Panasonic V20 info/reviews/owners thread *Part 2*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really thinking of getting the 42 v20, as a upgrade from my 3 year old sony 32 d3000.only thing in worried about is the noise of the fans. but currently im using a 360 too stream media from my pc.so long as the fan noises are less than that i can live with it.. I also have monitor audio 7.1 which should dRown out any fan noises

Really thinking of getting the 42 v20, as a upgrade from my 3 year old sony 32 d3000.only thing in worried about is the noise of the fans. but currently im using a 360 too stream media from my pc.so long as the fan noises are less than that i can live with it.. I also have monitor audio 7.1 which should dRown out any fan noises

If the fans are going to bother you that much then go for a G20, no fans included :thumbsup:

Personally though I'd rather have the best display available on the market at present (aside from the VT20)

So effectively I could still use the HDMI switcher (which can be controlled with my Harmony One and then use the V20's optical out. This means I can do away with the manual (I have to get my arse off the settee) switch.

Am I correct in my thinking?

Problem is as far as I understand it optical cant bitstream like HDMI and I want un-touched sound going to my av so was hoping that this set could send audio untouched via HDMI....anybody about that knows this stuff? I'm still learning myself.

I cant hear the fans over my PS3 if that helps? PS3 is at worse as loud as an Xbox.

Last edited:
BBC1, BBC2, SKY 1, 2, 3 were affected yesterday, Watch, GOLD, Dave, BBC3, BBC4, SyFy, Sky Sports 2, BBC News.

Thanks for offering to help out, look forward to reading your findings.

I recorded some footage and watched them on my PC, anticipating that the source would be messed up. Well, it turns out Sky's encoders are just fine as was unable to notice any motion-related artifacting (some encoders use motion blur to prevent MPEG blockiness).

Hopefully I'll get my V20 soon so I can test this properly. My next theory however, is that the scaler inside the Sky HD box isn't doing a particularly good job at upscaling SD material. I'll report back once I have some useful info.

I am unsure as to whether I should pay for ISF Calibration, who amongst you are considering this and is it necessary. I want the best picture quality available but is it worth it? :confused:

ifcmonkey. My V20 arrives today at some point (it's 3 AM now and I cant sleep:laugh:). I'm going to give this set a bit of "inhouse" calibration and see how it goes. It deserves it!

I am unsure as to whether I should pay for ISF Calibration, who amongst you are considering this and is it necessary. I want the best picture quality available but is it worth it? :confused:

I will consider it. Phil mentions in his review that after calibration the v20 was very close to the lx5090. Mine in either thx or pro is miles off at the moment althougt its only got 30 hours on it so far I can't believe after a 100 or so it will improve that much. So I would assume it will benefit greatly from the ISF treatment.

Please im looking to buy the V 20 ,but i need to know are there any issues with gaming .Whats this pholsher trailing or waht ever its called?

Anyone with this TV use ps3/360 notice anything ? Please

Iv had enough of LCDS/LEDS as they clearly have issues i hate ,motion blur /clouding/black trailing etc :cool:

Please im looking to buy the V 20 ,but i need to know are there any issues with gaming .Whats this pholsher trailing or waht ever its called?

Anyone with this TV use ps3/360 notice anything ? Please

Iv had enough of LCDS/LEDS as they clearly have issues i hate ,motion blur /clouding/black trailing etc :cool:

Plasma'a are better for gaming than LCD/LEDS's there is very little lag time with the V20, I have a 360 and a PS3 and will be doing plenty of gaming on mine. My freind has the previous model the V10 and games look immense on it. I expect a similar outcome if not better with the V20. :thumbsup:

I will consider it. Phil mentions in his review that after calibration the v20 was very close to the lx5090. Mine in either thx or pro is miles off at the moment althougt its only got 30 hours on it so far I can't believe after a 100 or so it will improve that much. So I would assume it will benefit greatly from the ISF treatment.

I've PM'd a forum member in Sheffield and asked for a quote, will get the tv calibrated after 200 hours to make sure its settled in. Are you able to view the panel on time somehow in the menus or do I need to track time manually?

I've PM'd a forum member in Sheffield and asked for a quote, will get the tv calibrated after 200 hours to make sure its settled in. Are you able to view the panel on time somehow in the menus or do I need to track time manually?

You'd need to go in to the service menu and not everyone is comfortable doing that...

Can tell you, if you like:)

You'd need to go in to the service menu and not everyone is comfortable doing that...

Can tell you, if you like:)

I'm fine with that, I used to do it all the time with my Sammy, just won't touch anything else. So yeah if you can let me know how that would be great :thumbsup:

I'm fine with that, I used to do it all the time with my Sammy, just won't touch anything else. So yeah if you can let me know how that would be great :thumbsup:

Cool.

Hold down V- on TV whilst Pressing 0 on Remote x 3
Press 2 to get to SRV-TOOL
Press OK to Enter
Navigate to Bottom Right Hand Cell with Directional Buttons
Hold Down Mute for a Few Seconds
Voila:D

Keep Exit/Return Held Down to Reboot:)

to all those concerned with fan noise and buzz it in no way at all is as loud as an xbox or ps3, no where near:smashin: we are just fuzzt swines lol:hiya:

I'm amazed at how some people are talking about fan noise. Just to confirm, I muted everything this morning and stuck my head right up to the panel and still can only detect the most miniscule of ambient noise. OMG, maybe it's me and I'm going deaf?! My PS3 has got fan noise and its very noticeable and even my sky box is louder than the V20 when it's fan kicks in! The screen is nowhere near as loud as either of these because as I said, it's almost undetectable.

Last edited:
Found a good example of floating blacks right at the beginning of the Dark Knight on bluray. Just after the DC comics logo appears and the bat comes out of the dark in the smoke the whole screens black level jumps for a split second. It does it every time on mine.

Not noticed it at all during the rest of the film or any other time. Not too concerned about it just thought I'd mention it as its a good example for those who don't know what to look for.

On a more positive note I have not seen any colour banding that would concern me on bluray so far, flesh tones look good. I only seem to notice dodgy flesh tones and colour banding on skyhd, and even then its only now and then.

Agree it's no where near as bad as a PS3 etc, but it's louder than my old PX60 and noticable to me at normal viewing distance at anything below a reasonable volume level. It's also at an annoying pitch which bothers me.

Hoping anyone that gets a panasonic person to come and look at theirs can post back here to comment on whether it varies from batch to batch, or whether they're all the same and some of us are just more sensitive to it! At the moment I'm 50:50 about sending the set back....

Correction, after close inspection its not the whole screen that jumps up it just the bars at top and bottom (2.35) the black level stays risen for about 2 seconds until the first scene come up.

Interestingly though for the life of me I can't work out what causes it because it doesn't do it anywhere else and there are plenty of other scenes which have a similar ammount of light and dark area's on screen:confused:

Maybe its something to do with the pixels idling.

Anyone else got a copy of DK on blu?? if so give it a look, need to be in a fairly dark room to notice it.

Interestingly though for the life of me I can't work out what causes it because it doesn't do it anywhere else and there are plenty of other scenes which have a similar ammount of light and dark area's on screen:confused:

I'm pretty sure I gave you that exact same reply in the floating blacks thread Craig. It does some to be pretty random yet repeatable:)

I do find that the whole screen jumps up in contrast but it's mightily difficult to perceive it between the bars. I saw an instance in Britain's Got Talent, last week, where somebody wearing some bright jewellery moved in to shot behind Morgan and the whole screen flashed up, just for a micro second. Like you say, it's not a killer but it can be distracting.

I'm pretty sure I gave you that exact same reply in the floating blacks thread Craig. It does some to be pretty random yet repeatable:)

I do find that the whole screen jumps up in contrast but it's mightily difficult to perceive it between the bars. I saw an instance in Britain's Got Talent, last week, where somebody wearing some bright jewellery moved in to shot behind Morgan and the whole screen flashed up, just for a micro second. Like you say, it's not a killer but it can be distracting.

Sorry if I missed your post or forgot it:rolleyes:

In a way I'm glad I've seen it because I was unsure what to look for before. I tried watching the scene with the curtains open and there was no way I could detect it, can't miss it in a dark room though.

Provided it doesn't show up during a film at any point or in normal tv viewing then I will not have a problem with it.

Agree it's no where near as bad as a PS3 etc, but it's louder than my old PX60 and noticable to me at normal viewing distance at anything below a reasonable volume level. It's also at an annoying pitch which bothers me.

Hoping anyone that gets a panasonic person to come and look at theirs can post back here to comment on whether it varies from batch to batch, or whether they're all the same and some of us are just more sensitive to it! At the moment I'm 50:50 about sending the set back....

Maybe it does vary from batch to batch. Had it on at a low volume last night due to our sleeping baby, sitting about 10 feet away and couldn't hear anything even with fluctuating scenes. Not noticed floating blacks yet either but will start looking closely. Are all of my senses shutting down? Best go to my GP for a health check!

My dealer told me it's all about bandwidth with hdmi cables. Cheaper can't handle the high demands required to carry all that hi-def information at 1080p ;)

Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom