Epson TW3200/3600 owners thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got my 3200 today! Loving it and its giving me really pleasurable pq using my HTPC with some 1080p material.

I have one problem though,red tinge on the left side, and it aint small. Strange thing is, it doesnt appear when using either dynamic or living room mode, cinema and the other ones are screwed though.

Picture comparsion:

Edit: Oh, the forum auto resizes pictures eh? Drag them into the url field for bigger pictures!

Dynamic:
IMG_0807.JPG

Cinema:
IMG_0809.JPG

However, its not that apparent in most movies (anime suffers alot more...):

Dynamic:
IMG_0789.JPG

Cinema:
IMG_0790.JPG

Dynamic:
IMG_0792.JPG

Cinema:
IMG_0793.JPG

So I guess I'll need to RMA this unit, to bad we need to send our units to the company where we bought it in order to get it exchanged in Sweden :(

Im loving it when it does what it should though! Im projecting it at 90" about ~4m away, viewing distance at 3m and I find the 90" to be the perfect size at that distance otherwise Id get seasick.

Some more pics to finish off:

IMG_0796.JPG

Wii doesnt look great, of course, but its still more fun playing it on a big screen! Jagginess on Luigi aint pretty:

IMG_0817.JPG

Killzone 3 @ PS3 looks awesome:

IMG_0813.JPG

Id like to thank JMOG and the others here who convinced me to buy this pj (its actually my first!). :thumbsup:

Keep rocking this thread, Ill try my best to contribute as well

Last edited:
Sad to hear about your issues, Kimball. But glad to hear that you otherwise like the unit. Make sense that the tinge is only visible when using Cinema. The colours of Living Room and especially Dynamic are so powerful/exxagerated that they are in effect use a lot more red than the actual tinge this making it invisible. In other words, when using a correct colour balance (=Cinema) anything wrong is easier to spot.

By the way, that Toy Story shot is a perfect exeample of how hideous Dynamic can look. It completely ruins an already very colourful movie.

Morning all,

Does anyone use a PS3 and xbox 360 with theirs? When using the PS3 via HDMI the image is very crisp and focused, but switching to xbox 360 using VGA/PC the image is quite blurry and noticably lacking in sharpness.

My 360 is one of the ye olde types with no HDMI so cannot use that type.
Anyone else noticed this?

I know HDMI was a superior standard but didn't think it would make that
much difference!!

I use both the PS3 and 360 and both are connected via HDMI.

The PS3 still looks sharper than the 360 but im playing GT5 which is a 1080p game as opposed to 720p games on the 360.
Dont get me wrong the 360 is clear for me, you just see more jaggies on it.

Sorry but i don't understand why i not able to set the HDMI range on the pj when i watch a blu-ray. The option in unselectable! Someone can help me?
Another question: the option pulldown 2:2 must be turned on or off for blu-ray and videogames?

Sorry but i don't understand why i not able to set the HDMI range on the pj when i watch a blu-ray. The option in unselectable! Someone can help me?

Sounds like you have Epson Super White ON. You can only change HDMI Range when it's OFF. Visually though it looks like turning Epson Super White ON also puts HDMI Range into Normal mode.

Another question: the option pulldown 2:2 must be turned on or off for blu-ray and videogames?

Always on. It makes 24p material playback (Blu-ray) more smooth with less judder. With 30p and 60p material it doesn't do anything.

Morning all,

Does anyone use a PS3 and xbox 360 with theirs? When using the PS3 via HDMI the image is very crisp and focused, but switching to xbox 360 using VGA/PC the image is quite blurry and noticably lacking in sharpness.

I have the same Xbox 360 model as yours and am using component. Yes, when using analog connections the output of the Xbox is noticeably less sharp than the HDMI of the PS3. The reason you didn't notice this on your telly is purely due to the size. It wasn't big enough for you to see. Analog versus digital matters a lot in 100".

The difference was a lot bigger before I routed my Xbox through my AV receiver which scales everything to 1080p and outputs using HDMI. So if you have that option you might get a sharper image depending on the quality of the scaling done by your receiver.

Last edited:
Thank You again Jmong :) Sorry for my questions but it is my first experience with a projector :)

No problem, Smackdown. That's what the forum is for :)

And it was actually good questions - not stuff that is self evident. There should be laws against menu options that you have no way of knowing what are.

I've updated the faq with more info about Epson Super White/HDMI Range and 2:2 pulldown.

Hi, I need to send a private message to someone regarding the TW3200 but I do not find the message "button"?

Someone help?

@Tannoy: you have to click on the name of the user that you want to write :)

@Jmong: now I have set HMDI range to normal and the pulldown 2:2 on. Thank you again ;)

I use both the PS3 and 360 and both are connected via HDMI.

The PS3 still looks sharper than the 360 but im playing GT5 which is a 1080p game as opposed to 720p games on the 360.
Dont get me wrong the 360 is clear for me, you just see more jaggies on it.

it's something to do with the texture filtering on 360.

Been through your excellent comments on the thread. As a complete projector novice, I would really appreciate your thoughts on something - in a bit of a mess :rolleyes:

I finally got hold of the 3200 a couple of days ago, but don't have a fixed installation. I was planning to use the projector once or twice a week, re-attaching the hdmi cable each time. The guy in the shop recommended a fixed installation and said the hdmi socket on the back of the 3200 could fail relatively quickly if used the way I am planning.

My possible solution is to leave a very short hdmi cable attached all the time (even when the 3200 is stored away). I could connect this to the longer hdmi cable run via an hdmi switch. This should reduce stress on the hdmi socket on the device as I wouldn't have to keep on removing and attaching the cable to the 3200. Does anyone have any thoughts on this/ is there a better solution? Am I right to be worried, or are home cinema projectors (esp Epson) ok to be used on a the way I am planning with cables being re-attached regularly????

Morning all,

I know HDMI was a superior standard but didn't think it would make that
much difference!!

use component its better than VGA

JMOG:
whats the answer to Kimballs problem. i have read a bit about red tinge.
is his faulty or does he have to live with it?

I have no red tinge problem until the moment (10h in use) so that must be faulty IMHO.

And answering josefritz, that would still make stress on the HDMI socket as its not that firm (the 3200's HDMI socket I mean), even if the HDMI is in the 3200 it can still bounce a little. I also suggest a fix installation. There are tooo many options josefritz for mounting permanently the PJ. Google is your friend. Or my simple and cheap ceiling shelf/mount is also an option with still a margin of improvisation.

Good luck!

PS: Thank you Jmog for adding my mount in the FAQ thread.

Last edited:
JMOG:
whats the answer to Kimballs problem. i have read a bit about red tinge.
is his faulty or does he have to live with it?

Seems like it needs to be RMA'd which means no pj for 1-2 weeks for me. :/

Tough luck, but it is definetely way too much red tinge to be considered normal/acceptable. I'm at 155+ hours with no image defects of any kind.

Last edited:
Hehe yup, definately, cant watch my lovely anime using cinema mode at all with this problem, and I sure as heck aint gonna pay that kind of money for a somewhat functional pj :)

After doing a lot of experiments with difference movies my opinion of Epson Super White has changed. What looks to be just a "mark down brightness a bit" setting is actually something quite clever. By switching it on/off in numerous movies with scenes that had excessive whites I see now that it's not the same as just lowering brightness. Yes, it lowers brightness, but there is a slight emphasis on the lowering of the brightness of specifically shiny white areas.

So let's say you have an image with something excessively white. Let's for comparisons sake say this image has a perceived brightness of "5". In order for the excessive white portion to look correct/pleasant you turn on Epson Super white and perceived brightness is now "4". Let's call this result "Final image".

If you instead keep Epson Super White off and just use the normal brightness setting, in order to get the same result as "Final image"... you can't! You have the tough choice of either having the excessive white bits looking as good as "Final Image" but the rest of the image having a perceived brightness of 2-3 (much too dark) or having an image with pleasant brightness but still having too excessive whites.

I hope my explanation makes sense. The gist of it: I'm now running with Epson Super White permanently. I've updated the FAQ with a much abreviated version of my ranting above. I'll move it to the section for "Best settings for optimum image" if others reach the same results as me.

Last edited:
So, time for eyecandy again :)

This time it's only one movie - Speed Racer on Blu-ray. Those of you who haven't seen it should definetely consdering picking it up since it's probably one of the most impressive visual experiences on Blu-ray and it's quite entertaining too. The movie has been out a while so it should be possible to get it for 7-8£.

There is just SO much colour in this movie:
5394481772_c0d41031a6_b.jpg

5393885209_b11ca4d2fe_b.jpg

A LOT of colour:
5393885599_128b1490c8_b.jpg

If you don't tell people you show this shot to that it's a photo of a screen with a projected image on, they will assume it's just a screengrab from a disc:
5394482070_f4d8ba325a_b.jpg

Gorgeous image quality. The TW3200 rocks:
5394482150_ae3a3f2d87_b.jpg

This image is spot on. It looks exactly like what I saw irl:
5394482358_4fd313361c_b.jpg

5394482484_37368ac6b0_b.jpg

Two of the scenes I used to test Epson Super White. No comparison shots since the difference is too subtle to catch on camera:
5393885923_0cfc9c5382_b.jpg

5394482702_e8fb03506a_b.jpg

Wow! stunning pictures Jmog...

Great pics Jmog, ill need to have a look at that film, never heard of it.

Ive clocked up 65h in 8 days so far lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom