Lg 3dtv colourbug user group! checkerboard and interleaved ghosting

Sorry people but that's me out of lg.
I will say one last thing

The average user would never ever use these 2 faulty 3d options that span across all of lg 3dtv's.
You can still have alot of fun using the standard hdmi 1.4 options which covers 3d bluray,ps3,360 and pc 3d gaming.
But as i'm an advanced user then i now find i have to move away from lg to another brand, i'll let you knw more soon but for me this war is over!

And

Most other 3dtv's do' nt have interleaved and checkerboard anyway.

I would'nt sell the lg i have now but i need a bigger one and am thinking of a phillps ambilight 55" lol i wish, just need to find a test shop or order from amazon.

Both the ld950 and the 450u are top notch 3dtv's and aside from the issue's i'd recommend lg passive, i should'nt but i do because they are quite good for xtalk.
But if you want these 2 faulty 3d option sthen lg is not for you fullstop!

I may move back when the issues are fixed unless there are better alternatives at that time.
At the moment all i want is a working interleaved set so i can upgrade my gfx cards.

Last edited:
Well well well LG!
You have had over a year to fix your 3d problems, you have gave me the run around at every oppertunity even though i gave you the info you needed to fix the issues!, even compliants was awfull, your customer service really does suck, in over a year you have'nt fixed what others have working out the box, AND with your PANELS, what a bunch of w.......rs
And

YOUR 980t flagship model has the colourbugs, again what a bunch of w.......rs for not testing my findings, i gave you more than enough oppertunity and even inition.co.uk informed you off the issue which i think your reply to them was you had no issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sort your life out as i now no longer advise anybody to buy your 3dtv's!!!!
£2000 you had from me minus a return on a awfull pz550t so lets say £1500, thats my money spent on rubbish!

I have just come home with this toshiba passive
TOSHIBA Regza 42VL863B 42" Full HD LED 3D TV buy online | Currys

and will be picking up a free bluray player in a couple of days for free after i asked and i got!

AND

There is no colourbug in interleaved 3d, it plays as it should 100% perfect!!!
The set does'nt have a checkerboard 3d option but it is no longer needed with interleaved working.

I advise anybody who has the problem to demand a full refund and get a toshiba passive or another passive that does'nt have lg's firmware as a base but only if you really do want a working interleaved set! But take this with a pinch of salt as i havent tested this toshiba out yet, will take a few days to say if its any good or not.

I can't comment on it's performance yet as i have only tested the interleaved as working without any edid mod or anything.
Will play some dirt3 later and test the motion handling in 3d gaming.

Nearly a year later it's still me at up here trying to fight for the world, shame the world never chipped in and added there findings as you will find you have all been had over by lg and without mass help from the community you are in nowhere land as lg are doing nothing, this is obvious as they released the 980t with the colourbug.

Well sadly like i said in my other post, this war is over for me as i've sacked lg for anything, never again will i purchase lg, no need to now as i can buy other passive's from other manufactuers, i really have been put off lg, thank god i have nothing in my flat LG!
This HAS.... left a bad taste in my mouth and i am anti LG now and will put you down at every oppertunity, i can garruntee you that our network will broadcast my findings all over the net for the public to see.

Good luck to the people that will stick with lg, they did'nt fix it for the last year so do'nt do what i done and refresh tyhe firmware pages everyday looking for lg to release a fix as it NEVER came for me on three different model lg 3dtv's

I am extremely angry with lg, wasted a year of my life for nothing, that is not on!!!

This post was called something else at the start, something like " can any lg rep explain the colourbug lg 3dtv's have ? "

You have reps on this forum and you had the chance to put our minds at ease byu releasing some info but you ignored me, i hate being ignored and i promise you will not be able to ignore me, i will dish the dirt on you at any chance i get without being a spammer on these forums of course but i will tell the world about this!

And on every forum and as more people come to those post with your issues the wider the web will cover you.

Last edited:
And just incase lg actually read this i can reproduce the exact same colourbug on this toshiba in interleaved 3d!
So now i'm telling you again how easy it is to fix your issues!

What i done next i allready had a theory about, and i was correct in my thinking, just as i was 6 months ago!
Setting a clean interleaved image as a desktop wallpaper using windows creates the colourbug, this is because windows 7 is scaling the image, so far i have found " automatic wallpaper changer " and " stereo photo maker " that does not scale the image and gives perfect 3d even as a desktop using AWC.

I did say this to your reps many times a long time ago that your firmware is faulty and there is scaling going on that affects the 2 3d options.
This has been tested on winxp, vista,win7, x86 and x64.

So there you have it on a plate yet again, you know what you have todo so just do it, your taking peoples money and upsetting them!!

i'm not being paid to fault find for you and infact i have spent my own money 5 times fault finding!
I think you owe me a 980t for free for saving you thousands in research!!!

Last edited:
I wish I found this thread BEFORE buying a LW550. Interleaved 3D was a major selling point... Anyway, can anyone tell me where to get the EDID from, and what firmwares have people been using with best results.

@mocca, I don't think it's to do with scaling, justscan seems to get perfect 1:1 sizing. But it's certainly to do with the image processing the TV is doing, and judging by the picture quality sharpening seems to be the main culprit.

I wish I found this thread BEFORE buying a LW550. Interleaved 3D was a major selling point... Anyway, can anyone tell me where to get the EDID from, and what firmwares have people been using with best results.

@mocca, I don't think it's to do with scaling, justscan seems to get perfect 1:1 sizing. But it's certainly to do with the image processing the TV is doing, and judging by the picture quality sharpening seems to be the main culprit.

Hi,
For reasons i cannot accept your views on it not being scaling, sorry but i base this on solid evidence i have seen before my own eyes, i have put alot into this over the last 8 month and have lost many nights sleep brainstorming., the proof i have found in fault finding says 100% scaling issue but i am modest so i believe i can be wrong and if i am wrong i will be gratefull of finding out why i was wrong and what the issue really was.
Edids are in link in first post. scattered around, best to follow the tut below to make your own ;)

Sharpness has zero affect on a colourbugged interleaved 3d image, the clear sharpness bug is only created after the edid mod with a nvidia card or with a stock edid from a ati card.
And as checkerboard has the bug aswell which cannot be fixed then sharpness will do nothing like it does on my tosh!!!
It all screams calibration and scaling, i've proved the scaling by being able to reproduce the exact same colourbug on a working set, on 3 sets as it happens, all different models ;)
But again my proof and facts are of my findings and i would put alot of merit behind my findings on this matter.
Lg have made a massive error, as they made the massive error in the core of there firmwares then this branches out to all other things like hdmi, internal media players ect.
If the internal media players have colourghosting bug with clean 3d images which are 100% 1 to 1 perfect with the colourbug in a desktop image then this to me proves my theory is correct as the clean interleaved image on a working interleaved passive 3dtv crats the colourbug which i will say again is 1.1 pixel perfect with the lg's internal media players colourbug!!!

I really believe it is scaling as everything i have learned over the last 8 months has led to this conclusion, i concluded it along time ago and i think this new toshiba proves that, i just know that a clean interleaved image has exactly the same effect as the colourbug when set as a desktop and this is because of scaling so it could be a good possibilty,hence the reason for the edidmod/nvidia or a even worse edid from a stock ati card but with no colourbug which sounds like the extension bloc is'nt read correctly as the extension bloc is what fixes the bug for nvidia.
This was tested as fact on the ld950 that i forced to work and the 450u that again i had to force to work and again on this toshiba that works from the box,

From
Fixing Ugly DVI/HDMI Displays due to EDID bugs on nVidia drivers | analogbit.com
What is happening: Your monitor is providing EDID information to the driver that identifies that it is actually a TV. EDID stands for "extended display identification data" its a low level standard originally devised in 1994 that is basically a set a flags that tells the computer what the monitors capabilities are. The nVidia drivers see that you have a TV and decide to modify the signal in an attempt to make the picture look 'better' it also sometimes forces the output resolution to the standard TV resolutions (1080p/i, 720p, 480p/i).

Without the extension bloc the image looks better as the nvidia drivers have no reference to the edids full information so cannot modify the signal ect to what the edid has reported, ati does a better job of this by the sounds of it as it has no colour bug with a stock edid as it's read even more incorrectly.;)

Moving to a toshiba my edid in moninfo looks correct, even the panel size is correct, the lg edid is seriously messed up and it cannot be fixed for checkerboard as the problem is internal which is proved by nvidia and ati having colourbug in checkerboard,fundamentally lg's base calibrations are incorrect as even the internal media player has the exact same colourbugs.Further proof of this is like i said, my toshiba edid is now correct and i have working interleaved with no edid mod and a everything at stock and with the exact same card and setup ect and a normal looking edid!!!

And for another piont of reference to the sharpness clear bug, i have none of that with this tosh in interleaved 3d , infact you can see sharpness setting taking affect but it adds no ghosting what so ever, no clear ghosting is caused by changing the sharpness to full or min, unlike the lg where sharpness affects the interleaved image.
And this tosh has a lg panel!
So again i take this as proof of lg have bad calibration in there firmware, they did not test there sets good enough unlike tosh that took lg's panel and made it work with their firmware ;)

Have done the !!!'s to piont out facts ect from many many months of fault finding.

I have included my stock toshiba edid for somebody to test, you may get lucky but i doubt it

Attachments

• toshibapassive.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Have you tried applying sharpness to the image on Windows, and displaying that on your Toshiba? nvidia control panel has a slider, iirc. To me, the 2D image always seems to have sharpening (or blur) artifacts, and halos going from one line to another would certainly induce crosstalk. I would think it's possible for the sets to handle sharpening differently. If Toshiba actually gave consideration to interleaved 3D, they could ensure the algorythm keeps the alternate lines separate. All conjecture on my part, of course.

If it is a scaling issue, I'd expect to see scaling artifacts in the image. A checkerboard pattern of black and white pixels seems to be scaled perfectly, but perhaps I'm confusing the scaling artifacts for sharpening artifacts.

I don't see a direct link in the first post. Do I have to read through the AVS thread?

Thanks for the Toshiba EDID.

Have you tried applying sharpness to the image on Windows, and displaying that on your Toshiba? nvidia control panel has a slider, iirc. To me, the 2D image always seems to have sharpening (or blur) artifacts, and halos going from one line to another would certainly induce crosstalk. I would think it's possible for the sets to handle sharpening differently. If Toshiba actually gave consideration to interleaved 3D, they could ensure the algorythm keeps the alternate lines separate. All conjecture on my part, of course.

If it is a scaling issue, I'd expect to see scaling artifacts in the image. A checkerboard pattern of black and white pixels seems to be scaled perfectly, but perhaps I'm confusing the scaling artifacts for sharpening artifacts.

I don't see a direct link in the first post. Do I have to read through the AVS thread?

Please pm me explaining what edid you want ;)

Hi yes tried that thanks, no longer can i test anything out as i no longer have a lg set but rest assured i have tried 1million things 1 billion ways and the result was allways the same, working interleaved could be forced.

I do have solid proof of it being scaling as the colourbug has been reproduced on a working ld950 and 450u that i forced to work with interleaved 3d only, aswell as being tested on an actual 100% working 3dtv, all tests give the same colourbug as interleaved, so if i can reproduce the colourbug by scaling a image then that to me screeams 100% scaling as without the edid bloc or with an incorrect edid bloc windows does not scale the image to what the lg's edid has reported it todo.
And because of this, this is the reason why checkerboard does'nt work even when i edid mod can make interleaved work correctly as the core of lg's calibrations are incorrect.

And again i'll piont out the internal media players of lg has the colourbug in both interleaved and checkerboard and again this 1.1 pixel perfect with the colourbug and a made to have colourbugged desktop image.

This is proved more so by the tosh displaying it's images pefectly fine for interleaved.

Lg just did not calibrate interleaved and checkerboiard correctly as proven by this tosh set i have now again , again and again i give solid facts, all these facts have come around by way of fault finding though but i am sure if i was in a lg techs center my findings would be seen as facts as my findings are true ;)

Now sadly i was the first person to discover how to recreate the colourbug on working interleaved sets and as such and being a normal human being on his sofa it is very hard to convince people of the facts, if i was a lg tech i would be believed ;)

Edit, i tried the checkerboard black pixel white ect but it was a viod test as it is a 2d image, 2d images work on these sets, its a 3d interleaved image that does'nt work ;) allthough you would of thought the black/white would of showed inconstancies, as i said i'm open to other idea's but they will need to overide the facts that i think are correct.
Here is something you have given rise to but i would'nt know how todo it or if it can be done
Use that black on white 1.1 pixel mapping image and if it could be changed colours and made into an interleaved image this would show wether it is really scaling or incorrect calibration of colours as we see black and white work perect, what about red and yellow and so on if you get my drift, hopefully somebody with the knowledge could make these checkerboarded interleaved and checkerboard images.

Showing a 2d checkerboard black and white image proves nothing as the set reprodeces 2d images pefectly.
There is a major difference between a standard 2d image and a 2d 3d interleaced image so your standard checkerboard black and white test has no bearing on the colourbug what so ever i'm afraid but again i will gladly accept other proof if it is more substantial than mine but it needs tobe proof and not just a idea.

Last edited:
Well my reasoning was that the interleaved 3D mode is essentially a 2D image displayed on an interleaved screen. The signal does not change and the TV does not dis/enable any processing. So if scaling is the issue, then scaling artifacts will be easily apparent on the checkerboard pattern. The test is purely to see if the TV is scaling the image. If it isn't displaying digitally transmitted images 1:1, then it's a serious flaw imo.

I'm going to read up on the issue and all the EDID stuff later, so I'll PM you when I find out what I actually want :)

How do you find the black levels on your Toshiba? The low input lag is very tempting to me.

Well my reasoning was that the interleaved 3D mode is essentially a 2D image displayed on an interleaved screen. The signal does not change and the TV does not dis/enable any processing. So if scaling is the issue, then scaling artifacts will be easily apparent on the checkerboard pattern. The test is purely to see if the TV is scaling the image. If it isn't displaying digitally transmitted images 1:1, then it's a serious flaw imo.

I'm going to read up on the issue and all the EDID stuff later, so I'll PM you when I find out what I actually want :)

How do you find the black levels on your Toshiba? The low input lag is very tempting to me.

Er can't really comment on the blacks as blacks ect have never bothered me, maybe this comes from having a black and white tv untill i was 16 lol so i take no notice of blacks and when i think back to the other tv's i never noticed the blacks on them either.
I can say the blacks are ok but that does'nt come from a good source as i never notice the black thingy :)
Reduced input lag is like going from a lg standard label to a pc label and then add the exact same reponse increase on top of the pc label, it really is a huge difference in racing games.

Alot has gone through my brain with these colourbugs and as such and the way i am i know myself to get mixed up, i can prove facts at the time but in months to come i may mix those facts with other facts that make no sense lol
Sometimes i do admit to making no sense what so ever lol

The thing that i do know 100% is that the scaling of a clean 3d image on a working interleaved set resembles the exact same colourbugged image as a unscaled interleaved image on a stock colourbugged set so it's possible it creates the bug via another way that is totally different to the real colourbug but looks like it which would be very decieving if true as that would rule out another possible cause.

I take it as you go through skyguy3d's avs thread you will hopefully understand what has happenedand in what order in this last 8 month or so, it is a long read but it was the first port of call for anybodys findings ;)
There is some very interesting stuff in there and some no so interesting so try not to get jumbled up lol

Last edited:
Right a few days have passed and i can say i am over the moon with with my new tosh.
The best thing for me is that i have proven lg is faulty, and as such you should be able to use this forum post and the tosh's no colourbug to maybe chat to a manager at your tv store and demand a full refund, lg hasnt fixed this issue so i would'nt hold your breath, i could'nt hold mine anymore and when i breathed again i could see i had been holding in stale air, lg you are stale air in my lubgs!

All thelg 3dtv was released faulty so 8 month down the line you can prove your tv was faulty from the box i would think as it never did actually work from day 1

I would of returned mine but the fact is if i went in and they said no then i can't deal with those situations, i am not a debater or a arguer, i am a fighter so it's best to steer cleer of those situations as i hate idiot shop staff who have my money and wont give it back.
It was easy to take the lg pz550t back as i only had it for about 4 days.

I have included a picture of a interleaved image, this is the same png image i ahve been using for testing!
As you can see on the tosh image is perfect with no edid mods or anything, tosh works from the box with a lg panel unlike lg that is very messed up indeed.

Attachments

• SP_A0959.jpg
    SP_A0959.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:
I decided i would live with lg untill they fixed these issues but yesterday mocca i came back to see if there was afix and seen you have a toshiba that works.
I called the shop staff and explained my issues, allso while on the phone i had the operator look at this post as well as others, i told them i did'nt want a refund and would be happy with a swap ect for a tosh 46.
I have just came home with it and can corfirm that the 46 allso works with no colourbugs, i allso got a free bluray player after asking like mocca did.
Thankyou Mocca for all the effort you have put into this, if anybody deserves tobe happy it's you.
I'll let you know what i think in a fews days.

Last edited:
I decided i would live with lg untill they fixed these issues but yesterday mocca i came back to see if there was afix and seen you have a toshiba that works.
I called the shop staff and explained my issues, allso while on the phone i had the operator look at this post as well as others, i told them i did'nt want a refund and would be happy with a swap ect for a tosh 46.
I have just came home with it and can corfirm that the 46 allso works with no colourbugs, i allso got a free bluray player after asking like mocca did.
Thankyou Mocca for all the effort you have put into this, if anybody deserves tobe happy it's you.
I'll let you know what i think in a fews days.

Cool,
Did you have any issues with them offering you a swap?

Well I've reread this thread and caught up with the situation. HDMI, VGA, EDID hack, 2 firmwares, labels, picture modes, settings - I've tried pretty much every permutation with my 47LW550T and can't get the ghosting in interleaved mode down to an acceptable level. (I get a more crosstalk than I originally expected in framepacked/SBS but it's nowhere near as bad.)

I'm sorely tempted to buy one of those Toshibas to compare the sets side by side. Judging by reviews the LGs are better overall, but interleaved 3D is such a major feature for me. (I see zero point in settling for 540p 3D without it...) I'd like to think that photos of both TVs in clone mode would be solid evidence for LG, but judging by their apparent disdain for pretty much every complaint, I highly doubt it.

05.01.10 seems to have improved the issue on the PC label for me. (at the same time as adding more lag) Can anyone else confirm?

Anyone get any new results, I've seen no ghosting improvements on the 4.02 firmware that was released last month.

Was just playing a game with a mate and suddenly i had the colourbug in interleaved with the TOSHIBA Regza 42VL863B :eek:

But soon found the problem which comes as quite a suprise as it is another way to duplicate the colourbug.
Playing a interleaved 3d game with true motion on creates the same colourbug that lg has, i'm 100% sure of this as i lived with the colourbug for 8 months so i think i know what looks like what ;)
As you can see by the image, 100% the same colourbug as lg but on a tosh!
taken through the right lense of the glasses, notice the yellow ghosting again ;)
WP_000807.jpg

I do'nt know what this means, i have a hunch though.

Interleaved 3d can't work correctly with motion plus type settings as it creates massive artifacts on moving images so i never ever use it.
If the tosh shows the colourbug with the motion proccessing on and the lg shows it with it while it's on or off then maybe the lg is still doing some proccessing to the image creating the colourbug.
if so and it's as easy as turning a setting off on a tosh then can lg not just turn off what ever extra proccessing they have while in pc mode ect?

it's another theory to add to the pool, that's for sure and if it is extra proccessing then maybe this is the reason for the lag with lg allso.

Last edited:
But soon found the problem which comes as quite a suprise as it is another way to duplicate the colourbug.
Playing a interleaved 3d game with true motion on creates the same colourbug that lg has, i'm 100% sure of this as i lived with the colourbug for 8 months so i think i know what looks like what ;)
the ghosting effect you see is something i saw alot of, when buying new 3d glasses off amazon. some of them not original but still horizontal polarized, and some even circular polarized :(. anyways some of the glasses gives you an even worse ghosting effect through the glasses than others, and its easy to minimize by testing them up against original glasses.

so maybe its not all just the tv that needs fixing, but glasses needs to be perfected, since different models give even worse ghosting colorbug effects.?

the ghosting effect you see is something i saw alot of, when buying new 3d glasses off amazon. some of them not original but still horizontal polarized, and some even circular polarized :(. anyways some of the glasses gives you an even worse ghosting effect through the glasses than others, and its easy to minimize by testing them up against original glasses.

so maybe its not all just the tv that needs fixing, but glasses needs to be perfected, since different models give even worse ghosting colorbug effects.?

Hi
Thanks for your input but sadly you can't be further away from the truth, this has nothing todo with the glasses and everything todo with lg's tech!

The ghosting your seeing with different glaases is just that, you are using different glasses!

I'd just like to piont out to anybody reading this that you cannot fix lg's colourbug or clear ghosting issue with a simple pair of glasses!
Sorry Lgfan but i can only say that your info is as good as spreading false information, people do'nt waste anymore of your money trying to fix lg's issues, i spent way too much time and money.

This is proved by... and the fact that changing glasses is not related to the colourbug issues.
ld950 and original glasses having colourbug, original glaases + edid overide and no colourbug for interleaved!
pz550 plasma, 2 original pairs of active glasses and checkerboard colourbug
450u 8 pairs of passive glasses, 6 lg party and 2 normal and colourbug

Sorry, thanks for the info but no.

Last edited:
This is proved by... and the fact that changing glasses is not related to the colourbug issues.
ld950 and original glasses having colourbug, original glaases + edid overide and no colourbug for interleaved!
pz550 plasma, 2 original pairs of active glasses and checkerboard colourbug
450u 8 pairs of passive glasses, 6 lg party and 2 normal and colourbug
colourbug can be true, but ghosting effect works differently on glasses from different vendors, so quality and brand do make a difference too.

colourbug can be true, but ghosting effect works differently on glasses from different vendors, so quality and brand do make a difference too.

Yes they do but still it has nothing todo with the colourbug what so ever.

I never thought of testing this or i do'nt know if it has allready been tested but somebody gave me the idea.
It's confirmed the bugs are on pc, bluray players or any external media player.
Has anybody tested crysis 2 or a game that supports interleaved on a xbox or ps3?
I can't test this anymore as i have no lg .

Well just treated myself to another tv, the 47lk950u sounded good as it had a 2.4ms response time which is better for films than my tosh, it allso means gaming has less blurring also but again, this tv has the colourbug which is fixed via a edid mod but then still has the clear ghosting associated with lg's 2011 3dtv's, obviously this can be fixed for interleaved but at the added cost of added lag which is a game killer, the lag is so bad it's laughable compared to me tosh!

Stil happy with my purchase though as films do look better on a lower 2.4ms response time, and that's what this tv is for ;)

I seem to have good news for interleaved 3d with a pc input :)
This is tested as working with a 47lk950u 100% everytime!
The old 42lw450u allso had this bug but it seemed to work when it wanted, i think i was forgetting a major factor as if i do not do it in sequence the bug does'nt work.
It's was reported by me and a few other users that every now and again the sharpness settings from a none " pc label " would be carried over when enabling a " pc label " giving 99% working zero lag interleaved 3d.

I have confirmed the following many times and will get a youtube video up tomoz proving this super bug, as it was possible on a lw450u it may be possible on any lg set.

For a nvidia card you will need a edid mod with zero extension bloc as this will clear the colour ghosting.
As amd reads lg's faulty edid? even worse than nvidia then you will not need a edid mod as you will only have the clear ghosting?

1) First change your isf expert and game sharpness setting in the none PC LABEL to clear the clear ghosting, i choose a label to my right wich is hd dvd (not game label ).

2) start your 3d game so you can see the clear ghosting dissapear ;),once this is done change back to PC LABEL!!!!

3)Select GAME mode with AV button on tv controller!!!!!!!!!!

4) Press input on controller and select dvd hd or what ever is the next label from pc label, i choose a none game label, use a label directly next to pc label!

5)Press menu on tv controller and goto display setings or what ever it's acalled for you and select your pre made isf expert setting, NOTICE the clear ghosting dissapear.

6) Press exit on controller

7) Press input and change back to pc label, should be one press of left or right ;), NOTICE if you are lucky you are now have a lesser lag pc label and clear ghosting is cleared up 99% making games 100% playable :)

I've turned the tv on and off many times, this method of exact button presses creates a carry over of settings bug or something along those lines.

Last edited:
As promised here is the video of the fix for pc label and interleaved ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom