Media player with built in HDD for under £100?

vipergrm

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

A friend of mine is looking for a media player for a christmas present. It must have a built in HDD (500GB+) and support mkv etc. The best thing I could find was the Western Digital Elements 1TB player for £110. I think this is unbelievable value but just before I reommend this, is there anything else I should consider?

Thanks! :smashin:

Should be okay, it only supports Dolby AC3 5.1 audio though no DTS downmix.

The Asus O!Play 2 is within your price range and is a better media player but comes with no internal HDD but it can take one, you'd have to supply your own if you have one spare.

The Western Digital Elements is cheap but you pay for you get. It has limited codec support and limited connections.

As suggested Asus O!play 2 would be a better option of WDTV Live Hub inc the HDD, £150 if you shop around.

Thanks for this guys! Sorry for the late response. I'll consider the Asus one too. Yes the lack of DTS downmixing catch my eye as a matter of fact but I'm pretty sure the intended recipient won't be concerned. 99% of what they have are DVD rips. Cheers!

That is pefect! Thanks Bagatanmd!

Bagatanmd - it doesn't look like this has an internal hard drive. :(

Sumvision Primus is available for £40 - which would let you fit almost a 2tb Hard Drive and come in just over £100 ... pretty basic little player and only drawback seems to be it doesn't play ISO's.

it has a usb host function so therefore there is a provision for installing a hard drive in there.

If you want a small and portable device I can recommend the Ider I-6:
futeko.com - IDER I6-FH

£46 for the device, and £45 ish for a 640GB 2.5" HD, so £90 total and it is absolutely tiny.
It can also be used as an external HDD, but is limited to just HDMI output and while it plays most 1080p mkvs fine, it downmixes all surround sound to 2.1.

Thanks. My friend has already ordered the other one along with a 2.5" removable hard drive so it's all good!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom