Pioneer KURO 9G Owners Thread part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you access the service menu on a 5090H via the same method used for a 436XDE?

I have had a LX5090H for a week now (was mounted on Wednesday) and I just want to check the hours viewed.

I have the breaking in settings applied for Sky HD and BD.

Is there any golden rule regarding the 360? I was going to go with slingshot's XBox settings, but am losing myself in these giant threads!

Disagree, I get the opposite on mine. You do have to tell the TV it is a full RGB signal when you output Enhanced from the Xbox, you can't just leave it on auto.

I'm inclined to agree with you here Simon as I've always been about the 360's Expanded Reference setting..however I ask all of you to read post #8 and #9 of highdefforum.
After reading that I'm starting to doubt the 360's way of mapping the RGB levels again when using a HDMI-connected 360 to a HD Tv capable of handling full RGB input signals.
Here's the Thread

Can you access the service menu on a 5090H via the same method used for a 436XDE?

I have had a LX5090H for a week now (was mounted on Wednesday) and I just want to check the hours viewed.

Chelsea_Fan can help you with that.
Checking the # of hours viewed can be accessed with a simple RS-232 command to the TV.
Not that I can but even if I knew how, I wouldn't advise people to access the service menu since too many times and Pioneer will invalidate your warranty.

Just improved the SD picture on my LX5090 by changing my SKY+ PACE Box contrast setting to 'low' and LX5090 to drive mode 2 (was only using drive mode 1 but have only had the panel a week!). Has improved the SD picture although I thought it was pretty good already. SKY HD being installed tomorrow... subject to the snow...

Just improved the SD picture on my LX5090 by changing my SKY+ PACE Box contrast setting to 'low' and LX5090 to drive mode 2 (was only using drive mode 1 but have only had the panel a week!). Has improved the SD picture although I thought it was pretty good already. SKY HD being installed tomorrow... subject to the snow...

Hey chris91972 :hiya:
Don't have Sky myself but many others have reported DM2 being correct with Sky broadcasting in PAL 50, set PC to off.

I have the breaking in settings applied for Sky HD and BD.

Is there any golden rule regarding the 360? I was going to go with slingshot's XBox settings, but am losing myself in these giant threads!

You can get the hours used with my program here:
4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download piotime_setup.exe

It doesn't access service/factory mode to get the data so you can run the program lots of times.

But you do need the correct serial cable (not null modem)

It should work with win9x/ME/NT/2K/XP but it is untested on Win7 or Vista.

It gives panel hours plus the number or times it has been power cycled plus the temperature data for the TV.

Most agree that SKY contrast is best set to medium :)

Hey chris91972 :hiya:
Don't have Sky myself but many others have reported DM2 being correct with Sky broadcasting in PAL 50, set PC to off.

Thanks Razrx,

Excuse my ignorance but by PC I assume you mean power control? Cheers

Thanks Razrx,

Excuse my ignorance but by PC I assume you mean power control? Cheers

No, when PC is used we mean Pure Cinema.
Power Control modes lets you supress the plasma buzz but it will produce a slightly worse picture so when the buzz is not audible, don't start listening for it if you haven't noticed it so far tho :D

all sky+ boxes need to be set to low
all sky Hd boxes need to be set to medium

hope thta helps i have read this in other forums to.

Power Control modes lets you supress the plasma buzz but it will produce a slightly worse picture so when the buzz is not audible, don't start listening for it if you haven't noticed it so far tho :D

Great thank you note pure cinema set to off.

Yes I did notice the 'buzz' however I have moved the mains cable away from all my other cabling (it's not touching any other cables) and plugged directly into the wall socket instead of an extension which has made the buzz less noticeable. This of course could be some kind of self induced placebo effect as we all want our expensive panels to be perfect or I'm simply not listening out for it any more but to my mind the buzz is not now noticeable :thumbsup:

Last edited:
all sky+ boxes need to be set to low
all sky Hd boxes need to be set to medium

hope thta helps i have read this in other forums to.

Thank you Meridius will have a play around with the settings. Sky have cancelled the HD installation today due to the engineer being snow bound :thumbsdow

Thank you Medz1 will have a play around with the settings. Sky have cancelled the HD installation today due to the engineer being snow bound :thumbsdow

Great thank you note pure cinema set to off.

Yes I did notice the 'buzz' however I have moved the mains cable away from all my other cabling (it's not touching any other cables) and plugged directly into the wall socket instead of an extension which has made the buzz less noticeable. This of course could be some kind of self induced placebo effect as we all want our expensive panels to be perfect or I'm simply not listening out for it any more but to my mind the buzz is not now noticeable :thumbsup:

Good to hear you no longer notice it :thumbsup:
People who have their set wall mounted have noticed it more, myself included.
I've already upgraded my power extension to a more fancy one which also is power-surge protected but that hasn't improved it for me.
I will look for a foam solution next to help supress the buzzing noise.

Razrx, another question for you please. I have my multiregion DVD player connected via component inputs as the majority of my DVD's are Region 1 NTSC to enable 480p progressive scan output, again which drive mode would be optimum I'm guessing drive mode 1? (Still deciding on a Blue Ray player).

Medium is for HD boxes, although I've only read of this being confirmed for Samsung and Thomsons. I've seen no comment regarding Pace and Amstrad, although my intial thought with the Pace box was Low, but after further experimentation I think I was wrong and Medium is optimum. I'm not certain though.

Medium and High clip white on Sky + Pace boxes (Not sure about other makes), so Low is the optimum setting for these.

Razrx, another question for you please. I have my multiregion DVD player connected via component inputs as the majority of my DVD's are Region 1 NTSC to enable 480p progressive scan output, again which drive mode would be optimum I'm guessing drive mode 1? (Still deciding on a Blue Ray player).

Leave it on DM1, however mind that drive modes only affect 50Hz sources.
Since your dvd player will probably be outputting in 480p/60 I'd leave it in DM1 and set PC to standard.

Leave it on DM1, however mind that drive modes only affect 50Hz sources.
Since your dvd player will probably be outputting in 480p/60 I'd leave it in DM1 and set PC to standard.

Thanks again. Yes the LX5090 is recognising a 480p input (picture is fantastic although I don't think it's being up-scaled). What is the difference between 'standard' and 'advance' in PC settings?

You can get the hours used with my program here:
4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download piotime_setup.exe

It doesn't access service/factory mode to get the data so you can run the program lots of times.

But you do need the correct serial cable (not null modem)

It should work with win9x/ME/NT/2K/XP but it is untested on Win7 or Vista.

It gives panel hours plus the number or times it has been power cycled plus the temperature data for the TV.

Thanks for that but I wouldn't have the first clue on how to perform that operation properly and I have never hooked up a PC to any kind of screen. I also have an IMAC at the moment so am Windowless.
So I presume there is no way of accessing the hours viewed via the remote on a 5090H?

Also, I am using ********'s running in settings via "Movie". Is it ok to also apply the same setting in "User"?

I know in time after 500 hours and an ISF calibration I should notice how great these screens are but I can't help but feel underwhelmed at the moment as the picture looks so soft using the running in settings via "Movie". I think that previously having a 436XDE has taken the edge away.

Thanks again. Yes the LX5090 is recognising a 480p input (picture is fantastic although I don't think it's being up-scaled). What is the difference between 'standard' and 'advance' in PC settings?

Take a look at THIS info, should help you out.

Disagree, I get the opposite on mine. You do have to tell the TV it is a full RGB signal when you output Enhanced from the Xbox, you can't just leave it on auto.

my input 4 is shared with my bluray player, so i'd have to mess about with swapping hdmi from auto etc wouldn't i ? bluray= pure mode 360= game mode. love my pic settings, so not thinking i'm missing out olour wise, but always open to options and advice. they can be too dark if you have something wrong though.

Thanks for that but I wouldn't have the first clue on how to perform that operation properly and I have never hooked up a PC to any kind of screen. I also have an IMAC at the moment so am Windowless.
So I presume there is no way of accessing the hours viewed via the remote on a 5090H?

Also, I am using ********'s running in settings via "Movie". Is it ok to also apply the same setting in "User"?

I know in time after 500 hours and an ISF calibration I should notice how great these screens are but I can't help but feel underwhelmed at the moment as the picture looks so soft using the running in settings via "Movie". I think that previously having a 436XDE has taken the edge away.

my mate had a 436, which was massively sharper than my 508 and krp. he bought my 508, and although superior in every other way, just was nowhere near as sharp.
i have always argued on here that sharpness at -15 is way to soft, and in fact over softens the image. The range is -15 to +15, so a value somewhere in the middle would make more sense for an image not to be artificially sharpened. I have mine around -4 or -5, as on my screen, that value is neither softening or sharpening the picture. ******** is the guy to speak to about this, i'm just glad that someone with some serious credibility on here backs up what i have always believed.

my input 4 is shared with my bluray player, so i'd have to mess about with swapping hdmi from auto etc wouldn't i ? bluray= pure mode 360= game mode. love my pic settings, so not thinking i'm missing out olour wise, but always open to options and advice. they can be too dark if you have something wrong though.
There is no difference between standard ref level(360) and auto (KURO) which selects 16-235 whith the 360 over HDMI than expanded on the 360 and option 4 on the pio (0-255). The HDMI equipped 360 with the HANA scaler remaps Video/pc levels correctly. I spent an unhealthy amount of time on the 360 switching between these options. When I used a greyscale chart it is easy to see that the 360 maps the video/PC levels correctly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom