Tim's 7.24TB "Tiddler" Unraid NAS.

All the flash does is unlock the 5th port to full SATA(2) speed, AFAIK the optical drive will run quite happily.

Might as well apply it at the outset then.

In case anyone's thinking of getting one of these the cashback runs out on 31 July, so get your order in!

Tim Cooper,

just a quick question, what your shares setup like for guest or account login?

How do you allow guest to access to movies share but they cant write?

My server came with the bios 041 dated 17/01/2011. After searching around, I can only find guides linking to the bios dated 30/09/2010 on the HP website, then stating apply the HP bios and then apply the patch.
What's the latest "AHCI modified" bios. I don't want to install the modified bios that downgrades the preinstalled bios to a older (30/09/2010) version.

Last edited:
Tim Cooper,

just a quick question, what your shares setup like for guest or account login?

How do you allow guest to access to movies share but they cant write?

All my shares are SMB Export Read/Write

My server came with the bios 041 dated 17/01/2011. After searching around, I can only find guides linking to the bios dated 30/09/2010 on the HP website, then stating apply the HP bios and then apply the patch.
What's the latest "AHCI modified" bios. I don't want to install the modified bios that downgrades the preinstalled bios to a older (30/09/2010) version.

The updated BIOS gave you nothing of note over the BIOS in my build log.
Do a search on it:smashin:
Alternatively at the bottom of my BIOS log is a link to the new BIOS & another hack, be aware though i cannot vouch for these.

Thanks Tim, I've updated the bios now and created a guide. Thanks to the guide at the start of this thread and a member named ThunderbirdMoz @ Overclockers Australia Forums - View Single Post - HP ProLiant MicroServer Owners Club!

I've updated the firmware to the "modified" version, This is a guide created by ThunderbirdMoz @ overclockers.com.au but I've changed it slightly.

My proliant already had the bios dated 01.17.2011 preinstalled from factory, so I didn't want to reinstall the same firmware again. Thus, I used a different and simpler method of applying the update once, by renaming the latest (hacked) bios O41_AHCI.ROM to O41011711.ROM and booting the HP with USB. With this method you don't need to create and run AHCI.bat batch file to apply the patched firmware. After the update my bios date didn't change from 01.17.2011.

If your server has the firmware dated 01.17.2011 already installed, this guide will be useful. If you have a firmware with different/older date use the guide at the beginning of this thread or use ThunderbirdMoz guide linked below.

You can view the original ThunderbirdMoz guide here.

Disclaimer: this method has worked for me, but like any other hacks do this at your own risk.

1. Get the latest HP firmware (SP52016.exe) that can be patched dated 2011.01.17 (A) (28 Feb 2011).

2. Execute the official HP firmware (SP52016.exe)

3. Run the HTM file start.htm, click on the link "Launch HP USB key Setup Creation Utility". The HP USB creation utility "HPQUSB.exe" will run and select your usb stick as the target.

unled2ui.jpg

4. Get the "modified" bios that soarer_gt has put up: http://www.kiiku.com/ocau/HP_N36L/BIOS_UPDATE_ACHI/UPDATE_BIOS_041/O41_AHCI.ROM
and put it onto your usb stick.

5. Rename the original O41011711.ROM to something else (pointed by red arrow in picture).

6. Rename the O41_AHCI.ROM to O41011711.ROM (pointed by green arrow in picture). Leave all other files unchanged. After steps 5 & 6 are carried out, your USB should look like this.

unled3gj.jpg

7. Close and boot the HP proliant with the usb stick plugged in.

8. It should automatically update the HP with the latest "modified" firmware in one step.

9. When it is done and it is prompting you for input. Remove the usb stick and reboot the Proliant.

10. Press F10 to get into the bios and go to "chipset" then "SB Sata configuration" and set "SATA IDE combined mode" to disabled. Save and reboot.

You can check that the patch was successful by comparing with the last 3 pics here.

Last edited:
Cheers matey,

I've modified the BIOS log & linked your instructions as above :)

I just came across this thread by accident and just wanted to say thank you for the guide and to warn anybody else who is interested that the £100 cash back offer ends on the 31st so get in quick if you want one. Now I just need to have a read up on unRAID and decide if I want to use that or another OS.

Quick question as I don't think this has been mentioned in the thread but was there a specific reason for getting a 2GB USB stick or would any do so long as it'll fit into the server?

Quick question as I don't think this has been mentioned in the thread but was there a specific reason for getting a 2GB USB stick or would any do so long as it'll fit into the server?

No reason for the 2gb stick just a good price, i would advise though that you buy a decent stick the recommendations are on the Unraid site.

Mine arrived this morning and now it's time for a play :)

Another tip for you OSX users, using terminal I couldn't get the 'screen' command to work. You have to first type TERM=xterm then press enter. Then screen will work

Wish I'd have noticed this yesterday:blush:

Hello everyone,
Just joined.
Been looking for a backup to my Synology CS406e and found this thread.
A perfect solution me thinks but only if the Microserver can take a full compliment of Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 7200rpm drives.
My finger is hovering over the Buy button on Crescent site.
Advise please.
My setup is:
MacPro - 2008 (Dual boot with Vista)
MacBook - 2008
An XP laptop and tower.
Main use will be to store raw video & RAW photos before processing and well as backup
Cheers,
GeoffH
Norfolk UK not VA

Hello Tim,
Thanks for the quick response.
Just the answer I needed.
Yes I will be using Unraid.
Have ordered the Microserver, delivery in 2/3 days.
Now to get the other bits mentioned in this thread.
May buy a second unit once I've fitted everything just to future proof backup.
HDDs are becoming commodity items now, with prices to match.
Cheers
Geoff - sunny Norfolk for once, but not for long :-(

Whist I wait for the unit to arrive, I would like to order all the bits and pieces.
Reading through the posts has just muddled my brain, and with cancer treatment it isn't taking much.
Can't believe it, having built all my systems, except for the Macs, in the past.
Does anyone have a difinitive list and/or suggestions with suppliers please.
Trying to make sense of the memory requirement is giving me a headache :) I would like to add enough for future expansion of use.
Have to take advantage whilst SHMBO is away on holiday - aah peace.
Cheers
Geoff - not so sunny Norfolk. Couldn't last.

The memory & the SATA cables came from Ebay.
The Icy Dock & HDD's came from Scan.
The USB memory stick came from Kikatek.

With regards to memory i used a 1 gig stick obtained off Ebay which exactly matched the 1 gig already fitted.

You could fit ordinary unbuffered/unregistered non ECC DDR3 RAM but you will have to remove the existing stick which is buffered/registered ECC DDR3 RAM.

HTH.

Last edited:
Thanks Tim.
Box arrived this morning - wow only ordered yesterday but not on Next Day
No invoice that I can see but haven't unpacked yet, as I need to make room in the 'office'
Will try and make a video of this project, but don't hold breath as treatment has really floored me this time.
Too many projects!
Geoff - Norfolk Suffolk border, sunshine didn't last

Had two of these arrive yesterday. Sent off claim form and got an email this afternoon confirming cashback.

Both servers have been updated with hacked bios and I have 2 USB sticks setup with Unraid ready. Going to put 6 drives in each so will be paying for plus licenses tomorrow.

Server one has had it's memory upgraded to 2GB using the stick from server 2. I already have a spare sata cable and a molex to 2 sata power connector. At the weekend, I'll be buying 6 2TB F4s and a esata to sata cable.

Server 2 will require 2GB ECC memory, esata to sata cable, and a molex to 2 sata power connector. I already have a spare sata cable. I'll pick these bits up at the weekend as well. As for drives, I have 6 2TB drives already with data on. I'll be moving most of the data to server one and using the disks in this server. I will be keeping 2, maybe 3 drives off line so will probably end up buying 3-4 new 2TB drives. This server can wait until the disks have been freed up.

I am now tempted to buy another 2 as spare since they are so cheap at the moment. I could use them to hold offline data and only boot them up as needed. It would mean that I'll have redundancy which I won't be getting with the remaining offline disks. But then what is the likelyhood of rarely used disks failing and is the data worth the extra outlay? Decisions, Decisions!
Server 2 will requ

Anyone had any problems connecting to a network?

I followed the unraid setup and copied over all the files to a Lexar usb stick, put it in the HP proliant and started the server. I get to the prompt (Tower Login) and type root. When I check the network settings there is no ip address. The server is not showing up in the attached devices page of the router and if I try to ping the router I get the message "network unreachable."
I changed the network.cfg file to have a static ip address but still not working.

I have noticed just above the prompt there are the following messages;
"/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf: line18: /boot/config/network.cfg : No such file or directory"
"/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf: line19: /var/tmp/network.cfg : No such file or directory"
The file and directory do exist

I have checked the network cable and it is ok as a laptop works when plugged in.

If anyone could shed any light on this problem it would be appreciated.

Edit - Never mind, finally solved it after much head scratching

Last edited:
Glad you sorted it :) What was the problem BTW?

The network.cfg file was being corrupted, although I still don't how. I formatted the usb drive several times and re-installed the unraid software. Had it happened once I could have understood it, but to happen every time?? I downloaded the zip file again and used a different laptop but still had the same problem. I had to unzip the original file and copy the network.cfg file from there and overwrite the one the usb drive. Not altogether sure why that worked but it did.

I found the solution on the unraid forum as there was a guy who had exactly the same problem. He had edited his file to use a static ip address and the text editor he used had not used the correct format, something to do with ms-dos carriage returns. His solution was to use the method described above but I wasn't confident this would solve my problem as I hadn't edited the file originally.

I can now get on with setting it up.

Hello Stu,
Ditto what Tim asked.
Being new to this Unraid lark, would like details of how you solved the problem.
Cheers
Geoff - Warmer Norfolk/Suffolk border

Thanks Stu.
I didn't refresh browser so didn't see your response to Tim's request.
Geoff.

Thanks Stu.
I didn't refresh browser so didn't see your response to Tim's request.
Geoff.

Hopefully you won't need it. This doesn't seem to be a widespread problem which is why I missed the thread on the unraid forum the first time around.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom