Philips/Pace HDT 8520 HD-PVR Master thread inc. Bug and Issues List [Part One]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The type of EPG I'd like to see on the Philips would be similar to this

53414-albums279-picture5179.jpg

This is taken from a cheap Goodmans box, so can't see why Pace couldn't do something similar.

I prefer this over the current Philips EGP because:
  • It has channels numbers
  • It has current time as well as date
  • It has live tv window
  • Selecting ok on current programme goes to that channel
  • You can use P+ & P- button on remote to page up and page down the channel list
  • Shows which programmes are broadcast in surround sound
  • Coloured buttons can be used to browse forward in time in 2hr and 24hr steps

For some more detail see http://www.thesupportsite.co.uk/repository/UserGuides/Goodmans_GDB300HD.pdf

Hi Phil

Although the Signal Quality meter for all channels is always green (100%), the Signal Strength more or less continually changes from just into green to only showing a couple of centimetres of Red.

It did drop the signal a number of times last night but this did not always occur when the signal strength meter was showing a very low reading.

As my Humax 9200 PVR and TV are connected after the Philips box, the signal drop also affects them.

I will check the 'Auto Channel Update' option later to see if it improves by switching it to Off and report the outcome.

I mistakenly thought I could switch off 'Auto Channel Update' but I can only switch off 'Automatic Update' which is only active in standby so should not have any affect on signal strength.

I have just run through the Signal Quality readouts and all are at 100% for Signal Quality but vary in Signal Strength as follows:

Crystal Palace - approx %

34 75% (Green)

32 20% (Orange) to 45% (Yellow)

29 45% (Yellow) to 55% (Green)

28 10% (Orange) to 'flashes' of 100% (Green)

25 60% (Green)

22 0% to 10% (Orange) to 'flashes' of 100% (Green)

Not sure why it is so mixed. Is it the Signal Meter that has a 'bug' or the actual signal?

Does anyone on Crystal Palace get similar/better/worst results?

Last edited:
Hi

I mistakenly thought I could switch off 'Auto Channel Update' but I can only switch off 'Automatic Update' which is only active in standby so should not have any affect on signal strength.

I have just run through the Signal Quality readouts and all are at 100% for Signal Quality but vary in Signal Strength as follows:

Crystal Palace - approx %

34 75% (Green)

32 20% (Orange) to 45% (Yellow)

29 45% (Yellow) to 55% (Green)

28 10% (Red) to 'flashes' of 100% (Green)

25 60% (Green)

22 0% to 10% (Red) to 'flashes' of 100% (Green)

Not sure why it is so mixed. Is it the Signal Meter that has a 'bug' or the actual signal?

Does anyone on Crystal Palace get similar/better/worst results?

I see you also get the flashing signal strength between Red and Green, will add this to the bug list as I saw this as well. Actual reception was fine so must be a bug.

Signal strength can vary between channels, but is the Pace reporting it correctly, who knows. Quality is the important one and that you don't have any issues with watching.

Regards

Phil

Hi

The update available for download is not for the HDT8520 but the DTR5520, incorrectly labelled, just another issue to add I suppose. Luckily it isn't being accepted by the HDT8520 which otherwise might have bricked it.

Regards

Phil

I had a chat with live support, I posted my conversation with them in the thread i linked, the support guy seemed to not really know what was going on, but i'm guessing what you say is likly true, although they haven't taken the firmware down since i told them of the problem, i'm guessing that there is meant to be a update there for the 8520 but the wrong file got zipped up, just a guess on my part.

More problems with timers...urgent help please

After the programme repeats and +1s being picked up when using the series link option (See previous posts in this thread) I decided to use the recored single programme setting.

To my amazement when I set Fraizer for recording on 4HD at 8am it was also recorded at 9am on 4+1. I have just tried setting a single timer for Eastenders tonight on BBC1 and it has highlighted the BBC3 repeat for recording.

So I can find out if this is a common bug or just my machine can anybody check to see if they get the same results on their unit.

Thanks....:thumbsup:

Can anyone check to see if this happens on their machine please.

If it's only on mine then it's going back.

Thanks.

Hi

I see you also get the flashing signal strength between Red and Green, will add this to the bug list as I saw this as well. Actual reception was fine so must be a bug.

Signal strength can vary between channels, but is the Pace reporting it correctly, who knows. Quality is the important one and that you don't have any issues with watching.

Regards

Phil

Thanks Phil.

As per my previous post, it would be good to have separate Digital Output setting options for SD and HD to get the best possible picture.

Maybe this could be added to item 12 under Usability Issues.

Also, probably pushing our luck but, could you add PIP and/or PAP options under the Wish List please.

Hi

Thanks Phil.

As per my previous post, it would be good to have separate Digital Output setting options for SD and HD to get the best possible picture.

Maybe this could be added to item 12 under Usability Issues.

Also, probably pushing our luck but, could you add PIP and/or PAP options under the Wish List please.

Have added. I've put the digital output settings under wish-list as I don't think any currently shipping bit of kit that supports SD and HD (like Blu-ray) supports this (let me know if wrong), even though it is a good idea, so felt it bit unkind to Pace to suggest it was missing functionality that really should be there, which is where we are going with the usability issues, i.e. other boxes have this stuff and we expect it on the Pace.. Hope that is okay.

Regards

Phil

If it's only on mine then it's going back.

Thanks.

Hi daveh48

This may not help in your case but I noticed that when you highlight each scheduled recording of the same program on different channels, RED text appears indicating which program is set to record and which program(s) will not record, e.g HD program records and SD program does not.

Hi

Have added. I've put the digital output settings under wish-list as I don't think any currently shipping bit of kit that supports SD and HD (like Blu-ray) supports this (let me know if wrong), even though it is a good idea, so felt it bit unkind to Pace to suggest it was missing functionality that really should be there, which is where we are going with the usability issues, i.e. other boxes have this stuff and we expect it on the Pace.. Hope that is okay.

Regards

Phil

That's fine Phil, thanks.

EDIT Just noticed item 5 under Wish List should read 'Be able to set specific HDMI resolution when playing/viewing HD, and set a specific resolution when playing/viewing SD. This over-rides the original and auto settings (suggested by bishipsfinger here)

Last edited:
Thanks Phil.

Maybe this could be added to item 12 under Usability Issues
What sort of seperate settings were you thinking of?

Orignal allows 1080i for HD then does 576p for SD, although I believe SD at 576p is incorrect if Original is supposed to pass through as broadcast (576i).

If it's only on mine then it's going back
I noticed something strange at the weekend I'd not posted as I wanted to check it out further.

I have Series Link setup for Dr Who on BBC HD Sat nights. I then setup a single recording for the BBC 3 repeat on Sun night as I wanted to compare Accurate Record between HD & SD channels. When selecting Dr Who on BBC3 it highlight Red, but I noticed message at bottom of EPG saying recording had been rescheduled, looked at Scheduled Recording list and nothing was listed, so I expected the recording to fail which it duly did.

Not sure if it is at all relevant to your problem but thought I'd share my experience.

What sort of seperate settings were you thinking of?

Orignal allows 1080i for HD then does 576p for SD, although I believe SD at 576p is incorrect if Original is supposed to pass through as broadcast (576i).

Hi JeffD

Still trying different settings but would prefer to see an option to set HD and SD separately rather than having to choose one to cover both HD and SD.

I noticed something strange at the weekend I'd not posted as I wanted to check it out further.

I have Series Link setup for Dr Who on BBC HD Sat nights. I then setup a single recording for the BBC 3 repeat on Sun night as I wanted to compare Accurate Record between HD & SD channels. When selecting Dr Who on BBC3 it highlight Red, but I noticed message at bottom of EPG saying recording had been rescheduled, looked at Scheduled Recording list and nothing was listed, so I expected the recording to fail which it duly did.

Not sure if it is at all relevant to your problem but thought I'd share my experience.

as far as i know the series link would have added the repeat on BBC3 as part of it's series recording, it's how my old ALBA SD DTR did things and it could be the case with the philips, adding the single bbc recording would be a duplicate and such wouldn't record it.

Hi daveh48

This may not help in your case but I noticed that when you highlight each scheduled recording of the same program on different channels, RED text appears indicating which program is set to record and which program(s) will not record, e.g HD program records and SD program does not.

Thanks for both posts.....

Yes I've had this myself but I've also had all the red highlighted programmes record too. There just doesn't seem to be any logic in it.

As I said I had Frazier set to record once on 4hd and also got 4+1 airing and this wasn't a series timer but was treated like one.

Also been getting timer conflicts cropping up for no apparent reason again no logic as it doesn't always happen so you can't track it down.

This really is getting annoying :mad:

JeffD: As far as the accurate recording goes that seems to be mostly pretty good but again not consistent. At least it's not chopping off the end of programmes....mind you, famous last words. Would still prefer to have timer padding.

JeffD: As far as the accurate recording goes that seems to be mostly pretty good but again not consistent. At least it's not chopping off the end of programmes....mind you, famous last words. Would still prefer to have timer padding.
I've not had any problems with Accurate Record so far, I was just curious if there was any difference between HD & SD channels and thought best test would be same episode on BBC HD and one of BBC SD channels. I work on complex communication systems providing technical support so I've a very inquisitive nature, part of my job involves trying to break things before they are released to customers :rotfl:

I've a very inquisitive nature, part of my job involves trying to break things before they are released to customers :rotfl:

I think Philips beat you to it mate :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

How about this one for the "Wish List" Phil....

I realise it's a bit "Blue Sky".. and possibly a little too cutting-edge, but any chance of a "Clock".

You know Mr Pace, the kind of clock that shows on the VFD/LED display, when "every other" set-top box ever made, shows when in standby (or otherwise). Assuming of course it has a suitable display.

I can't believe the display hardware can't handle it... so why isn't it there ?

It can't be a power-saving feature as those displays draw next-to-nothing.

I miss my clock and don't want to get my fat *rse of the sofa to check or boot up the Philips to check on screen. There's always my wrist watch I guess... but that means looking to my left :rolleyes:

The update available for download is not for the HDT8520 but the DTR5520, incorrectly labelled, just another issue to add I suppose. Luckily it isn't being accepted by the HDT8520 which otherwise might have bricked it.

Hi Phil, have had this back from PACE customer support:

"There is not an update planned until June at the earliest for this product, Philips appear to have made an error on their website, this software is for the standard set top box not the PVR."

Hi Phil, have had this back from PACE customer support:

"There is not an update planned until June at the earliest for this product, Philips appear to have made an error on their website, this software is for the standard set top box not the PVR."

Hi cb

I have just downloaded the update from the HDT8520 'support' website again and it is still the wrong update.

We really do need an 'official statement' from Philips/Pace, acknowledging the faults/bugs/unfinished software etc., clearly setting out what they intend to do about it and over what time scale.

If Philips/Pace do not take effective action pdq they risk loosing the goodwill of early adopters and could be inundated with returned boxes which are not IMO, as they are currently sold, fit for purpose.

I hope Philips/Pace are taking note.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom