The Official LG LW980T Full LED NANO 3DTV Thread Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still not sure yet, still weighing up the pro's and con's. Although a large part of my decision will be determined by LG's official response to how they are going to rectify the issues, especially around the Local Dimming (thus the dimming zones). I do not expect a TV of this price tag and supposed stature in there TV range to have issues like this. I still have a little time left so just going to see what happens for now. I also have a few call's in to LG CS but they never actually seem to call back :-(

Cheers
Simon

Yes I agree depends on LG UK,s actions, BTW did you buy yours from Currys?

I think that's a wise decision. U probably won't mind any shortcomings of the tv at that much lower price. After all, whether any owner spots the issues with the 980 any less or more than my own results, I'm sure we're all in agreement the 980 is way over-priced as it is now.
Your point about saving the money u would have spent on the 980 for a future tv is what I'm doing too. But I may be waiting a bit longer for a 55" OLED :D

Morning yuthe :D,

I think johhny has done the right thing too, Its such a shame that this 980T was not up to the price tag on performance,
I have always been fond of the 'LG Way' and always have had great customer service even if they couldn't help with many problems.
I think LG are quite innovative and stylish, just need that extra QC and build spec and i'm sure things could be great:).
To be honest its not just this instance of missing spec with LG, Its pretty widespead. I often was wowed with the latest and greats m/cycles and when they eventually arrived at dealers there were lots of promised bits and pieces missing which often led to great dissapointment, Same with motors too, We ordered a new Focus back in 04 which was supposed to have an electric front windscreen demister, turns out it didnt :rolleyes:.

Cheers
M:smashin:rtin

wastedyuthe said:
Thanks for checking guys.

Whether it's better or worse, to me it shouldn't be there at all. I even spotted banding throughout Emmerdale last night (yes I know- sad :D ). Apologies for no photo's last night- it was a very early night for me- i must have needed to catch up on some zzz's.

We watched Ice Age 3 3D last night, and I spotted a little banding- nothing too bad to be honest. But the end credits, with the white text, and characters dancing or flying around a black background, looked quite bad with the halo'ing. Large area's of grey behind the characters and text. Great blacks otherwise.

With all I said above taken into account, I completely agree. But while it has these issues, I can understand u having to think hard about it. We must all remember there is so much to like about this tv, as mentioned. If I had hardly noticed the banding, to be honest I'd still be contemplating keeping it by now.

It seems like you're willing to keep one expensive tv with issues over another expensive tv with issues. Have u thought about plasma? Ok, some have reported issues (haven't all tv's?) but at least u have a lot better chance of a uniform image, and the price is SO much cheaper. I'm only paying £1k for the 6900, so I'll be refunded £1,799 from the 980, and still have a 51" tv to watch. Which, if it is a keeper, should do me till OLED becomes an option.

I am thinking the same now and will take a look at the 6900 today at JL. Is this Samsungs top plasma model?

guess what? Ive cancelled my order and got myself a 47LW4500 nothing special but good enough to wait 'till CES 2012.
Lets see of these new LM9600 are better then the LW980 series...

Apart from the LAN and Smart TV, is this TV any different from 47LW550?

I think johhny has done the right thing too, Its such a shame that this 980T was not up to the price tag on performance,
I have always been fond of the 'LG Way' and always have had great customer service even if they couldn't help with many problems.
I think LG are quite innovative and stylish, just need that extra QC and build spec and i'm sure things could be great:).

Morning Martin :)

Yes these tv's always look stunning on the pre-release marketing and yet can be such a disappointment once u get past the design and onto quality.

The 980 is such a double-edge sword- it can be a thing of beauty at times, especially with animated movies. Yet at other times, it looks like it's not worth £200 let alone £2000.

I actually really like the idea of a tiny bezel and do like the look of next years LG's, but I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole now. I've learnt my lesson with the D8000 LCD and now the 980t.

Thanks for checking
It seems like you're willing to keep one expensive tv with issues over another expensive tv with issues. Have u thought about plasma? Ok, some have reported issues (haven't all tv's?) but at least u have a lot better chance of a uniform image, and the price is SO much cheaper. I'm only paying £1k for the 6900, so I'll be refunded £1,799 from the 980, and still have a 51" tv to watch. Which, if it is a keeper, should do me till OLED becomes an option.

When i came to my reseller, i've looked Sony's LCD, Samsung's LCD and Toshiba's VT30 Plasma.

Samsung hasn't impressed me, i have more detail and back light is much higher on my 55LW980s.

Sony was near the same, but 3D is not at the same level... and it cost £500 more than my LG.

Toshiba's plasma recalled me my old CRT TV... but i was very surprised by the low brightness on plasma, i can't imagine how it will be in my very bright living room....
Ok SD are better because plasma render image like full anti-aliasing, but miss precision... i prefer very sharp image from LCD, especially IPS panels.

Finally Banding and Halo happen so few time that we can't stop on this small problem.

Last edited:
I am thinking the same now and will take a look at the 6900 today at JL. Is this Samsungs top plasma model?

No, the D8000 plasma is a higher one which has a few extra features such as the ability to access the internet, arc, and an extra black filter to help with ambient lights above the tv. None of which bother me (my lighting is usually the one behind the tv). So I decided to go for the cheaper but still reportedly great model in case something else comes out next year.

When i came to my reseller, i've looked Sony's LCD, Samsung's LCD and Toshiba's VT30 Plasma.

Samsung hasn't impressed me, i have more detail and back light is much higher on my 55LW980s.

Sony was near the same, but 3D is not at the same level... and it cost £500 more than my LG.

Toshiba's plasma recalled me my old CRT TV... but i was very surprised by the low brightness on plasma, i can't imagine how it will be in my very bright living room....
Ok SD are better because plasma render image like full anti-aliasing, but miss precision... i prefer very sharp image from LCD, especially IPS panels.

Finally Banding and Halo happen so few time that we can't stop on this small problem.

Samsung LCD didn't impress me either with regards to banding, however the D8000 did have superb blacks and brightness during daylight. Easily comparable to the 980t in my opinion.

I don't know how Toshiba's plasma's compare to Samsung's plasma's, but it's good u have looked at all your alternatives available to u. Good luck with what ever u decide mate.

I agree about the brightness - I haven't needed to have the backlight any higher than 70 on my 980T during the day which is great because I have it in a bright room. At night I knock this back to about 50. I could never get this amount of "oomph" with my plasma.

An interesting review of the lw980s from FullHD.gr (my google translate doesn't work for some reason so please do it manually). Of course he finds all the shortcomings that we know but he claims with a bit of calibration and LD at low the poor blacks can improve. Can anybody try his settings and report if any of the problems are improved???

Bear in mind that his TV is a Korean one but still the LD block seem to be the same size like the Pollish ones. He also does a test to exagerate the zones and he finds two layers of Haloing zones one active and one passive. There are photos for everything. The passive probabaly due to the Nano filter.

Guys have a read and tell us if anything can be improved with his settings.

I agree about the brightness - I haven't needed to have the backlight any higher than 70 on my 980T during the day which is great because I have it in a bright room. At night I knock this back to about 50. I could never get this amount of "oomph" with my plasma.

Coming from plasma land myself I totally agree about the 'oomph' the 980 delivers :thumbsup:
The extra brightness and sharpness of the picture really makes a difference specially during daytime viewing. Also makes 3D films look awesome and IMO along with no crosstalk or flickering makes for the best 3D viewing experience out there :thumbsup:
You need to spend quite a bit of time tinkering with the settings to get the PQ just how you want but once you have.... WOW!!! Great TV :thumbsup:

Last edited:
An interesting review of the lw980s from FullHD.gr (my google translate doesn't work for some reason so please do it manually). Of course he finds all the shortcomings that we know but he claims with a bit of calibration and LD at low the poor blacks can improve. Can anybody try his settings and report if any of the problems are improved???

Bear in mind that his TV is a Korean one but still the LD block seem to be the same size like the Pollish ones. He also does a test to exagerate the zones and he finds two layers of Haloing zones one active and one passive. There are photos for everything. The passive probabaly due to the Nano filter.

Guys have a read and tell us if anything can be improved with his settings.

I don't think any of us have had problems with the blacks with the local dimming on low, and haloing isn't too big a deal then either but the banding is terrible.

With local dimming on medium, the haloing is terrible, the banding less but still bad for this price tv.

Personally I think the backlight on 30 is too dull as well especially with how reflective the screen is.

His review only seems to mention the haloing problem and not the banding problem.

Of course he finds all the shortcomings that we know but he claims with a bit of calibration and LD at low the poor blacks can improve. Can anybody try his settings and report if any of the problems are improved???

Poor blacks are only the case with LD off. With LD on, the blacks are inky black (bar the halo'd areas behind objects of course- to be expected with LD).

LD on Medium seems to be the preferred setting by many here, including myself. Not only do u get inky blacks, but banding is also reduced compared to LD on low (of course the banding is non-existent with LD off altogether, but then the blacks suffer). And with LD on Medium, only a slight amount of shadow detail is lost- nothing to be concerned about.

I don't think any of us have had problems with the blacks with the local dimming on low, and haloing isn't too big a deal then either but the banding is terrible.

With local dimming on medium, the haloing is terrible, the banding less but still bad for this price tv.

Personally I think the backlight on 30 is too dull as well especially with how reflective the screen is.

His review only seems to mention the haloing problem and not the banding problem.

Backlight at 30 I would only use in dark room viewing, normally I have it at about 50 for daytime

Refund agreed on the grounds that the TV was mis-sold, being picked up tomorrow.

Turns out my mum hated how reflective it was and would of happily returned it for that matter alone. With CES being only two months away, I might as well just wait for that and see what goodies are coming out next year.

wastedyuthe said:
I think that's a wise decision. U probably won't mind any shortcomings of the tv at that much lower price. After all, whether any owner spots the issues with the 980 any less or more than my own results, I'm sure we're all in agreement the 980 is way over-priced as it is now.
Your point about saving the money u would have spent on the 980 for a future tv is what I'm doing too. But I may be waiting a bit longer for a 55" OLED :D

well lets see what 2012 brings us, it would be nice if they bring out the 55" oled then Im sure we'll take that one....
And like you say I dont mind any of the shortcomings and for now the only shortcomming is the lan/internet thingy,
as we got a synology DS411 with dlna and plex, would be nice to stream my movies to the tele....

the picture quality is very good, watch 3d yesterday and it blew us away.... so one happy family here and up to next year :)

panman40 said:

To be honest its not just this instance of missing spec with LG, Its pretty widespead. I often was wowed with the latest and greats m/cycles and when they eventually arrived at dealers there were lots of promised bits and pieces missing which often led to great dissapointment, Same with motors too, We ordered a new Focus back in 04 which was supposed to have an electric front windscreen demister, turns out it didnt :rolleyes:.

Cheers
M:smashin:rtin

thanks Martin.
and I still believe in LG like you've said they're innoative and stylish to and like I said before the quality of this LW4500 is pretty good.
So lets see what they will do next year I hope they've learned a lesson....

wastedyuthe said:
No, the D8000 plasma is a higher one which has a few extra features such as the ability to access the internet, arc, and an extra black filter to help with ambient lights above the tv. None of which bother me (my lighting is usually the one behind the tv). So I decided to go for the cheaper but still reportedly great model in case something else comes out next year.

Samsung LCD didn't impress me either with regards to banding, however the D8000 did have superb blacks and brightness during daylight. Easily comparable to the 980t in my opinion.

I don't know how Toshiba's plasma's compare to Samsung's plasma's, but it's good u have looked at all your alternatives available to u. Good luck with what ever u decide mate.

Thanks for feedback are you having or had the D6900 professionally calibrated.
I read this can get the picture for this model looking very good.

sapbwstudent said:
Apart from the LAN and Smart TV, is this TV any different from 47LW550?

I dont think there's any difference between them
I actualy use the calibration settings from the LW 5600 I guess they're almost the same untill the LW650 series
cause that one has 200hz while all the others got 100hz.

they only thing different as we could see yesterday was the option of smart tv and lan/dlna

even the 200hz of the lw650 doesnt seem to make thatof a difference to justify the €400 in price difference... :)

so for a tv that would be ending in our bedroom next year as the new series come out it has all the futures we need, as we can play a movie
from USB cause it does have a mediaplayer on board....

http://3d-tvbuyingguide.com/lg-3d-tv/lg-55lw5600-p2.html#page2

I know you mean "web browser", because both D8000 & D6900 have access to the internet (for iplayer etc..)

Hi Guys,

Here is our official response from HQ:

Claims that the same model TVs sold in Europe is of lower quality or contains fewer dimming blocks than the TVs sold in Asia are unsubstantiated and false. The LG 55LW980 with 96 local dimming blocks is the same around the world. The confusion seems to be originating from the fact that the LG 55LW950, which was only sold in Korea, contained 288 dimming blocks. The LEX8 also contained 288 dimming blocks.

The reason behind the differences in the number of dimming blocks has to do with the fact that the LW980 and LW950 use different technologies to generate 3D images. The LW980 utilizes film patterned retarder (FPR) while the LW950 relied on shutter glasses technology. Although there are fewer dimming blocks in the newer LW980, the fact is that overall BLU brightness has been enhanced from 6,200nit to 8,700nit in the LW980.

LG apologises to any journalists who were given the incorrect information and specifications for the LW980. This was due to an innocent communication mix-up during the model’s transition from LW950 to LW980 in the market. All spec sheets have been corrected.

Hope this clears up the mistake we made and once again i'd like to personally apologise for any posts that suggested we had 288 zones over the 96.

Thanks for the information Dave. Are LG proposing to do anything for the LW980 owners that purchased the set based on the 288 Zone specs, apart from offer an apology ?

Thanks for the information Dave. Are LG proposing to do anything for the LW980 owners that purchased the set based on the 288 Zone specs, apart from offer an apology ?

Hi, that decision is down to each subsidiary service department, i'm afraid we don't have an official position on that kind of thing just yet in the UK. Apologies.

LG UK said:
Hi Guys,

Here is our official response from HQ:

Claims that the same model TVs sold in Europe is of lower quality or contains fewer dimming blocks than the TVs sold in Asia are unsubstantiated and false. The LG 55LW980 with 96 local dimming blocks is the same around the world. The confusion seems to be originating from the fact that the LG 55LW950, which was only sold in Korea, contained 288 dimming blocks. The LEX8 also contained 288 dimming blocks.

The reason behind the differences in the number of dimming blocks has to do with the fact that the LW980 and LW950 use different technologies to generate 3D images. The LW980 utilizes film patterned retarder (FPR) while the LW950 relied on shutter glasses technology. Although there are fewer dimming blocks in the newer LW980, the fact is that overall BLU brightness has been enhanced from 6,200nit to 8,700nit in the LW980.

LG apologises to any journalists who were given the incorrect information and specifications for the LW980. This was due to an innocent communication mix-up during the model’s transition from LW950 to LW980 in the market. All spec sheets have been corrected.

Hope this clears up the mistake we made and once again i'd like to personally apologise for any posts that suggested we had 288 zones over the 96.

Hi Dave,

I appreciate the explanation of why the set has the lower number of zones but what this doesn't cover is what you are doing about the excessive haloing and banding we have all witnessed. If the 97/72 zones is by design (and technical merit) how are LG going to solve and rectify this (to be honest this should have been picked up before it went to market). This is not something that visual experts are only spotting but something that is apparent to anyone watching the set!

Many Thanks
Simon

Thanks for reply LG Dave, but what about those of us who purchased the set because of the 288 zones? So LG admit the previous model had 288 zones, still unhappy with state of the art flagship TV having only 96 zones regardless of brightness or Passive 3D retarder. I still consider I was miss sold this TV and clearly LG's response although Apologetic is Like it or Lump it. What about the .11 firmware being pulled surely an answer should be available by now? guess my only re-course now is to contact the retailer which is a shame as it no fault of theres. So dissapointed with LG's response and still find it difficult to believe that the 980T was always destined to have a third of the LD zones than the previous model:thumbsdow

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom