which took me back a bit. I explained again regarding the cross talk and that Amazon had confirmed they will replace the TV if it cannot be repaired over the phone. She then went to check on the situation as it had been escalated. This is the part that blows my mind. She said that they would send me some filters to put on my 3D glasses that should solve the problem!? This was the stock reply I got from the first operative until I explained that I had tired several glasses and it was definitely the set. The guy I spoke with confirmed there was a problem with the set during our conversation and tests yesterday. So the direct result of the escalation was to go back to the stock response! I explained again that was not the case and unacceptable so she has confirmed my case number is valid for a replacement from Amazon. However I now have no faith in Sony's customer service whatsoever.

I finally decided to take my HX853 back today. Just couldn't live with the clouding and torch lights. Now the happy owner of a 47WT50B :D. £250 lighter though :(.

Is the soundbar stand hard or fiddily to attach In the online manual it looks like the tv just slides into the base

Yeah. Can one person do it?

Thinking a bit more about it... my 'unless you're weedy' comment was a bit glib. I'm not particularly slight myself but I felt better having someone help me lift my 46" onto its base and then lifting the whole TV onto its stand. Maybe I should have said for the 46", yes, at a pinch.

If you have the strength to lift the 46", putting it on the stand shouldn't be a problem. Gorilla glass might make it a bit heavier than other edge LEDs, but you can also be a bit more carefree in handling it.

There's an easy way for one person to fit the sound bar to even the 55" model. I did it myself. I laid the TV face down on the seat of my sofa with the bottom edge of the TV sticking out over the front edge of the sofa seat cushions (with a towel underneath the screen for protection). It was then dead easy to fit the sound bar onto the TV and the bolt holes were facing upwards with totally clear access to screw in the securing bolts and tighten them up.

The TV then needs to be lifted from the sofa to its final position which is where, especially for a 55", another person is probably needed but the sofa method does at least make fitting the sound bar really simple to do with very clear access and no danger of dropping the TV during the procedure.

- Julian

JulianL said:
There's an easy way for one person to fit the sound bar to even the 55" model. I did it myself. I laid the TV face down on the seat of my sofa with the bottom edge of the TV sticking out over the front edge of the sofa seat cushions (with a towel underneath the screen for protection). It was then dead easy to fit the sound bar onto the TV and the bolt holes were facing upwards with totally clear access to screw in the securing bolts and tighten them up.

The TV then needs to be lifted from the sofa to its final position which is where, especially for a 55", another person is probably needed but the sofa method does at least make fitting the sound bar really simple to do with very clear access and no danger of dropping the TV during the procedure.

- Julian

I did exactly the same thing and even managed to then transfer it onto the low slung alphason stand!

To be honest I put the stand on the floor and then lifted the tv out and slotted onto the stand in one move, really not hard, I think the tv only weighs about 30kg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom