Toshiba 32RV753/37RV753/40RV753 Owners Thread

Another new member here with hopefully a simple question for all you knowledable folk out there. Fancy getting the 40RV753 (or maybe a Samsung LE40 C580). Either way I'm not sure if these newfangled flat screen TV's are as adaptable as my old Phillips CRT. You see there are no speaker/audio outs on these new ones (just audio in). My current set is just wired up to the aux port on my hifi for that extra boost (haven't got digital surround sound!!!). Can I do something similar using one of the 40RV753's 2 scart sockets to my hifi (Samsung 49C580 only has one scart???). Just trying to save some pennies in the short term and continue to use the hifi. Thanks a bunch people.Advice on how- if possible- would be much appreciated.:confused::lease:

In reply to Daza965 post, I can confirm that the Scart will output the audio on my 32RV753 - however this only works on DTV, not when viewing one of the external sources.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the response Ryan , mine isn't a constant buzzing only when I`m changing channels the back light buzzes. Would you class that as normal or in the the same category as the fault you describing .

Should I get it replaced ??

The majority of CCFL based 37" models from Samsung, Sony, Tosh etc suffer from buzzing issues (most likely due to the panel inverter or the PSU).

Hello all

I'm somewhat new to this although learning all the time, and wondered if someone could assist....

I have recently bought and installed a LG N1T1 media server to stream to my Toshiba 32RV753DB through my home network. The TV picks up the media server and the images/music and plays them fine. The problem is with the movies which the TV can 'see' but won't play, giving a "media playback error" and stating the length to be 00:00:00. I suspect the problem is a codec issue but have not been able to find out for sure.

I wondered if:
1. The issue is a codec issue
2. If so, if the limitation is caused by the TV or the media servier
3. How to find out what the TV/media server will accept so I can convert to the required format.
4. Instead of converting my library, is it possible to install new software/codecs on the TV/media server?

The DLNA certificate does not seem to be available on the DLNA website, which I thought might give me the acceptable media formats.

Many thanks in advance for any responses!

Cheers

David

Apologies if this post is in the wrong place but it seems to be the best place from looking around.

Mod Edit: front tags removed

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick question about 24p playback. I know the set accepts but doesn't display in 24p but is it worth me setting my devices to output in 24p anyway?

Can anyone post some settings for the backlight, colour, brightness, contrast etc? I think the autoview is a bit too dark, so I changed to standard, but feel this isn't right either. I notice a lot of people were tinkering, can you share?

Hello all

I'm somewhat new to this although learning all the time, and wondered if someone could assist....

I have recently bought and installed a LG N1T1 media server to stream to my Toshiba 32RV753DB through my home network. The TV picks up the media server and the images/music and plays them fine. The problem is with the movies which the TV can 'see' but won't play, giving a "media playback error" and stating the length to be 00:00:00. I suspect the problem is a codec issue but have not been able to find out for sure.

I wondered if:
1. The issue is a codec issue
2. If so, if the limitation is caused by the TV or the media servier
3. How to find out what the TV/media server will accept so I can convert to the required format.
4. Instead of converting my library, is it possible to install new software/codecs on the TV/media server?

The DLNA certificate does not seem to be available on the DLNA website, which I thought might give me the acceptable media formats.

Many thanks in advance for any responses!

Cheers

David

Apologies if this post is in the wrong place but it seems to be the best place from looking around.

Mod Edit: front tags removed

Here is the cert: http://certification.dlna.org/certs/REG10125777(1).pdf

Also, you may not have what you think you have, I have a similar set up to you. I have the Netgear Stora which holds all my films etc. As far as I am aware the rv753 only plays .wmv and ts/vob. So your TV wont be able to stream from the NAS if they aren't in that format. I had to install Mezzmo on my PC in the loft which transcodes all file types on the fly and stream it to the TV. Not ideal, but it works now...

@neilcarden

many thanks for the reply! I have converted several files into wmv format but they don't seem to play - I wonder if there is a specific format within the wmv container that is required?

I wanted to avoid having my laptop on to act as a server, hence the LG media server, but short of converting my entire video library that doesn't seem possible.

Cheers

@neilcarden

many thanks for the reply! I have converted several files into wmv format but they don't seem to play - I wonder if there is a specific format within the wmv container that is required?

I wanted to avoid having my laptop on to act as a server, hence the LG media server, but short of converting my entire video library that doesn't seem possible.

Cheers

My predicament too, almost thought about swapping the NAS for low powered machine running Server 2008, so I only have one machine on all the time. Pain the backside really.

Not sure what the actual format the .wmv plays, but I am sure I have one I can try and find out tonight...

Yeah I see what you mean, I'm thinking of swapping the NAS too for the same reason!

If you could let me know what you find re .wmv files can be played that would be great!

Cheers

Yeah I see what you mean, I'm thinking of swapping the NAS too for the same reason!

If you could let me know what you find re .wmv files can be played that would be great!

Cheers

Hi, its a .wmv, 720x576, 2400-2600kbps, 25fps.

I dont know how to get other info from the file...

Toshiba 40BV700 any good does it have 24p support ?

@neilcarden
Brilliant, thanks very much! As other have said, I have learnt more from this website than any other customer service or technical team I have ever come across!

Cheers

David

I'm new here so excuse me if I've posted in the wrong place.

I recently bought Toshiba DVR19DT to go with my 32WLT66 and have been very pleased with it in respect of the picture quality and features.

Last week I decided to invest in a new TV as the 32WLT66 was 4 years old and had started to develop horizontal shadows, described by others for that set. Having read lots or reviews I purchased 32RV753 from Amazon due to it's excellent reviews and also the fact that it was equipt with Regza link and I should be able to control the DVR19DT from the TV set.

I tried over several days to set up the TV properly and am now quite pleased with the picture although the sound isn't as good as the old set (but that's another issue). However, I've been unable to get the Regza link function to work. The set keep saying (small banner at bottom of screen) "Not available". Yesterday I decided to contact Toshiba technical and spoke with a very nice helpful man there, who tried several times over the phone to give instructions how to set up the Regza link, without success. He then had a careful read of the manual for the DVR19DT and informed me that this machine could not be controlled by another device over the HDMI cable.
I informed him that Toshiba's own website lists this machine as being Regza link compatible.
"Hang on a minute" he says, and went off to check on their own website, and then came back saying, "Yes you're right it does say it is, I'll make some enquiries and get back to you, as this is not what the manual says."
A short while later, he rings back, and says he's made some enquiries and that none of Toshiba's DVD recorders are Regza link link compatible, although their top end machines are, but these are blue-ray format. So he's raised a complaint for me regarding the fact that they advertise the recorder as being Regza link compatible when in fact it's not!
Has anybody else had the same issue? Or, conversely have they managed to get their DVD recorder working with a Regza link DVD?
As an after-thought I went back to Toshiba's website and checked on all their DVD recorders, and I believe, without exception every single model listed states it's Regza link compatible and controllable from a compatible TV set. I toying with the idea of contacting trading standards.
Does anybody else have any thought or knowledge?

Last edited:
I have had similar problems with a Toshiba DVD player, also bought from Amazon and listed as being Regza link compatible. The player is not detected by the TV set (32RV753) as being a Regza device, whereas other non Toshiba DVD players have shown up on the TV as being Regza enabled!

I ended up sending the DVD player back to Amazon and am currently having John Lewis look at the TV under the warranty - I think the technology as a whole is very unreliable for some reason.

All in all, I think this does amount to false advertising but whether trading standards will look at it is another matter!

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply Davidsutton.
Your in a better position with your DVD player than I am I think. I bought my DVD recorder as a refurbished/customer return off Ebay with a 6 month warranty. Suspect the seller will say this isn't his problem and it's a manufacturer issue especialy as he will have relied on Toshiba's spec's. Then again I know my contracts with the seller and not Toshiba.
Sorry that your in the same boat as me but then glad I'm not alone in this.
What brands of DVD players did you find Regza compatible?
Have to admit it's very strange that other brands are Regza compatible and Toshiba machines clearly have issues. Does anyone out there have a another brand of Combo vcr/dvd recorder thats regza compatible with the 32RV753.
Really tempted to return the set to Amazon but from what I read there aren't any other TV's that match the 32RV753 for the price I paid, £299.00 brand new. Might consider the Samsung le32c530 that my sons just bought but it's not Freeview HD and it's higher priced.
The more I think about this the more angry I feel about being mislead by Toshiba's advertising and the specs they quote for their products.

Last edited:
I totally agree about being mislead by Toshiba! The DLNA feature on the 32RV753 is somewhat dissappointing too (which, incidentally, is the reason I started reading this forum!).

It was actually a Tesco Technika DVD upscaler that the TV detected as being Regza compatible, but again it wasn't truly controllable using the TV remote through the HDMI. I think the TV is very good apart from those two features being somewhat misleading, so depending how important they are to you (or just how angry you are with Toshiba!) returning the set might not be the best option. If it is a feature similar to Regza you are after you might well find other brands have similar flaws...maybe try to get a demo in a shop before buying?!

Hi Guys

There is a Firmware update which is due to be transmitted on the 11th of Feb starting at 10am in the morning.

More infomation can be found nearer the time

DTG :: DTT Receiver Downloads

The update is transmitted on the HD Mux so if you cannot receive HD channels where u are you will not be offered this update

Happy updating !!!

**For minor bug fixes**

Do we know what this firmware is going to fix? and is it available over the wired network?

There are no plans to have this on the Toshiba Server so far.

The firmware has some minor bug fixes and also 1080p/i issue with HD freeview.
You will also be given the option to Select Region when Auto tune completes. (This was not give to you with previous firmware)

I have a Toshiba 32RV753 but I'm not yet in a Freeview HD area.
The firmware update option is set to Auto and all that happened today was the loss of sound !
I had to power cycle it to get the sound back.
Why not transmit the update on a standard Freeview channel so all xxRV753 users can get it ?
That way when FreeviewHD becomes available in new areas users will already have the latest update and be ready to go.
Surely it's not in Toshiba's interest to have a mix of firmware on their units ?
More updates being sent out on USB pendrives like the recent HDMI/Sound distortion screw-up ? :rolleyes:

The HD mux can stream data faster.. so thats why its the chosen media to use, its about 25 mins to update with a good signal and no packet drop out.

The updates will not really make any difference to your set apart from the choice of region, if you were in an HD region you probably wouldnt even notice any difference in the firmware versions as the fix is for an issue which has not yet been seen in the UK..

So all I can say is hold tight, and when your area has the HD mux it will be transmitted again.

I have seen no difference when using the new firmware for the last few weeks apart from the region choice.

If the firmware update is set to auto will the TV prompt before running the update, run at night or will it just start when it's ready ?
Yesterday's sound loss gave me a sense of Deja vu as I had a Toshiba 32XV635(2009) last year.
That suffered from the power/startup (Freeview update?), HDMI/sound problems and picture breakup.
After sending it away to Toshiba to have it repaired, it was returned damaged so I had to sort a refund.
The 32RV753(2010) is the replacement.
As long as any critical updates are not planned for HDmux only, fine.

PLease find attached guide for OAD update.

Attachments

• OAD_Guide.pdf
    86.5 KB · Views: 1,859
*********************please note that you must reset the tv in the menu after update or you may have issues with text**********************

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom