Asus Eee Pad Transformer

... except for when i'm on AVF.. s reasonably snappy.. its the lag in painting the text to the avf edit window..
Which AVforum style are you using? Try the older "Style 2005-2010" from the drop down box (bottom left of the page).

I'm very interested in this device, could someone comment on the Asus overlay on top of honeycomb i.e. is there an overlay? Does it detract from the honeycomb experience?

Sorry if this sounds like a cop out, but it really depends on what you're after.. spec and cost-wise, compared to what i've heard about the Xoom(although i've not seen one in the flesh), i'd definitely stick with my Transformer..

..vs the ipad however, i guess its what you think about the differences between apples approach and googles.. whether a relative lack of dedicated tablet apps (for now) is an issue; how you feel about apples 'walled garden'; concerns about android fragmentation and honeycomb software updates.. and so on..

For me? I'm willing to give google a try this time round, i think this is a solid bit of kit with a lot of potential :)

Did you actually go to bed last night or were you playing with your new toy all night ?
I've pretty much made my mind up to get the Transformer (don't like calling it an Eee pad). Price, quality of display (which I think is most important), hard drive size, oh and that keyboard.
The only thing that worries me is talk that when Google makes any updates to honeycomb that only certain tablets will get the update. I don't really understand how the android updating system works though. I assumed it was the same as microsoft updating windows - every pc gets it irrespective of manufacturer.

Last edited:
Did you actually go to bed last night or were you playing with your new toy all night ?
I've pretty much made my mind up to get the Transformer (don't like calling it an Eee pad). Price, quality of display (which I think is most important), hard drive size, oh and that keyboard.
The only thing that worries me is talk that when Google makes any updates to honeycomb that only certain tablets will get the update. I don't really understand how the android updating system works though. I assumed it was the same as microsoft updating windows - every pc gets it irrespective of manufacturer.
[/I]

I think it is yet to be confirmed - but is along the lines of Google Android smartphones - and Microsoft's Window 7 Phones - where when an update becomes available, the roll out is not all at the same time.

Although in the case of phones, I thought it was down to the mobile network - not the manufacturers themselves.

It does seem to possibly be down to the uptake by manufacturers with tablets though - but I'd love some confirmation that when Google 3.0 Honeycomb, becomes Google 4.0 Bacon Sarnie (sorry, fancy one just now :D) then this would be upgraded, and not risk becoming obsolete quickly.

Google updates the Nexus devices with vanilla android, most other devices are tweaked / skinned by the manufacturers, so updates for your device are dependent on your manufacturer tweaking each new android release. Some manufacturers have a good reputation for timely updates, others not so good. Wonder how it will work out for tablets

Last edited:
So there isn't a "one size fits all" update that can be downloaded and installed ?

So there isn't a "one size fits all" update that can be downloaded and installed ?

Unfortunately, no. If Google release a 'Nexus' tablet it will receive updates first. If your tablet has been a popular selling tablet the chances are your manufacturer will release an update. In the world of mobiles, Google release the update, manufacturers tweak it, then network carriers tweak it, then it gets released.

I don't mean to put you off, I'm a big fan of Android and trying to work out which Android tablet to get :)

That's my problem. Do I go for the Asus which has allegedly had an overlay put on top of honeycomb which google isn't too pleased about or a Xoom which is pure honeycomb and was used by google whilst developing honeycomb. No prizes for guessing which tablet would get the first updates.....

Motorola don't have the best of records for updating their Android mobiles and Asus is a bit of an unknown. I'm running a custom rom on my desire HD and I'm hoping a healthy dev scene develops for tablets too

The was some concern that asus would skin the transformer in the same manner as HTC with their phones..meaning any Honeycomb updates would hace to wait until the vendor released an upadate compatible with their overlay/skin.. however it seems as though our transformers are running stock android, so updates may come sooner.. and yep, i was up pretty late :D

Which AVforum style are you using? Try the older "Style 2005-2010" from the drop down box (bottom left of the page).

Good suggestion.. trying it now and its a shade quicker, but still doesnt feel right compared to doing the same thing on the ipad.. :-(

trying with firefox now and much much faster text input..looks like its Chrome itself in this scenario..

trying with firefox now and much much faster text input..looks like its Chrome itself in this scenario..

Great to hear, I'm a long time firefox user so this will do nicely. I hope they put out my favourite add-ons soon.

gues it won't hurt to have two browsers but a little disappointing all the same.. i wonder why?

Ive been looking into the buying the Asus EP121 Windows Slate but now ive seen this i may have changed my mind

just one thing has stopped me ordering

can i attach a 2.5 inch external hard drive to the keyboard dock........

1. Will it power the drive
2. Which format does it support NTFS or Fat
3. Does my media need to be converted to mp4 for playback

many thanks to who can answer this

Thats gonna be a tough one to answer as there are no docks available.. but from what I read about the dock with its built in battery, it may well be able to act as usb host for an external hdd.. and for compatibility, i would hazard a guess that FAT32 will be supported..

As for converting video files, i think media players like rock player will handle DivX/xvid without the need to convert to MP4

Thanks for the info so far. Any news on the battery duration between charges ?.

still testing that one.. speaking of which, does anyone know why on the battery usage settings page its showing 'battery usage data not available' ?

Another day, another new thing.. just 'discovered' Thumb keyboard.. and mightily impressed i am so far :)

Takes a little getting used to, but seriously customisable and the weird split keyboard design really does work for when you're holding the tab and thumb typing.. have got my keyboard set to 90% screen height too.. which reclaims a bit more screen real estate. On the strength of using it so far. Recommended!

Thanks for the regular updates JMS_UK. I keep looking for snippets of info from people who already have the transformer while I wait for mine from amazon.
So keep them coming.....

No worries... its a slow morning here today, so I thought I'd post a few more thoughts :)

Follow-up thoughts

Ok, so I've had a good chance to play over the weekend and tweak it etc. First off I would maintain that its not as "out-of-the-box" as an IPad, so the geeks/techies among us will have no problems.. but joe-average may be a little put off. I guess that's down to Google to tweak and refine, but the die is cast for this version of Honeycomb and I doubt many of the "core" things that aren't glaringly obvious or simple, will be changed.. that's not a bad thing, but it is worth a consideration..

Battery life. Awesome - as good as my ipad 1 for sure.. and I've found that the chargers can be used on each device but they will only trickle charge. So using the small ipad mains charger will charge the Transformer (if the screen is left off).. and the Transformer's psu will charge the ipad - again, slowly

Screen. Some light bleed unfortunately (this is also being reported by other users on XDA forums/Modaco etc) - not a deal breaker, but it is there.. admittedly only noticable when using at night... Still great images though. The fingerprint magnet screen continues to be a pain but c'est la vie! Kind of in two minds about whether to get a screen protector (when they become available). It would certainly reduce the fingerprints, but that gorilla glass is on there for a reason and it'd be a shame to have to bypass it

Cases. REALLY want a Yoobao style case now. I've got one on my ipad and love it - sure, it adds a bit to the weight but the extra "bulk" actually helps me to hold it a bit more securely. The same would be true if the asus had one I reckon - and DEFINITELY when typing for longer periods.. its soooo easy to put the Yoobao into "stand" mode and type.

I'm hoping to get a keyboard dock (have now heard back from [email protected], and paid for my dock - late/end May delivery apparently) :( But can't see myself getting it out and docking the tablet every time I wanted to type something, here for example.. or in a GTalk session.

Going to try and send Yoobao an email registering my interest - perhaps others here could do the same?? :)

Browsing
Great overall. Bit narked that some sites don't work smoothly (AVF text entry as mentioned in an earlier post), but at least there's Firefox as an alternative... and despite NOT missing Flash when casual surfing on my ipad.. it is finally really nice to be able to have it available when browsing on a tablet.

Downloading/opening files and attachments are a lot more like a desktop experience rather than the Goodreader/Dropbox cludge you have to work with on the ipad. Again, not world changing but a refreshing change on a tablet device :)

Multitasking
In a word, awesome! iOS4 brought a better implentation to the ipad, and I found myself making use of it.. in Honeycomb its just so much more seamless! Using it, you wonder how you ever did without it... In GTalk, then you wanna check something on the web.. a couple of clicks.. boom! Then back to GTalk.. easy.. :D

UI Tweakability and stuff
Never gets boring. Nice to have at-a-glance info with widgets.. again, not game changing but it does alter your workflow (for the better), in the way you interact with the tablet..

Apps
Everyone's probably waiting for the volume of quality apps to increase. Its nice that older apps scale so well for the most part (and when they work) However there's more than enough out there already.. got most of the bases covered with alternatives/equivalents to apps that I use on the ipad every day. Some more games would be nice, but not a deal breaker really

Google DO need to sort out that market place though. Its a bit of a street bazaar feel, and the search results (for the worlds leading seach company) are a bit haphazzard

Video
Nice to be able to just plug it into a PC and dump video files straight on (I'm looking at you ITunes!). Have installed the free MoboPlayer and Rock Player - both seem to work fine with DivX/XViDs so far.. not really interested in whether it deals with 1080p content as I simply don't see the point on such a small screen.. I appreciate that others want it because they don't want to have to re-encode to a lower resolution, but for me personally.. its not an issue.

And that about wraps up my second set of thoughts.. I'll bow out with a few recommended apps (taken from suggestions etc.)

File managers/System Apps:
Astro File Manager (although the SMB module crashes with an FC)
Columnar
** NEW (for me) *** Wyse Pocket Cloud Free (great Remote Desktop app.. free version only lets you keep one connection but just tried it and it is
much nicer than the RDP Free on iOS - you get a decent remote keyboard implementation AND stuff we take for granted like right
mouse click etc.. - quite impressed) :)

Desktop Widgets:
Circle Launcher (Free)
Beautiful Widgets
Widgetsoid 2.x
Gauge Battery Widget
Ext Date Widget
Wifi Signal Widget

Productivity:
Thumbkeyboard
Calendar Pad (Free)

Browsing/Comms:
Firefox

Media:
Rockplayer Free
Mobo Player

Last edited:
**EDIT** I can also confirm that the memory card slot works just fine (I tried it with an 8Gb MicroSD card from my HTC Desire).. additionally, have had no problems with video chat over GTalk (I know there were a few concerns posted elsewhere about the call quality).. The Skype app for mobiles is still kinda gimped at the moment, so GTalk is the only game in town for video chat at the moment

Also, had to send a 2nd email to [email protected] as for some reason I never got a reply from the email sent after COB on Friday.. the 2nd email however, got me a reply within minutes - with the same attachment containing payment instructions as Deus_Ex received :smashin:

Last edited:
I too have this device (my second one as the camera didnt work on the first one). Not impressed with the pre-installed Mynet app. It doesnt even see most of my media files let alone play them (vital/rockplayer does the job though). As for it's DLNA capability, I would love to know if someone manages to use Mynet to stream from their NAS TO the Asus.

Also, anyone using a 32gb class 6 or even class 10 without any issues?

Haven't ordered a card as i don't need the space yet.. but it sure is nice to have the option that's fer sure :)

Anymore feedback? Really tempted by this. Have been using an iPad 1 over the weekend and was almost going to buy an iPad 2 but as I will be using it mainly at home and for web browsing, I am not interested in apps. Therefore the Transformer looks ideal!

Does it have the horrible Asus logo on the front top left? Some screenshots have it - some don't.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom