Memento - New Blu-Ray?

irascian

Ex Member
Reaction score
Anybody know how the new issue of Chris Nolan's "Memento" on Blu-Ray differes from the old one?

Empire magazine have reviewed it as if this were the first time it had been released. Is this just a re-release to cash in on "Inception" popularity or have they added anything to the original release?

So hard to get information these days. The latest "DVD and Blu-Ray review" has an ad from HMV that boasts "First time on DVD" for "Our Friends in the North" which is coming out in a week or two. Weird that - I've had it on DVD for years - and my version is four discs not three (and rated 18 not 15). Confused!

There is no "old one" for Memento, this is the first time it's being released on Blu-ray in the UK.

There is no "old one" for Memento, this is the first time it's being released on Blu-ray in the UK.

Ah! I must have imported my copy (of Memento) from USA via MovieTyme. Doh! Thanks for the clarification.

Will be interesting to see the specs on UK release- U.S. release was only a BD25, Mpeg-2 disc.

Hopefully those in charge of putting this BD together have shown it some serious respect!

Hopefully those in charge of putting this BD together have shown it some serious respect!

Really looking forward to a review of the UK disc too- I expect it will look very good. I have the U.S. mpeg-2 disc which looks quite good so will be interesting to see any improvements with better encode on UK version.

Really looking forward to a review of the UK disc too- I expect it will look very good. I have the U.S. mpeg-2 disc which looks quite good so will be interesting to see any improvements with better encode on UK version.

Me too. :thumbsup:

Please can someone point me in the right direction to access the special hidden feature : The begining of the end on the blu ray . I thought it would be the same as the dvd .

I've just had a look for it and I'll be buggered if I can find it. They've obviously made it fairly tricky. I have used MPC to watch it though and it's only presented in 576i, so no better than the DVD release.

I've just had a look for it and I'll be buggered if I can find it. They've obviously made it fairly tricky. I have used MPC to watch it though and it's only presented in 576i, so no better than the DVD release.

On blu ray it looks brilliant . I just hope this isn't another botched blu ray release by forgetting to include the special hidden feature : The beginning of the end .

I think you might have misunderstood me. I have the Blu-ray and the chronological version is on it, but only in standard definition so it's no better than the DVD version. I can't actually figure out how to access it without loading the .mt2s file directly, but I've watched the first five minutes so it's definitely on there.

*Edit* I figured it out. Start playing the film as normal and then access the pop-up menu. Go to the second page of extras and highlight 'Tattoo Gallery', then press left on your remote. The chronological version should kick off.

Last edited:
I think you might have misunderstood me. I have the Blu-ray and the chronological version is on it, but only in standard definition so it's no better than the DVD version. I can't actually figure out how to access it without loading the .mt2s file directly, but I've watched the first five minutes so it's definitely on there.

*Edit* I figured it out. Start playing the film as normal and then access the pop-up menu. Go to the second page of extras and highlight 'Tattoo Gallery', then press left on your remote. The chronological version should kick off.

I'm with you now . Thanks for posting , I would never have cracked it . I enjoy watching both versions of this brilliant movie .

Last edited:
Presume you two are proud owners of the new UK release? Don't suppose you could post your thoughts on the video/audio quality? I have the R1 limited edition DVD with the Mental Menu System (for comparison).

Thanks in advance!

Presume you two are proud owners of the new UK release? Don't suppose you could post your thoughts on the video/audio quality? I have the R1 limited edition DVD with the Mental Menu System (for comparison).

Thanks in advance!

I remember that mental menu system on the first UK dvd release. I hated it! As soon as the 3-disc edition came out I sold it and it actually paid for the 3-disc edition! :D

Not sure if I will buy Memento on blu though because it has never had much replay value for me, dont know why :confused:

I remember that mental menu system on the first UK dvd release. I hated it! As soon as the 3-disc edition came out I sold it and it actually paid for the 3-disc edition! :D

Not sure if I will buy Memento on blu though because it has never had much replay value for me, dont know why :confused:

Yeah, I'm sure somebody somewhere thought it was a really good idea! The packaging is the bigger pain, to be honest. It's never fun getting the disc case out of the cardboard sleeve.

Hoping the Blu-ray is a decent upgrade, I really am. This is one of my "all time top ten" choices, absolutely cracking film. Just when you think you've got it all sorted out, there's that brief "flashback" (or is it?) right at the end.....

Thanks in advance!

The image is sharp in detail but was surprised by the amount of specks and dirt on the transfer the sound quality seems spot on to me . Watched it on a Panasonic 50s10b , viewing distance 7 feet . The only down side the Special hidden feature : The beginning of the end is not 1080p just standard def .

Last edited:
A 10th Anniversary Edition has been announced for February and will have a remastered 1080p transfer supervised by Nolan:

"A double dip of Christopher Nolan's 2000 masterpiece is on the way in celebration of the film's 10th anniversary this February!

In an early announcement to retailers, Lionsgate says the mysterious crime thriller 'Memento: 10th Anniversary Edition' will hit Blu-ray on February 22.

Suspenseful and unique, 'Memento' stars Guy Pearce ('The Hurt Locker') as Leonard, a man who suffers from a rare brain disorder on a mission for revenge.

The Blu-ray will feature a re-mastered 1080p transfer supervised by Nolan, a brand new featurette with the director discussing the legacy of the film, plus the director's script, audio commentary with Christopher Nolan, the original short story, "Anatomy of a Scene" and more!"

Blu-ray News and Reviews | High-Def Digest

Suggested list price for the Blu-ray is $19.99.

A 10th Anniversary Edition has been announced for February and will have a remastered 1080p transfer supervised by Nolan:

"A double dip of Christopher Nolan's 2000 masterpiece is on the way in celebration of the film's 10th anniversary this February!

In an early announcement to retailers, Lionsgate says the mysterious crime thriller 'Memento: 10th Anniversary Edition' will hit Blu-ray on February 22.

Suspenseful and unique, 'Memento' stars Guy Pearce ('The Hurt Locker') as Leonard, a man who suffers from a rare brain disorder on a mission for revenge.

The Blu-ray will feature a re-mastered 1080p transfer supervised by Nolan, a brand new featurette with the director discussing the legacy of the film, plus the director's script, audio commentary with Christopher Nolan, the original short story, "Anatomy of a Scene" and more!"

Blu-ray News and Reviews | High-Def Digest

Suggested list price for the Blu-ray is $19.99.

Is this referring to a new U.S.release?....surely it will be the same then as the recent UK release..?

Nope. It's the same transfer/master used for the Sony US release, but with better compression.

EDIT *Damn you, Paku, lol*

No, the UK disc has the same transfer as the old US disc from Sony.

But I thought the UK disc was a 50GB Mpeg-4 AVC and the old US disc is Mpeg2 on a 25GB disc...?
...so the new US release is identical to the recent UK? :confused:

Last edited:
But I thought the UK disc was a 50GB Mpeg-4 AVC and the old US disc is Mpeg2 on a 25GB disc...?
...so the new US release is identical to the recent UK? :confused:
Same master used, different codec.

This new US release will allegedly feature another transfer.

Same master used, different codec.

This new US release will allegedly feature another transfer.

ok gotcha...will wait and see how it looks then- :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom